V
    Holster Shock - March 2011 Contest!!

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    that's a really neat knife, i got the to make a knife from a railroad spike while i was in gatlinburg tenn on vacation. wasn't nearly as intricate as that, but still really cool

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Here's my Railroad Spike Knife. My Dad knew a custom knifemaker down in Friendship, IN and had him make this for me (along with the other two knives shown.) Although it's not for sale and never will be, my Dad would kick my ass if I turned down a hundred billion trillion dollars for it. But since they're from my Dad, I wouldn't take an unopened case of Randalls for even one of them. :rockwoot:

110zo1s.jpg

15hlnp3.jpg

2cmoupc.jpg

2075et5.jpg

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Yeah, I estimated the value on that one... haha it was just picked up along the tracks and then transformed.... it is a very nice knife. The maker is from Portland Oregon and is one of the nicest guys I know.

The knife is all hand made and custom ground, the blunt face has a possible can opener and I have used the knife for review purposes....

I would give the overall knife a B+, there is some very minor pitting on the choil and the balance is a bit off due to the fact it was a railroad spike.

It is D2 high carbon steel, with a taper ground satin finish.... If I were selling it, I wouldn't take less than $200. Its all hand made and custom here in the good ole USA.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    I found a number of videos on how to make these knives, as well as a number of sellers on e-bay offering their takes on this style of knife. I'm hooked! I want a railroad spike knife now.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I had never considered transforming a railroad spike into a knife. How hot does carbon steel have to be heated to be formed?

Go to Radio Shack and get a donut shaped magnet. Bend some hanger wire through the hole and around one side to secure it on there, give yourself about 10-12 inches of hanger wire in length. Start heating up the steel. When the steel is hot enough to where it will no longer attract the magnet, it is at the right temperature for forging.

Top Bottom