Rain Barrel: Freeze Warning - what to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    We store as much of ours inside as we can, if need be in the winter we will collect snow (NOT THE YELLOW SNOW) in 5 gal buckets, bring it inside, let it melt and treat as needed from there.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Collected snow one power outage for flushing. Takes a lot of snow to make a five gallon bucket of water. Takes a fair amount of time and energy to melt it too.

Then there is the fact that we don't always have snow when the power is out.

I thought that the yellow snow was just lemonade flavored.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why not just plan on using unfiltered rain water for washing and drinking?

It's not gonna have any heebie jeebies in it that'll make you sick. It MAY contain some trace chemicals (acid rain?) that a filter may not remove anyhow.

-J-

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Collected snow one power outage for flushing. Takes a lot of snow to make a five gallon bucket of water. Takes a fair amount of time and energy to melt it too.

Then there is the fact that we don't always have snow when the power is out.

I thought that the yellow snow was just lemonade flavored.

That's why we have about 10 5 gal bucket, a wood stove and a manual well pump ;) back ups for the back ups!

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    On a TV show called Real Green, they had a house that installed a 500 gallon underground tank for collecting rain water. They used rain chains to collect because the roof design did not support gutters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh Dang, Tim. I missed that. Makes me remember buying Over-Nite Sensation and my favorite Zappa tune - Dinah-Moe Humm.... 'course I didn't find it until 10 years after it was released.. but better late than never, right?:rockwoot:

Now it is a total flash back to the slime oozing out from your TV set...........:rockwoot:

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    I have a rain barrel fed off the chicken coop with "chicken nipples" in the bottom. It has been awesome...I haven't had to fill up the chicken's water all summer...even through the drought. I've been thinking about how to keep this system working through the winter. I've considered putting a tank heater but I don't have power at the coop. So the project grows when considering adding a solar panel. Anyone have any experience?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think it is great that you had the ingenuity to build a chicken coop watering system!

I'm not getting any solutions for freezing weather except for storage in a barn, which I don't have. I know there are a number of solar powered water heating systems that work but I think would make your project cost prohibitive.

I'm not sure where to go from here...

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have a rain barrel fed off the chicken coop with "chicken nipples" in the bottom. It has been awesome...I haven't had to fill up the chicken's water all summer...even through the drought. I've been thinking about how to keep this system working through the winter. I've considered putting a tank heater but I don't have power at the coop. So the project grows when considering adding a solar panel. Anyone have any experience?

Pics or it didn't happen. I'm sick of hauling water to the coop now that I've winterized my hose runs.

Top Bottom