• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I was hoping some of the students might have popped in and said something about the class first because I’m not a big fan of when instructors review their own classes. I will say it went well for a first time offering at a first time venue. The property owners said we are welcome back any time and the students said they look forward to future classes there so I’m sure we will be scheduling something in the not too far off future.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was hoping some of the students might have popped in and said something about the class first because I’m not a big fan of when instructors review their own classes. I will say it went well for a first time offering at a first time venue. The property owners said we are welcome back any time and the students said they look forward to future classes there so I’m sure we will be scheduling something in the not too far off future.

Were any of the students in the class INGO members? If not, then that would explain the lack of reviews here.

TFuller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    Sorry - I've been slacking and eloquence has been escaping me...

I'm always happy to train under Randy (going on four years maybe...) and this class was no exception. Starting with a safety brief, we reviewed the fundamentals of marksmanship and discussed the combat-oriented nature of the class. We focused primarily on achieving higher quality hits under pressure and discussed the plain physical movements required to achieve these hits and how to practice them. The drills were all excellent and should have showcased each student's weaknesses and strengths due to the variety in timing, tempo, distance, and position. We recorded a few drills on day one and shot them again on day two to see how we changed - some students saw marked improvement overall, but I believe I noticed overall timing was a shade slower but shot placement quality had increased for nearly everyone. Distances for shooting ranged from 3-50 yards. Many students were easily hitting vital-zone-sized steel from the draw (and within reasonable time) at 50 yards. Money was on the line in a few drills, but most everyone's currency came away unscathed.

Even though the focus was on surgical shooting, a question was asked that Randy could not ignore (justifiably so) and we were soon in the yard dealing with a knife-wielding adversary. Everyone had a chance to deal with Mr. Knifey first using what they thought were sound tactics. We a had a quick discussion and Randy presented a few better methods and everyone got a second chance to deal with Mr. Knifey a little more effectively. In my opinion, for any student that was new to the idea of Force-on-Force training or who had never been even remotely tested, that one-hour segment was worth the full price of admission. Hopefully those students are carefully reconsidering their previous notions and will pursue this form of pressured training in the future. Randy is excellent in teaching this topic. One hour isn't enough, but it should have at least been eye-opening.

Most students, including myself, were using red dot sights on their pistols but a few ran irons only. Challenges with red dot sights became quickly apparent to those new to the optic, but I would say that by the end of the weekend everyone would agree on where the red dot pistol excelled and where the dot was not required.

Location was favorable for me and should be suitable to most everyone in the southern Indiana and Louisville area, possibly including Indy. I drove an hour and twenty minutes each day and it was well worth it. Even though Tennessee is beautiful, I hope to see Randy hosted in the southern Indiana/Louisville area more often.

Top Bottom