• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The warranty thing for the Randalls doesn't bother me a bit. I won't go on a Tommy Boy rant here...but I'd rather have something that probably never needs a warranty than something that is guaranteed forever but might need the warranty regularly.

Craftsman is a good example of this. All Craftsman is now made in China now with cheaper chrome, cheaper steel, less tolerances, poor fit and finish, etc. But, you know what? 100% guaranteed, no questions asked. I just don't want to go back and exchange crap for more crap. I buy second hand tools a couple of decades old and never have to use the warranty.

I know that's not the perfect comparison since many of the knives with a great warranty are not crap. ESEE is a perfect example of this--do whatever you want, tell them and they'll still replace it. But the fact of the matter is that 99.9% of the things I do with my Randall is cutting tasks.

Of course, that's my opinion, I'm not trying to recruit any followers. In fact quite the opposite, I wish the thousands of Randall fans will quit buying so many so the wait isn't 5 years!!

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Figures, oh the regular production runs I like 14s and 16s the best, I would have no issues paying $299 for a 14. Guess I'll keep my eyes open

The warrant ythings just does kind of bug me. But hell, Chris Reeve and his folders have a shady warranty. I give my XM-18 hell, chopped and stapped with it. That would totally void the warranty on my Umnumzaan. But, for $300 "used", old style pivot with a tanto, I guess we all compromise. It's a hell of a slicer.

I was pretty bummed I missed that one. I check the sites all the time and the one day I didn't take the time it popped up and was gone.
    If you look at the third knife down in the pic I posted that is a 16-7 Special Fighter. It's basically a Model 1 blade on a 16 style tang. That one has a border patrol handle which is a lot more comfortable to the palm of your hand if you turn it over to use blade up. It fills the need for someone who wants the strength of a larger tang with the "smaller lighter than a 14" blade.
    It's too bad we live at opposite ends of the state. We could get together and go out in the sticks to hack stuff up.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    The warranty thing for the Randalls doesn't bother me a bit. I won't go on a Tommy Boy rant here...but I'd rather have something that probably never needs a warranty than something that is guaranteed forever but might need the warranty regularly.

Craftsman is a good example of this. All Craftsman is now made in China now with cheaper chrome, cheaper steel, less tolerances, poor fit and finish, etc. But, you know what? 100% guaranteed, no questions asked. I just don't want to go back and exchange crap for more crap. I buy second hand tools a couple of decades old and never have to use the warranty.

I know that's not the perfect comparison since many of the knives with a great warranty are not crap. ESEE is a perfect example of this--do whatever you want, tell them and they'll still replace it. But the fact of the matter is that 99.9% of the things I do with my Randall is cutting tasks.

Of course, that's my opinion, I'm not trying to recruit any followers. In fact quite the opposite, I wish the thousands of Randall fans will quit buying so many so the wait isn't 5 years!!

Your post reminds of my teenage years when I started to acquire some tools. I went to Sears and spent a bunch of my hard earned cash for a tool box and some wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. These were all Craftsman of course and that being 40 years ago they've held up well for me. (My line of work was tool & die so most of my work tools were Starrett.)
    Anyway, I proudly showed my new tools to my dad who was a mechanic who owned his own shop. His reply was: "Craftsman is OK for a good cheap tool." I responded by saying they weren't cheap and that they were guaranteed for life. And he proceeded to explain that when you broke a tool working on someone's car you had promised by the end of the day you didn't have time to run to the store and get a replacement. That was why he had Snap On and the higher end stuff to use to make a living. And that is why when I bought my precision tools 30 years ago I spent the extra money myself.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    My last Randall took 5 years to be made and delivered. I always wanted one and I'm glad I did it.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've got a Model 1 being delivered any day now after a 5 year wait. If I don't give it away for Christmas, I might just put it up for sale here.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    My VST

IMG_0748_zpscd41fe95.jpg

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Sweet. As I said before, by the time I learned about the VST models they were all sold. I think Randall should offer those finishes as options.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    What steels does Randall use now? O-1 and . . .?

Is everything still forged to shape?

Their regular models use a high carbon tool steel that comes from Sweden...I can't remember what it is exactly. You can upgrade to high carbon stainless (I think it's 440B) for an additional charge on most models. Everything is still forged.

Randall Made Knives » Knife Construction

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    The high carbon steel is Swedish O1. The stainless has been 440B, however on some of the blades they have been using 440C for the last few years. So it's possible to get either one. The only blades I'm aware of that are not forged are the Model 10 Salt Fisherman & Household Utility knife and all of the modern miniatures.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Forging stainless and getting good results is impressive.

I think that one factor that some don't take into account when comparing knife makers is whether the blade is forged or whether it is produced solely by stock removal. Both can produce excellent knives, but it's going to cost more if you're forging them. If you're doing it by hand, then it's going to cost even more.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    That model 1 is very nice and if I did not just order my AR 9 mm 4 hours ago I would be interested. I think i am holding out for the attack.

Top Bottom