• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I was able to get a copy made of the Line Breeding Chart that my Dad has always used. I transposed it and I am trying to find a place to park it on the net. For now, copy and paste the info below into a document and copy the picture, sorry the picture is cut off at the bottom.

Practical Line Breeding Chart
    Designed by John C. Fehr
    Distributed by Walter N. Mann
    811 Prospect Street
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46203

Interpretation of the chart

The line-breeding chart illustrated may be used to carry on a line breeding operation for six generations. The circles represent the progeny produced, while the solid line leading from the circles indicates the male parent and the dotted line the female. For example, No. 3 is the result of matting female No. 2 with Male No. 1, and contains half of the blood the site and dam.

Females from group No. 3 mated back to their own sire No. 1 will produce group No. 4, which is three quarters of the blood of the sire and one quarter of the blood of dam No. 2.

A male from group No. 3 mated back to his own dam No. 2 produces group No. 5, which wis three quarters of the blood of the dam No. 2 and one quarter of the sire No. 1.

The mating of a young male from group No. 4 and a young female from group No. 5 will produce group No. 7. This is a second step in producing a new line and contains half of the blood of the original sire and dam.

Female from group No. 4 mated back to original male No. 1 produce group No. 6, which is seven-eighths of the blood of No. 1. Conversely, a male from No. 5 mated back to the Original dam No. 2 produces group No. 8 which is seven-eighths of the blood of the original dam, and only one-eighths of the blood of the original sire.

The chart clearly shows the formation of three separate blood lines, the first containing a much higher proportion of the blood of the female than the male, the second a much higher proportion of the blood of the male than the female, while the third contains half of the blood of each.

Continuing – a male selected from group No. 6 and a female from group No. 8 produce group No. 10, which is again half of the blood of the original ancestors.

Again studying the chart you will find that the line of sires has not been broken, for every one has come from a group which contained a much higher percentage of the original male’s blood than the female’s. In the same way , the females used all contain a much higher percentage of the blood of the original female.

In order to start a male line whose blood is that of the original dam, select a male from group No. 5 and mate with a female from group No. 8. This will produce group No. 11, which is thirteen-sixteenths of the blood of the original dam No. 2 and three-sixteenths the blood of the original sire (No. 1). Conversely, a male from group No. 6 mates to a female from No. 4 will produce group No. 9, which is thirteen-sixteenths of the blood of the original sire No. 1 and three-sixteenths the blood of the original dam (No. 2).

By selecting a male from group No. 9 and a female from group No. 11, we produce group No. 14, which is half of the blood of the original dam and half the original sire. We still have our three distinct strains and, by continuing this systematic breeding, we can maintain them indefinitely.

Careful selection of the stock destined for breeding purposes and a resolute refusal to use any individuals as breeders which are not especially well-furred, well-colored, and possess the desired utility size and conformation of body best suited to the given purpose, will result in success, while thoughtless breeding will result in scrubs.

Brother and sister matings, each being carefully selected for qualities to be reproduced, are said to fix such qualities or types in the resulting young more quickly than by other system of mating, while a sire and a daughter maiting, or son with dam, will not always fix such types in the young.

linebreedshart.jpg

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Oh and due to a recent cookout I revisited the making of rabbit barbeque. In this instance I used wild rabbit harvested by some friends.

5 rabbits, cleaned and whole put in large roaster
    4 quarts of chicken broth
    1 can of beef broth
    1 package of Knorr French Oncion Soup mix
    1/2 bottle of white wine
    other seasoning, garlic, season salt, pepper, etc.
    Cooked on 300 for 11 hours.

Shut off and allowed to cool to room temperature, de-boned and put in a crock pot.

One large bottle of Sweet Baby Rays sauce, one small bottle of Open Pit sauce, stir and warm..

Served on round buns, some added a slice of onion and or cheese.

Crock pot was not big enough for all 5 rabbits, froze remaining un-boned meat for next batch..

3 dozen buns were held hostage for this feast.. None survived..

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've heard of people keeping one or two rabbits for pets, but never on this scale. Amazing.

My wife is from Canada. They sell rabbit in the meat department in the grocery stores up there. Something I had never seen in the states.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Appreciate the info on this thread. Still debating whether to add goats or rabbits (swaying more towards goats). I know starting with chickens has been a learning curve for me. I truly enjoy it more than i ever imagined.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Depending on what you want most, meat or milk. Meat - rabbits are easy and simple. Goats - milk yes, more meat yes, but they can be a pain, take up more room, require fence and constant monitoring, etc. I'd suggest start with rabbits, when you get a handle on them then try goats. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom