Radiology room lead - going rate/fair price (per pound)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Anyone know what the going rate/fair price would be for radiology room lead?

I have lead that came out of a radiology room (has a bit of drywall stuck to it), but it's the good stuff. I was originally planning to keep it for fishing jigs, but have decided I probably won't ever get around to using it. I'm looking into selling it, but I'm not sure what a fair price/rate would be to sell it. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(mods - please move this post if it's not properly categorized)

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Since its dirty I bet no more than 20 cents a pound.
    Call you local scrap yard and ask what they pay. You also can check on eBay and see what it sells for.
    Next question how much lead do you have ?????
    Profire sold some wheel weights here a few months ago andit sold pretty fast.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Since its dirty I bet no more than 20 cents a pound.
    Call you local scrap yard and ask what they pay. You also can check on eBay and see what it sells for.
    Next question how much lead do you have ?????
    Profire sold some wheel weights here a few months ago andit sold pretty fast.

I wouldn't call it dirty. It's pure lead and in some areas... it has drywall backing stuck to it (most of it does not, however). The areas I have tried to scrape, seemed to scrape fairly easily.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    It is still dirty and unrefined. Clean ingots ready for casting go for at most a dollar a pound. You can get them for way less though. I buy my lead for 5 dollars for 40 pounds unrefined.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Appreciate the info guys... The few bits of info I've found searching google seemed to indicate it's worth more, but I guess it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I trust what you guys are saying and do value the input (but am secretly hoping you're wrong) :) If it's worth less than $1/pound... I'll just hang on to what I've got.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I know about 10 years ago we used to just give our lead weights away to a guy. He'd usually come get 2-4 5 gallon buckets FULL of them each week, never could figure out what he did with all that lead...he was a little "out of it" so I assume he made helmets to keep aliens and the government out of his head lol

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    That is pretty soft lead. I have used it to cast muzzle loader bullets, my dad has also made shotgun slugs out of it with fairly good results.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    the last time I went to the range and asked for lead they told me it was 10 dollars for 100lbs of range lead.

Yep... It's mixed scrap.. Lead, brass, copper, paper, steel and so on. That's not to bad of a price. What range is that please.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    So weigh it, take a few pics of it and post it in the classifieds for what you believe it should sell for. The guys looking for lead sheeting will let you know if its worth what you are asking for it. It will either sell or it will not.

Top Bottom