• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I use Gander Guide series rain suits. They're frequently on sale. I normally get the TecH2O ones for $55 for the jacket and pants. They're a great bang for your buck at that price point (and a HELL of a lot better than FroggToggs). They'll serve you well. Just don't expect the durability and performance (breathability) of higher end GoreTex stuff.

Note - I use mine fishing and trust them when I go into the boundary waters. Cold + Wet miles into the wilderness would be really bad. And you can (and I have) get stuck out on a lake in torrential downpours. But I'm not abusing them and expecting them to still be water tight after running through brambles, and I'm also not needing them to be as breathable as GoreTex since I'm pretty much just sitting in a boat in them and not doing a ton of physical activity and sweating.

Just the other day I purchased a guide series rain jacket at gander. It will do for now at $35.00 good everyday rain jacket.

I'm currently doing a lot of training that has me outside regardless of weather conditions.

Eventually I will buy a better jacket for things like shooting. Rain wont stop me once I decide I'm going to the range...

Id say spring summer and fall type weather is what Id be dealing with the most.

Guncraft

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Gortex is an awesome material. I have a set from Cabelas that I have owned for years and it has held up well in pouring rain while in deer stands, at the range, on the water, etc. Though there maybe other materials out there, Gortex has always done very well for me with no leaks and is breathable.

Andy

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I have a Helly Hansen rain jacket that I have sat in the duck blind for hours with and stayed dry. It is not breathable, but good rain gear is not breathable. Good rain gear may have vents, but can't be breathable. Try hiking and stalking game in rain all day in anything gortex. You will be soaked by the end of the day.
    That being said, I also have a Columbia rain jacket that I wear in the summer when my Helly Hansen would soak me with sweat. It does a good job of keeping me dry. I have shot multi gun competitions in it and it has held up well. I am a big fan of Columbia gear.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry, but this is again flat out wrong. Read my post a few up thread. I used to whitewater kayak. Goretex is used as the waterPROOF membrane in the industry leading dry suits. These must be waterPROOF (not at great depth/pressure), or people die in what is essentially ice water.

I took quite a few swims in my old Kokatat dry suit (goretex) in water that was under 50 degrees. I did not get wet.

You've either punctured the membrane, or not cared for it properly. Likely what you're feeling is condensation build up on the inside and you're wet, but not from rain.

I have a Helly Hansen rain jacket that I have sat in the duck blind for hours with and stayed dry. It is not breathable, but good rain gear is not breathable. Good rain gear may have vents, but can't be breathable. Try hiking and stalking game in rain all day in anything gortex. You will be soaked by the end of the day.
    That being said, I also have a Columbia rain jacket that I wear in the summer when my Helly Hansen would soak me with sweat. It does a good job of keeping me dry. I have shot multi gun competitions in it and it has held up well. I am a big fan of Columbia gear.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Good rain gear may have vents, but can't be breathable. Try hiking and stalking game in rain all day in anything gortex. You will be soaked by the end of the day.

Sorry, but this is again flat out wrong. Read my post a few up thread. I used to whitewater kayak. Goretex is used as the waterPROOF membrane in the industry leading dry suits. These must be waterPROOF (not at great depth/pressure), or people die in what is essentially ice water.

I took quite a few swims in my old Kokatat dry suit (goretex) in water that was under 50 degrees. I did not get wet.

You've either punctured the membrane, or not cared for it properly. Likely what you're feeling is condensation build up on the inside and you're wet, but not from rain.

He didn't say the Goretex failed to keep the rain OUT, he said you would be soaked by the end of the day. If you are active and getting a workout and sweating the Goretex simply cannot breath enough to let your sweat/condensation escape, thus you end up soaked by the end of the day. Raingear with proper venting such as pit zips helps keep you dry inside when active.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It was implied. You can get Goretex gear with vents, pit zips, etc... He said "Good rain gear may have vents, but can't be breathable." That's wrong. It can indeed be breathable. Show me a "good" rain jacket that's not breathable. Take that same design, and it'll be better with Goretex as the waterproof membrane and an appropriate protective layer.

People expect magic out of Goretex. It is not magic. But it is better than non-breathable material. You also still need to select the RIGHT design / product for the task at hand. And you need to care for Goretex correctly for it to be effective, otherwise, you're probably better off just getting non-Goretex rain gear.

He didn't say the Goretex failed to keep the rain OUT, he said you would be soaked by the end of the day. If you are active and getting a workout and sweating the Goretex simply cannot breath enough to let your sweat/condensation escape, thus you end up soaked by the end of the day. Raingear with proper venting such as pit zips helps keep you dry inside when active.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom