• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    All the ideas given work well. The real thing is to do it, just do it. It can be moved fixed, added, made smaller, changed blah blah blah, see what works for you.
    I used regular 2x8's 2for front back 1 for the ends (cut in half) I also used a 4x4 cut to 8" and drilled into it for the corners. Normally as seen in other posts you are buying soil, so mix in some organics (manure mulch compost old planting soil from house plants that didn't make it) You should find that weeding will be reduced with a raised garden and since the soil is not compacted year after year the weeding is also easier. They do tend to need a little more care in the watering dept, normally needing more water, but make sure its draining don't want it puddling. water longer with less to get more of a soak. If you really are ambitious a soak-er line could be buried, with the plants just above, but for me that was more work then i was willing to invest in a garden at an apartment.
    In my opinion unless you are making a really large garden using power implements raised gardens sure work great. I currently have planted 4x8 with tomato/peppers/carrots and 2 cucumber plants. I have added marigolds to "look pretty" for the apartment but they also help (so I am told)to keep away the rabbits. My outside cat does the job too :) . I have also planted 48 pepper plants (mixed types) and 3 types of tomatoes Also 48 plants with 2 30 foot rows of sweet corn and 2 30 foot rows of blue lake bush beans in a "regular garden". the raised bed gardens have very very little weeding, the bigger garden I run a rototiller down the rows and between the tomatoes and peppers but still there are weeds "everywhere".
    Again just start and fix it later or next year.
    My 1st attempt was 6 Ruppermaid totes with holes drilled in the bottom, looked bad worked good. Use what you have, read and adjust to what you have and what works for you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Raised beds will have no less weeds than anything else, but it is true that they are easier to weed as the soil is looser. I just spent an hour and a half weeding on Saturday. The majority were Maple seedlings and one particular unknown-to-me grass. I usually stop weeding when the crop plant is well-established and not bothered by the competition.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another tip I found is Once the plants are out of the ground, cover between the rows with a single layer of newspaper, then grass clippings on top to hold it down. That pretty much eliminates the weeding between the rows. I only have to fight whats growing in amongst the actual plant rows.

Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Raised beds are very easy to build, and we have had great luck the past four years in our community garden down the street. The plots are built from 2x12s over an old asphalt parking lot. Our yields have been overwhelming sometimes with peppers and tomatoes.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Resurrecting an old thread of mine....

I am making plans to build some raised beds this spring. I'm planning on using pressure treated 2x6s or 2x12s.

Question - are there any types of stains / finishes that would be safe to use on the pressure treated lumber for the beds?

Im looking for something that may help extend the life of the lumber, but more importantly, I'm looking for a way to help the lumber look nice and not just look like the typical grayish treated lumber after a period of time.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Have 4 ea. 6" x 6" x 20' treated timbers in the garage and have been wondering what to do with them. how can I tell if they are chemically treated?

Johnny C

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I ended up using those plastic decking board (on sale at Menards 7 years ago) and stainless deck screws.... I know spent more on the screws than the decking, but 7 years and not one annoying rust stain and boxes that I don't have to worry about. Do just some minor turning over with a little added peat moss.... and the boxes produce more than our traditional garden ever did.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    We used pallets. They were free from Tractor Supply. I just broke them down and built beds with the wood. Only expense was time and a box of screws.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I'm planning on using pressure treated 2x6s or 2x12s.

Pressure treated lumber contains arsenic, so as a precaution we use UNTREATED 2x12's for our garden boxes. I don't think the treated stuff is necessary anyway. Our oldest garden box is 7 years old and the original UNTREATED lumber is still holding up.

Just my 2 cents.

PS- I don't know for sure if the arsenic in pressure treated lumber is a big deal, but just to be safe we decided we didn't want to grow our food in it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pressure treated lumber contains arsenic, so as a precaution we use UNTREATED 2x12's for our garden boxes. I don't think the treated stuff is necessary anyway. Our oldest garden box is 7 years old and the original UNTREATED lumber is still holding up.

Just my 2 cents.

PS- I don't know for sure if the arsenic in pressure treated lumber is a big deal, but just to be safe we decided we didn't want to grow our food in it.

The currently produced treated lumber (AC2?) no longer uses arsenic. I still wouldnt want ANY chemicals leaching into my vegetable soil. I too use untreated 2x's and they are holding up well after a couple years.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This is what I did a few years ago.

And here's the materials that I used.

Two raise bed garden

6 @ 2"x10"x8' $8.57=$51.42

4 @ 2"x4"x8' $3.87=$15.48

1 @ 4'x8' Lattice $13.97=$13.97

1 @ 1-lb 3"screws $8.68=$8.68

2 yards of soil $90 pickup or $125 delivered.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    A few years ago I built a 4' square, three 6" deck board high box. I put four tomato plants in them and they got six feet high. Last year I did the same thing, they got six feet high. I was swimming in tomatoes. This year the square box will be for my wife to put flowers in. I am building a 2' wide x 8' long x 1' high bed for tomatoes and whatever else. I will forever get my tomato plants from Cox's plant farm near Plainfield from now on.

This was last year.

5/30

I had hoped that my wifes dad would get cages on while we were gone on vacation.

We came home to this.

6/15

7/1

7/6 after some trimming and putting some stakes in and some rope.

They got higher, but I kept trimming them so they wouldn't get too big around or tall. We gave away so many tomatoes last year.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have 4 ea. 6" x 6" x 20' treated timbers in the garage and have been wondering what to do with them. how can I tell if they are chemically treated?

Johnny C

Taste them.
    [STRIKE]
    Or look at them. Treated lumber will have a green tint - strong when fresh and wet, but it fades pretty quick. It still looks different over time. Also, see if there's a tag left on the end.[/STRIKE]

Wait, you have treated timber and you're asking if it's chemically treated? If it's treated, it is chemically treated. That's how youtreat wood - with chemicals that resist rotting and repel termites. Now days, most wood is pressure treated, meaning the chemicals are sort of injected.

Are you asking if it was treated with arsenic? That's a harder question. I don't even know if anything was treated with arsenic in the last decade*. All I've known is AC2.

You know, when I was a kid, our vegetable beds were in railroad ties...

*According to Wikipedia, I'm right.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My yard on the west side of San Antonio was basically one huge sheet of rock with a thin layer of dirt over the top, so I built a raised bed garden out of railroad ties, three layer's worth. I drilled a hole through the ties and pounded a long piece of rebar through it into the ground below to keep it from moving around. Since the tie is pretty wide, I had a place to sit while I was gardening. :D

Also, being three-layers high, or about 18 inches to two feet high, it was a lot easier to reach in to do stuff, I didn't have to bend way over or squat down. Although it was big enough I had to walk around inside of it to do some of the weeding (it was about two-ties by two-ties square).

I filled it with one part just plain orange-yellow dirt I bought cheap from a recycling/composting place, and one part horse poop I had been saving up for the project. (Yes I have a horse. I'm in Texas!). Three or four shovels of dirt, three or four shovels of poop. Mix. Repeat until full.

I routed some soaker hoses and started planting. I had no experience, thought most of my stuff would probably die, so I seeded more than was required figuring half of it would never make it. Wrong assumption -- everything took off like a rocket and I had to not only pull weeds but quite a bit of the "good stuff" as well. Apparently the horse produced some powerful...stuff.

I didn't worry too much about anything leaching out of the railroad ties, altho I suppose that's a possibility. I planted flowers around the edge and they seemed to do well right up against the ties. Ate everything that came out of that garden and my urge to howl when the trains go by doesn't seem all that much stronger than before I had the garden. :)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    How do you guys keep the deer out of those things?

About 50 lbs worth of high protein dog food a week in giant Labrador. No deer, no yotes, very few possums. Thank goodness for what few we do have, with all the dog poop in the lawn. I had to laugh yesterday when I found raccoon tracks by the river. Sheer audacity, coming onto this property.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I wanted an herb garden close to the house, so I bought some cheap landscaping timbers from Home Depot, and filled it with composted straw, and cow manure.

Should be nice for herbs, some lettuce, and one or two bush style cherry tomato plants.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Added a new garden bed this year. Three tomato plants, two peppers and two broccoli plants along with two marigolds.

The new one the day of planting.

One week later

next week.

next week

I missed last week, so this was taken today.

This was my original box, only a tomato plant in here, 16 gladiolus, and four marigolds.
    Day of planting.

next week

next week

next week

Two weeks after the last photo.

We had to put in four stakes and put string around it to support the plant. These are cherry tomatoes.
    There is at least 20 tomatoes going.

And about 100 flowering

Tomatoes from the other plants.

Broccoli head

There is one in here, but it is tiny.

Top Bottom