• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    going to work up a load for 243 soon. i have a bunch of range brass i was planning on using. anybody else use range brass and if so how do you sort it? i was planning on doing headstamp and weight. anything else i shopuld look for? if it simply is not safe to do so i could buy some if its available. ideas and opinions please. and thank you in advance

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    All I do is sort out the wrong cases and ones that are torn up or crushed bad. I don't sort by head stamp or weight. I see no point with what I'm doing.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    ^ exactly, if you're shooting matches I might be more anal about it, but I bet 90% of the people who read this forum would not benefit from sorting cases by headstamp or weight

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Depending on your goals and your pocket book, the range brass will be entirely suitable, even if it does require some sorting. For plinking loads, sorting isn't indicated. If you want 1/3 MOA varmint loads for a prairie dog hunt out west, probably best to start with a single lot of brass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One more thing to beware of with range pickups. Bottle necked rifle brass that has been full length sized to under spec and shot in a loose chambered rifle is dangerous. A stress ring will start working on the case body about 7/16ths forward of the base. You will see a brighter color ring at least 1/2 way around. Using a good magnifier, the brass on the ring will look "frosty" in contrast to the smooth formed surface of the rest of the case. This is where the case is growing to fill the chamber each shoot. It will break off there, and fill your face full of hot gas and melted bits of brass. In an AR, the ejector will pull out what looks like a .380 case and leave the reast of the body/shoulder/neck area in your rifles chamber. If you are shooting an M1a or a bolt action when a case lets go, you better have on glasses. Not a fun experience.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    As long as it's commercial brand name brass with no gouges or stress marks, I'd use it. Military brass is no fun for a newbie.....

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    As far as brass getting used up the neck will get brittle and crack, so inspect them closely, bottle necked cases also need trimmed frequently. So the first thing I'd do after cleaning is size and check OAL of the cases.

Top Bottom