• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    What would be your firearm of choice to handle sick or injured critters of this size?

I saw a neighbor try to take down an injured raccoon and it was painful to watch. There was no reason he couldn't get a clean shot, but he ended up putting a dozen .22 rounds into the poor critter before it expired. I'd like to be a little more humane than that.. but I also don't want to go crazy. What would you use in this situation? I'd like to be able to put them down AQAP but without making a mess any more than I need to.. plus I don't want to scare any children-types with large scary firearms or wide-ranging splatters of animal bits..

Thoughts?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What would be your firearm of choice to handle sick or injured critters of this size?

I saw a neighbor try to take down an injured raccoon and it was painful to watch. There was no reason he couldn't get a clean shot, but he ended up putting a dozen .22 rounds into the poor critter before it expired. I'd like to be a little more humane than that.. but I also don't want to go crazy. What would you use in this situation? I'd like to be able to put them down AQAP but without making a mess any more than I need to.. plus I don't want to scare any children-types with large scary firearms or wide-ranging splatters of animal bits..

Thoughts?

Just curious, but was he head shooting the raccoon? That doesn't seem to work to well on them. A good shot through lungs is best.

Possums are tough critters too. As a kid, I pinned one to the barn wall through the chest with a pitch fork late one evening (was in hen house sucking eggs)......it was still kicking in the morning.....

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    Ive made a living as wildlife control operator, trapped thousands of coons in my 43 years. (not to mention 20 years of coon hunting...nobody uses anything but a 22 on them) a 22 to the head will kill them on the spot. their skulls are not that thick. A sharp smack on the back of the head with a stick or hammer will kill them dead too.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, I can vouch for the shooter - he's horrible! I couldn't see the points of impact, but the critter looked like it had taken birdshot all over the body.

I'm not much of a hunter myself, but if I had to put an animal down, I'd like to be able to do it as quickly/quietly/effectively as possible. And if this guy is around, I'm gonna have to step up to the plate and take that shot - I just didn't know if a .22 was sufficient or not. Guess I should outfit the rifle and start practicing on raccoon-sized targets..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    he may have also had incorrect ammo for the job..
    some "hyper velocity" 22lr gets that fast from really light bullets..
    the bullet might not stay together enough to get into chest...

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I know for a fact that it was that green-box Remington bulk ammo.. is that (should that) be good for this?

Not sure about the Remington green box. None of my .22s ever liked to eat the Remington. However, WWB works just fine.

Live traps work great. If you're worried about shooting it and have a creek, stream, or lake nearby, just put the live trap on the water and drown the coon. My neighbor does that. He caught 6 this past summer. That's a good. O mess option without doing a poisoned egg or something that dogs or cats could get after.

A .22 will work just fine provided you can hit a vital. Do the live trap, put your .22 on the base of the skull where the spine and skull come together and shoot. Just gotta be quick.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    (as odd as it may sound) the live, healthy ones don't bother me so much. It's the ones that are half-dead, injured, sick, etc that I'm going to be dealing with..

Top Bottom