• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes, linotype will do the trick. Just a small amount for handgun bullets and a little more for rifle bullets. I have a bunch of linotype if you need some for casting. :yesway:

First of all, thank you for the offer. :ingo:

Kind of what I'm talking about reference the alloy exchange.

I'm fairly new to this, so I have to be careful about talking above my knowledge. :rolleyes: If I can eliminate the Rotometals Superhard that I have been purchasing to augment my collected range scrap smelting, then I am on the right track.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    First of all, thank you for the offer. :ingo:

Kind of what I'm talking about reference the alloy exchange.

I'm fairly new to this, so I have to be careful about talking above my knowledge. :rolleyes: If I can eliminate the Rotometals Superhard that I have been purchasing to augment my collected range scrap smelting, then I am on the right track.

I think an alloy exchange is an excellent idea. I am sitting on a ton of Linotype (literally about 2000 pounds) but don't have nearly enough pure lead to use all that.

I have been casting bullets for many years now but I am still learning. Powder coating has kind of made me lazy when it comes to bullet hardness. I hardly ever use my lead hardness tester anymore. I just use a handful of linotype in the pot for handgun bullets and two hand fulls for rifle. The powder coat eliminates leading so it always works like a charm. Of course, I use gas checks on anything I am pushing over about 1400fps.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think an alloy exchange is an excellent idea. I am sitting on a ton of Linotype (literally about 2000 pounds) but don't have nearly enough pure lead to use all that.

I have been casting bullets for many years now but I am still learning. Powder coating has kind of made me lazy when it comes to bullet hardness. I hardly ever use my lead hardness tester anymore. I just use a handful of linotype in the pot for handgun bullets and two hand fulls for rifle. The powder coat eliminates leading so it always works like a charm. Of course, I use gas checks on anything I am pushing over about 1400fps.

These are the things I need to learn. I came into casting because of powder coating taking the lube and process out of the picture. My present alloy mix may be overkill with the powder coating? It'll take some trial/error and further study. I've been hesitant to back away from what's working.

We'll continue to discuss this alloy trade thing. I'm good for now on materials and continuing the learning curve on the collection.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    These are the things I need to learn. I came into casting because of powder coating taking the lube and process out of the picture. My present alloy mix may be overkill with the powder coating? It'll take some trial/error and further study. I've been hesitant to back away from what's working.

We'll continue to discuss this alloy trade thing. I'm good for now on materials and continuing the learning curve on the collection.
    You still have to run your bullets through the sizer, don't you? Powder coating adds more work, doesn't it? Besides the lack of smoke, what advantages does powder coating bullets give you?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The best advantage with powder coating is the complete elimination of lead in the barrel. It is also a little cleaner than using products like Alox. Yes, sizing is still necessary and it does add just a little to the diameter. I started using a mold release agent which is similar to paint. That actually made my bullets a little smaller and the powder coat evens it back out again.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Yes it is.....I will be making a gas check maker and a bullet size die.....here at home on my south bend lathe.....I will post pictures as my work progrsses

Oh yes, I am very interested. Especially with the gas check maker. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :yesway:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Oh yes, I am very interested. Especially with the gas check maker. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :yesway:
    I will be "blue printing" the gas checks in a day or so, then I will post my print, after that I have some stress proof and some 4140 I will start to machine .....stand by......

Aaron

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You still have to run your bullets through the sizer, don't you? Powder coating adds more work, doesn't it? Besides the lack of smoke, what advantages does powder coating bullets give you?

It may be more work, but I'd never know. The only way I've done all of my casting is powder coating. I decided years ago that I didn't care for bullet lube in my guns or my dies. The last several years I've used a moly coated bullets from BBI or Precision, pretty much exclusively.

My Glock and PCC barrels have remained clean shooting powder coated bullets. The one time I did find minor leading was a loading issue, shaving off the PC.

I have to size, but that is a bit of an area of contention as far as what one can get away with as far as diameter. If your cast drops within range of of actual bore size there are those that don't.

-----------------------------------------

Also interested in the gas checks here.

Top Bottom