• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shockabookoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    So I went to Eagle Creek today for some outdoor adventure and found myself in the rain with only a POS umbrella. After getting a sore arm and wet clothes I decided it's time to get some good rain gear. My question is, who makes some good gear? Thanks in advance.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I can tell you from first hand experience it's not this: Rothco GI Type Military Rip-Stop Poncho

I found out today that one's perception of "quality" may be wrong and should be tested before you NEED product xyz to work. I know testing before you need it is a common practice with serious campers/preppers/survivalist, but it really hit home today. In a nutshell, I bought this poncho thinking it was a good product and would meet my needs easily. I was wrong. It failed. It is not in any way waterproof and marginally water repellent. I wore it over a tee shirt to the soccer games today and within 20 minutes the top half of my shirt was wet. It was leaking around where the hood meets the main body and pretty much anywhere that the poncho was making contact with my body. Now I know why the actual heavy mil-surp ponchos are made the way they are.

My advice to you is research, research, research. Read as many product reviews as you can. Set a high budget. Don't overlook the big names (I'll be browsing the Columbia website soon).

Good luck.

shockabookoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks for the info. The Columbia Watertight looks very appealing and at the right price. Any local shops carry these? I would rather not go to the big box guys. Maybe Rusted Moon in Broad Ripple? Any of you guys shop there?

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info. The Columbia Watertight looks very appealing and at the right price. Any local shops carry these? I would rather not go to the big box guys. Maybe Rusted Moon in Broad Ripple? Any of you guys shop there?

Not sure what Rusted Moon has as far as rain gear but they do have a nice selection of auto knives so if you make a trip in it'll be worth your while.. The owners are pro 2A as well, when I bought my Benchmade there we ended up talking guns as he thought my wife was carrying (she wasn't) but turned into a show and tell with our phones of how we've set up our rifles... for the knife I got it was the cheapest around having looked at the 1500 earlier that weekend- I use to think that Rusted Moon was pricier than other places but turned out to save me 30 bucks..

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    If you find Marmot Precip, I'm voting for that. I've got the tops and bottoms for when I go backcountry camping. It's got zipper vents to help keep you cool and tightly rolls up to fit in a pouch.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    +1 on frog toggs can be rolled into a neat little pouch too.

+2. Not the heavy dutiest stuff. But for sitting in the rain at baseball and football games, it's a winner. Not sure how it would hold up stompin through the woods, getting snagged on branches. I saw some at Meijer a while back. I hope it is a lower grade than what I purchased at Cabela's cause I paid A LOT more.

Breathes very well in hot weather.

In the bargain cave

Or, if you just wanna throw money at the problem go with Helly Hansen

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Frog Toggs here. Have yet to let me down, and they have seen rain at 90 mph out west carving canyons.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    +2. Not the heavy dutiest stuff. But for sitting in the rain at baseball and football games, it's a winner. Not sure how it would hold up stompin through the woods, getting snagged on branches. I saw some at Meijer a while back. I hope it is a lower grade than what I purchased at Cabela's cause I paid A LOT more.

Breathes very well in hot weather.

In the bargain cave

Or, if you just wanna throw money at the problem go with Helly Hansen

You can usually find Helly Hansen gear cheap at eBay if you're not in a hurry. When my son was outgrowing his clothes every six months, he was still wearing better rain gear then I was. LOL

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You can usually find Helly Hansen gear cheap at eBay if you're not in a hurry. When my son was outgrowing his clothes every six months, he was still wearing better rain gear then I was. LOL

I bought my kids Helly Hansen jackets from Cabela's bargain cave. Never paid over $25 for one. That was back when they could swim inside a men's small which seems to be the predominant size in the BC.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    ECWCS Gore-tex cold weather parka and pants...LOVE mine. You can find them surplus for about $80-$90 for the jacket and about $30 for the pants. I have worn them to the range in downpours and with my Danner boots, I stay 100% dry.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Hard to beat frogg toggs for the price. For as little as 40 bucks you can get basic pants and a jacket and you can get more features for more money.
    Anything goretex will also be a winner but you'll pay for it

Top Bottom