• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just looking at his right side I see 45 inches of tine length (4+9+9+2+23 main), plus 15ish more in mass that puts him 60"ish for his right side alone. I don't think his left side is quite as good, but let's just call it 60 too. We are now to 120 before adding the inside spread. He's narrow and tall, so even a 14" spread will put him over 130.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I let those bucks go but not everyone has the same needs in season.

A buck itself self is a trophy to many. I understand that. Back in the 1980's a good season might have been seeing a buck.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    And a steak doesn't look good on the wall:nuts:. I have absolutely no issues with people that strictly hunt for meat. I don't see why they have issues with me who kills does for meat, and lets the bucks grow up.

Taxidermy fees are too high and I don't have a good spot to hang it. I do however have my own cemmercial grinder, tenderizer and dehydrator. I also have the sleeves for the grinder to stuff cases. I haven't hunted in several years though :-(

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I hunt horns for the challenge. I enjoy the hunt itself much more than the kill. I passed on quite a few bucks last year because they weren't one of the three we were after and we didn't take any does off of the farm so my season yielded no venison. My hunting partner got the number 1 buck on the farm after I had to go back to work.

I did get to spend 140+ hours sitting in stands though so I consider it a highly successful season. I've got 23 days set aside for this season and if I end up with no venison again I'll still consider it a success. We hunt the biggest and most mature bucks on the farm because they present the biggest challenge. Add in the fact that we hunt as a team with one of us filming the other and it becomes a pretty extreme challenge and I love it. If I get a buck I'll eat him and we may take a couple of does this season but for me, it's mainly about being out there.

chato

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks for the responses. That gives me a better idea. I'm trying to hone in my guesstimation skills so bouncing these photos off others is helping me get there.

chato

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    I do eat my deer, so I'll take what I can get, but I still like to shoot something with a nice rack if possible. I'll let you guys know how I do this year. Anybody have some nice photos of prospective bucks this year?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Decent buck for the area. 3 1/2 , -4 1/2 yrs old probably. Not the best mass I ever saw but good tine length. Can't see far side well enough to make a good guess at green score.

chato

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    How do you come up with 3-1/2 to 4 1-/2? I thought he might be, but not sure what the basis is for making this guess. He seems to have a pretty good sized body and I know the rack is tall with decent mass, but what are you looking at specially when judging his age?

Top Bottom