• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis & Owen Co
    I'm building a rainwater catchment system this summer, have lots of info on it. Still looking for a way to keep it from freezing in the winter without burying the tanks. Was wondering if something like a stock tank heater would keep it warm enough. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, this one has me stumped. Burying is not an option for me.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The immersion heater is likely the most practical choice. If you want to do it with no electrical power you could construct a black box thermosiphon and run either an open or closed loop system to keep the heated working fluid circulating through the tank.

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    How big of tanks are they? Stock tank heaters should work. Definately get the submersion type not the floating ones. If they are plastic tanks make sure you get a heater compatible with plastic tanks. They will have some sort of frame work to hold the heating element away from the tank enough to avoid melting it. If you have multiple tanks in one area you will need to consider the power supply. Multiple heaters on one outlet will probably draw too many amps and trip the breaker constantly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a container similar to that below full of water outside all winter without freezing:

Intermediate_Bulk_Container_fcm.jpg

Top Bottom