• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I was wondering if anyone around Indy raises rabbits as a meat source. I have been looking into this for a while and wanted to see about getting some hands on training from someone local. I have watched a ton of videos on YouTube but I am a tactile learning and learn best by doing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I bought one from a local guy that raises them. Whacked it and put it on my smoker. It came out great.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    We have done it for about 7 years and I don't know how much land you have but the smell will get to you if your not at least 200 yds from the house. But Something like the Flemish Giants are probably the way to go, with the price of hay and pellets you will end up with about $1.50 in them if you raise the baby's. Trying to raise them on corn you will get too much waste and too slow of weight gain. And if you've never had small animals you will need to remember Long vacations or spontaneity weekends are out unless you've got a backup.

A 3 lb rabbit can produce a bunch of poop and it stinks, I'm not trying to talk you out of it but there are lots of downsides, If I had to have a small animal for food I think the chickens are a better choice, It will take longer to get the cycle started but it is more constant and more varied. And chickens are easier to feed, They are more susceptible to sickness and initial pen setup is more costly. But Eggs are great trade material, require no refrigeration if you eat them within 2 weeks, When the chicken starts dropping egg production the eggs, flour, and a little salt, you have noodles to cook the chicken with.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Thanks for the info. I am just looking now for some more hands on experience. I get done with school soon and I am looking to move out of the city towards a country-type setup so space shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the suggestion on chickens too. I have been looking into them also.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I first read the title of this thread as "Raising rabbits as meat sauce."

You could bone them out and do that too.:rockwoot:

We raised hundreds of rabbits when I was a kid. EVERY morning and evening I fed, watered and scraped pens for 200 at about the age of 9. Like any critter, they require your presence so, like marriage, it is a commitment. As for smell, it isn't so bad if you can mix it with a little sawdust and compost it near the garden. The amount of moisture rabbits produce can really produce the ammonia if you don't keep it mixed with sawdust to dry it out some.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I raise and breed rabbits and chickens. I'm on the westside, 46th and Kessler. Give me a call and you're welcome to come over and check out the setup.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I raised rabbits in a backyard in town for almost 3 years before the city sent police officers to my house. 'We've already busted you for raising chickens, now its rabbits. Please don't upgrade to cows.' At least they had humor in it.

Caring for rabbits is pretty easy, they are low key. They can put out a litter what is it, 3 times a year? I think is what its about at, and mine at least grew to edible size rather quickly. Their fur is dead useful, and thus very salable. The only thing I caution about is in some places, people ate rabbit so much they developed something called rabbit starvation. "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat." And rabbit is very, very lean. However with current multi vitamins and the diet that most people get a variation, this isn't as big of a problem much anymore. But it has happened.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Do you sell them? I'd buy some off you since I know I can trust you.

I don't sell rabbits. They're a protein source for me. But I can point you in the right direction if you're looking to buy some. And I can show you how to breed, care for and manage your rabbit population.

The most important key is being humane. Give them room, give them food, water, shelter and heat. Happy rabbits produce more... well... happily than mal-kept animals.

The only thing I caution about is in some places, people ate rabbit so much they developed something called rabbit starvation. "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat." And rabbit is very, very lean. However with current multi vitamins and the diet that most people get a variation, this isn't as big of a problem much anymore. But it has happened.

I think the OP is looking for ideas so supplement his diet, not subsist wholly on rabbit. What you point out is true, and it happens with all lean animals. Balancing rabbit protein with other lean meats is the key.

Top Bottom