• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm loving this Rami with the Cajun package making the trigger sweeter, but of course, I usually do really enjoy a new toy, short term, so we'll see what develops.
    I can't imagine what would replace it, but if I have trim more b/c of retirement, that would probably be the issue.
    Used it for 3 days in an ankle holster: not an issue with its weight.

I can't believe it at the range! :thumbsup:
    I am not doing that great at any distance from 30'-45' using free hand, but when I use a rest to take me out of the equation: :wow:

At the top corners at 21' free hand I was very pleased: 10 rds on the upper right corner with 5 rds every target thereafter.
    30' free hand got pretty terrible in a hurry in the "2nd" row. :dunno:
    21' on a rest made me feel like a man again. :rockwoot:
    Even the one "+" right below the middle doing DAO was OK by my standards.
    30', even on a rest I started to lose control. :whistle:
    I used Federal Champion, 115 grain, FMJ except on the last row where I used Blazer Brass 115, FMJ.

RGg2Fyb.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been working on holster options.
    A friend recommended what he used from Black Arch:
    P9ROGQx.jpg

I mentioned that I'd used an ankle holster when I first got the Rami.
    abNswc5.png

Yesterday, I tried on the IWB leather hoslter I had for the SW 5906, but I wasn't satisfied on the purchase I had with the grip and didn't use it for the day.
    But, I did use the OWB holster from Turkey (for the 5906) which was tight & 1.25 inches too long.
    I don't usually wear my shirt tail out, so normally don't use an OWB.
    Y4cahl2.png

I will get something more specific for the Rami; I haven't checked out the recommendations here yet, but will.
    I have bought from a LGS before since I could get the benefit of hands-on.

I like the DA/SA approach for a CC gun b/c I like a heavy 1st pull for safety.
    You know my love for a safety or a decocker.

Since this Rami has had the trigger lightened, it loses the safety benefit of the heavy 1st pull.
    B/C of that, I have been reticent to CC with one in the chamber.
    For ankle CC I know that I should get over that for all the obvious reasons, and most would say don't ankle CC unless it is just a back up.

I do want the exact proper holster if I'm going to use an IWB or OWB.
    I would never consider the Rami as a pocket CC with the light trigger with 1 in the chamber.
    I know the trigger guard must absolutely be covered & I want a "restraining" flap or "thumb release" as well.

Last edited:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I've had a black arch holster for a few years and they are great. The down side I found out later was when I wanted to buy a shell for another pistol and they didn't sell shells like Alien Gear will. That may have changed so check on that if that is important. Comfortable holster regardless.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had a black arch holster for a few years and they are great. The down side I found out later was when I wanted to buy a shell for another pistol and they didn't sell shells like Alien Gear will. That may have changed so check on that if that is important. Comfortable holster regardless.

Which gun(s) did you get the Black Archer holster for?
    I did not see any Black Archer for the Rami, just the 938, the two I was looking for (besides a Kimber revolver, as well.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    CZ SDP

Its the Protos M and at the time they had a full kit of attachments and backing so it could be IWB or OWB.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Honestly I would have no problem carrying the pistol with one in the chamber. It still has a 7# plus DA trigger. If/when you need the gun you won't likely have time to rack the slide.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    CZ SDP
    Its the Protos M and at the time they had a full kit of attachments and backing so it could be IWB or OWB.

Sorry, what website are you referring to for this Protos M?
    On the Black Archer website I found this:
    DUAL CLIP IWB PROTOS-M® WITH DRI-MATRIX™ BREATHABLE BACKER

But, not available for the Rami.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Honestly I would have no problem carrying the pistol with one in the chamber. It still has a 7# plus DA trigger.
    If/when you need the gun you won't likely have time to rack the slide.

Thanks for speaking up. :thumbsup:
    Your experience with such things is 1000 times more than mine, and I take encouragement from your direction. :coffee:
    The same has been pointed out to me privately as well from a respected source.
    I am listening. :)
    I have a sweet trigger on the Kimber 6S .357 that gives me no pause when carrying.
    The Kimber site states the trigger on it is non-stacking with factory setting (approx. pounds) – 9.5-11.5
    In my mind there is something easier to deal with in a revolver with a lighter trigger than in a semi-auto: go figure. :dunno:
    The comment about no time to rack the slide in an emergency has been mentioned just this week to me mixed with ankle carry as not being acceptable. :nono:
    Point made. Thanks again! :ingo:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    To continue my sort-of thread-jack...

I ordered up one of the Wright Leather Works holsters for the Rami.

It will be my first OWB without a retention strap. I know there is debate about that, I'm not sure how well it will work.

Unfortunately their lead time is 6-8 weeks so this thread might be long buried before I get it.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    You're looking at the same site. I bought mine for the SDP but a RAMI I had fit just fine. I'm not recommending that you purchase a holster that is not made for your pistol. Just commenting that I've found the Black Arch holsters to be very good. I looked at their site this morning and they don't sell the full blown kit I bought but the base holster was the Protos-M. As a complete left field comment that holster fits my VP9SK perfect also.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    To continue my sort-of thread-jack...

I ordered up one of the Wright Leather Works holsters for the Rami.

It will be my first OWB without a retention strap. I know there is debate about that, I'm not sure how well it will work.

Unfortunately their lead time is 6-8 weeks so this thread might be long buried before I get it.

You will like the Wright holsters. Very well made and worth the wait. I have two of the Cobra Hybrid's. One for a SW revolver and one for a custom Hi-Power.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Honestly I would have no problem carrying the pistol with one in the chamber. It still has a 7# plus DA trigger. If/when you need the gun you won't likely have time to rack the slide.

As I was putting my ankle holster on getting ready for my 1st appt. today, I racked the slide on the Rami to chamber the 1st round
    (as I have been encouraged to do by those more insightful than this old horse. ).
    It jammed.

The round would not enter fully into the chamber.
    Not understanding the mechanics of it,
    I don’t get how/why a round will
    partially go into a chamber & stop before being being “locked” into place fully.

My last Rami did this & I had to learn
    to keep it “wet,” & be careful to release the slide quickly & not be slow releasing it.

There has not been a hint of a round “hanging up” while shooting.
    My releasing the slide that fraction of a second too long chambering the first round is my theory.
    That’s my speculation and I’m sticking to it. :dunno:

It does give me pause, however.
    I will work with it at the range today to try to get it to do it again by purposely releasing too slow and then not doing it so I will have peace of mind that I am totally the X factor.

I will find the correlation of causation.
    $10 says the “X” factor is me, not CZ manufacturing.

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    These pistols do like to run "wet" and yes I believe you will find that if you just rack the slide back and let it go the problem will go away. I'm a firm believer in this approach.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As I was putting my ankle holster on getting ready for my 1st appt. today, I racked the slide on the Rami chamber the 1st round
    (as I have been encouraged to do by those more insightful than this old horse. ).
    It jammed.

The round would not enter fully into the chamber.
    Not understanding the mechanics of it,
    I don’t get how/why a round will
    partially go into a chamber & stop before being being “locked” into place fully.

My last Rami did this & I had to learn
    to keep it “wet,” & be careful to release the slide quickly & not be slow releasing it.

There has not been a hint of a round “hanging up” while shooting.
    My releasing the slide that fraction of a second too long chambering the first round is my theory.
    That’s my speculation and I’m sticking to it.

It does give me pause, however.
    I will work with it at the range today to try to get it to do it again by purposely releasing too slow and then not doing it so I will have peace of mind that I am totally the X factor.

I will find the correlation of causation.
    $10 says the “X” factor is me, not CZ manufacturing.

Did you ride the slide?

Try it again with same round making sure you are letting the slide forward without touching it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Could be a bunch of things: mag only 99% seated, first round misaligned in mag, slide not fully retracted before release, riding the slide, obstructing the slide, etc.

Tap, Rack, clear (as needed) and move on.

If you cleared the firearm, reinserted the round in the mag and it chambered fine, then its just operator error or a fluke of motion mechanics.

This experience should reinforce why a firearm should be carried with a round in the chamber. Otherwise, you are just carrying a small club.

I might not recommend trying to replicate a failure. Practice proper technique and if you (err...when...all firearms have failures) have a stoppage, practice clearing the failure. Have you ever practiced with dummy rounds placed at random places in mags?

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Could be a bunch of things: mag only 99% seated, first round misaligned in mag, slide not fully retracted before release, riding the slide, obstructing the slide, etc.

If you cleared the firearm, reinserted the round in the mag and it chambered fine, then its just operator error or a fluke of motion mechanics.

This experience should reinforce why a firearm should be carried with a round in the chamber. Otherwise, you are just carrying a small club.
    :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    These pistols do like to run "wet" and yes I believe you will find that if you just rack the slide back and let it go the problem will go away. I'm a firm believer in this approach.

I believe! :thumbsup:

Did you ride the slide?

That is my theory based on previous experience or lack thereof. :dunno:
    I don't remember encountering my "riding the slide" with other guns, but I'm sure it has happened.

Try it again with same round making sure you are letting the slide forward without touching it.

I intend to do exactly that when I go to the range today for a .22LR rifle day with perhaps a mix of that Glock 44.
    Since I am reticent to keep one in the chamber, I believe that I "accidentally" was slow releasing the slide. :ugh:

Appreciate you speaking up due to our previous experience.
    You know things. :thumbsup:
    You know how paranoid & how overreactive I can be.
    :dunno:
    I didn't worry about it at all, since I've been here before.
    :)

I did exactly that, reinforcing that you (& others), are 100% on target (yes, pun intended! :laugh:) .

I had the exact thought this am!
    The lesson was not lost on me.

I might not recommend trying to replicate a failure.

I will do so only at the range (gun pointed downrange for reasons one of your dear friends mentioned to me, warning about "racking practice," in the home.

Practice proper technique and if you (err...when...all firearms have failures) have a stoppage, practice clearing the failure.

Will do!

Have you ever practiced with dummy rounds placed at random places in mags?

I have not.
    I have heard/read of doing that when practicing with a dime on the barrel to discern which way a person is jerking/snapping/pulling the gun when firing.

Well guys, your input is truly valued, thanks for your patience & taking the time! :ingo:
    Off to the range for the 3rd time this week to enjoy my retirement. :wavey:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another range visit today.
    Been using the Rami for an ankle CC.
    A problem at the range.
    It jammed up and a round wouldn't fire and I could NOT GET THE ROUND OUT of the chamber: I could not pull the slide back.
    I asked the Rangemaster for assistance and he was able to force the slide open finally, but it took him a full minute.
    He looked at the round and said it didn't look right, said it seemed a little bigger at the end of the round and when it forces into the chamber it was stuck.
    I remember him using the word, "primer," but I didn't ask a follow up question for him to explain what he meant.
    I looked at it but did not see what he was talking about since I don't have a discerning eye (didn't know what to look for).
    I had fired 15 rds. before it happened and 25 rds. after. I only had 1 box with me so I could put another box through to see if it would duplicate.
    I hope it was just a bad round but it does give me pause for using it as a CC.
    I'll give it a good cleaning and oil it up and put alot of rounds through it before I CC it again.
    I can't imagine that happening when you needed it to work in an emergency.
    I have confidence that nothing is wrong with the gun, but a "bad" round? Scary! :wallbash:

Everything free hand except for the head shots.
    The heart 1st D/A shot really revealed bad form on my part.
    Why are my free hand rounds not as tight as the head shots using a rest?! (just resting hands, not barrel)
    I'm finding that the S/A trigger is tricky for me. After just a tad of take up, there is no slowly putting pressure on trigger to fire: it just fires.
    I'm obviously not used to such a fine trigger & need to practice.
    P7eQDqR.jpg

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    FWIW, I find many of the fully cajunized CZ's SA trigger pulls are way too light for my tastes for self defense guns.

Top Bottom