• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krisi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hey. I randomly ran across this forum after googling "gun store in Indiana". I want to buy my husband a gun for his birthday, but I dunno how to do that. Where do I even get a gun in Indiana lol. I don't have a gun permit or anything, so would I be able to buy him one? Sorry for the stupid questions. I just don't really know who else to ask!! also, I don't know what kind of gun I want to buy him. He's a police officer and he loves going to the range and shooting so I just want to get him something that he'd have fun shooting with! Thanks :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yours is not a stupid question. Please check out our FAQ (< click there) section and many of your questions will be answered. I'm sure many members will be along to answer your questions in more detail, but stick around and welcome to INGO.

EDIT: A few seconds too late.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Welcome to Ingo. There are many of local gun shops you can use but feel free to check the forum for the right one. If you are trying to get him something to plink with I would try to find something in either the .22 or 9mm calibers. They seem to be the cheapest.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO! You are not required to have a gun permit to buy a gun. You go to a reputable gun store and fill out the paperwork. You may NOT "buy a gun for another person". This is considered a "straw purchase". I am not a lawyer but there are many on here who can help answer this question better than I.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There are many questions needed to fill in the blanks, such as, your budget; do you shoot with him; and what range does he go to? I ask because you could probably get him a nice gun and a steel plate to shoot at, if the range allows it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Welcome to INGO! You are not required to have a gun permit to buy a gun. You go to a reputable gun store and fill out the paperwork. You may NOT "buy a gun for another person". This is considered a "straw purchase". I am not a lawyer but there are many on here who can help answer this question better than I.

A straw purchase is when you buy a gun for someone who can't legally buy/own one themselves. There are a few exceptions, such as a parent buying a gun for a person under the age of 21 (someone who can't legally buy from an FFL).

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    A straw purchase is when you buy a gun for someone who can't legally buy/own one themselves. There are a few exceptions, such as a parent buying a gun for a person under the age of 21 (someone who can't legally buy from an FFL).

And this is the reason for my caveat.:D

On a side note I am looking a t putting together my newsletter. Motion sensitive machinegun nests...not just for hunting camp anymore.:ar15::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Welcome to INGO. I'd suggest getting him a gift certificate from a good gun store. What section of Indiana do you hail from?

THIS

That way he can get what gun he wants. If he is a gun guy, chances are he already has a few he wants in mind that he just hasn't told you about.

Krisi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wow thank you! you guys are all so helpful! We live in Greenwood, but right on the border of Indianapolis and after looking at that list of gun shops there are a lot around me. I've never gone to the shooting range with him, but I know he goes to this one:

DNR: Atterbury

He's not under 21 lol so I don't have to worry about any of that and I'm 100% sure he has a permit to carry his gun cause he's a state trooper so we're good on that!

My budget is around $600. Is that enough for a decent gun? lol I honestly don't know at all how much a gun is. He has an AR-15 rifle, and then for his job he has a glock 9mm model 17 and a 12 gauge shotgun.

The gift card is SUCH a good idea! now I don't have to worry about picking one that he may like because sadly I wouldn't even know where to begin. Maybe I will just tell him that I'm going to buy him a gun and that way he can pick which store he wants to get it from. Maybe I'll get myself one too so I can shoot with him :D are there any pink guns? LOL

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My budget is around $600. Is that enough for a decent gun? lol I honestly don't know at all how much a gun is. He has an AR-15 rifle, and then for his job he has a glock 9mm model 17 and a 12 gauge shotgun.

If you're in Greenwood, I highly recommend sending a PM to Shooter521 from Bradis in Camby (or just go see him). He will take good care of you and I promise he won't steer you wrong. I second the gift certificate idea. A gun is a fairly personal purchase and if you don't have any idea what he might like then you might be better served by just taking him shopping for his birthday. :D

I'd recommend calling Shooter521 and setting something up ahead of time. Tell him your budget, then when you get out to Bradis, he can help you and your BF find the right gun without necessarily letting on how much you can spend.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Wow thank you! you guys are all so helpful! We live in Greenwood, but right on the border of Indianapolis and after looking at that list of gun shops there are a lot around me.

Plainfield Shooting Supply (Bob and Deb Cheek).

Trust me, it's worth the drive. I live an hour away from PSS and it's my first, second, and third choice.

It is 100% legal to buy a gun as a gift. On the form, when it asks "Are you the actual purchaser?" answer YES, even if it is a gift for someone else.

Law enforcement is exempt from needing a handgun license.

Yes, $600 will be enough for a nice gun. It would be enough, maybe, for a pair of entry level .22 target pistols. His and hers, if you will. (Browning Buckmark Camper or Ruger Mark III 22/45 -- I like the one with the Cocobolo wood grips). A .22 target pistol might be a good idea, since he already has a 9mm, 12 GA, and AR-15. Another possibility is a subcompact version of his Glock 17, The Glock model 26.

If you're thinking revolver for him, I recommend a Ruger GP100 or Ruger SP101.

Yes, there are pink handguns, rifles, shotguns, other colors too.

If Deb is there, you can ask her for some pointers on a handgun for yourself, she is a TOP NOTCH competetive shooter.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'd recommend calling Shooter521 and setting something up ahead of time. Tell him your budget, then when you get out to Bradis, he can help you and your BF find the right gun without necessarily letting on how much you can spend.

:wavey:

Reporting for duty as requested!

Krisi, you've gotten some good advice thus far. Stop by the shop and I'd be happy to discuss options with you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Bradis is a great shop. The bestest. Never had a problem going in there and never felt like they were talking down to me (I'm female) when I asked to fondle a firearm in the case. Always respectful. Always helpful. Sadly, I can't say the same about others, even some mentioned in this thread.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Bradis is a good shop, as is Beech Grove Firearms, and Plainfield Shooting Supply. Don't be afraid to call around for pricing once you figure out what you may be after. Even if you are going to pick up a GC from a shop, knowing their relative pricing and how willing they are to provide you good info over the phone, will give you an idea where you will get the best bang for the $ and the best customer service.

Any of the above should do you right, although Bradis and Beech Grove would probably be more informative/willing to spend some time to educate, based on my experience.

A gift certificate would be a great idea as well.

I don't think that Bradis will take the Visa/MC types of Gift cards, but they may have their own GCs. I know Plainfield accepts the Visa/MC types, as I've used them there.

Generally, I like to pick out my own firearms, as its what I'd consider a fairly large purchase and I like to make sure that when I make such a purchase it is definitely something I want.

If he likes to shoot the AR, and wants a good plinker version an S&W M&P 15-22 might just be the ticket (although he can probably shoot the AR as much as he wants without worrying about the cost of ammo, being a state trooper).

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Wow thank you! you guys are all so helpful! We live in Greenwood, but right on the border of Indianapolis and after looking at that list of gun shops there are a lot around me. I've never gone to the shooting range with him, but I know he goes to this one:

DNR: Atterbury

He's not under 21 lol so I don't have to worry about any of that and I'm 100% sure he has a permit to carry his gun cause he's a state trooper so we're good on that!

The gift card is SUCH a good idea! now I don't have to worry about picking one that he may like because sadly I wouldn't even know where to begin. Maybe I will just tell him that I'm going to buy him a gun and that way he can pick which store he wants to get it from. Maybe I'll get myself one too so I can shoot with him :D are there any pink guns? LOL

Go to Bradis. They will be a ton of help for you.

My suggestion is for you to go by yourself, let one of the guys there help you find something YOU like (yes, there are plenty of pink guns) and buy yours and buy him a matching one (not in pink). Then ask him to take you shooting. I think that would probably be the best gift my fiance could ever get for me. It may be out of your budget to be buying two right now, so in that case, go and pick something out and claim you bought it for him, then ask him to teach you. It is a new experience for you, and it is something you could enjoy together.

Top Bottom