135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beretta Nano 9mm:
    3/25 rounds FTE with 115 grain Remington
    4/85 rounds FTE with 124 grain Winchester
    FTE per magazine with Winchester 124 grain:
    1-1-0-0-1-0-0-0-1-0
    30 feet: 6/6 rounds w/i 10 inches (3 rounds w/i 2 inches)
    Less FTE with the 124 grain over the 115 grain.

I was told not to worry about it until I put 200-300 rounds through it.
    (1st time I shot my new Bersa Thunder .22LR It had 2-3 FTE but the 2nd and 3rd time (today) there hasn't been any FTEs)

S/W M/P Shield 9mm:
    30 feet: 7/7 w/i 10 inches (4 w/i 3 inches)
    21 feet: 5/7 w/i 3 inches

Both the Nano and Shield 9s were about the same accuracy.
    The Shield had no FTE.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for that range report.

Some of the mini-9s do require a break in period. I carry a Kahr PM9 that the owners manual mandates a minimum 200 round break in before considering carrying it. They also recommended heavier loads including +P. When I first got it the slide/recoil spring was so stiff it took two hands and two feet to load the round into the chamber. As it broke in it now only requires two hands and one foot. :)

Would not be surprised to find you are right in that the Nano has a break in period.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Good range report. Was the range an indoor range or outdoors? I tried using grease on a couple of my handguns at one point and found when shooting in weather below 40 degrees it could cause performance issues so I went back to oil only and the issues vanished. Just wondering if Beretta uses grease on new handguns.

My Nano's were purchased used so I can't offer any information on a break in period.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Great report
    Guess I will cross the nano off my list it was pretty much crossed off already the nano doesn’t fit my hand.
    I have run about 600 rounds though my Shield 9mm zero malfunctions and the slide is very easy to operate.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good range report. Was the range an indoor range or outdoors? I tried using grease on a couple of my handguns at one point and found when shooting in weather below 40 degrees it could cause performance issues so I went back to oil only and the issues vanished. Just wondering if Beretta uses grease on new handguns.
    My Nano's were purchased used so I can't offer any information on a break in period.

1. Point Blank Gun Range/Shop: $35/mo. membership: go as often as you want; $60/mo. with other benefits (go to any Point Blank, guests free, gun rental free, if memory serves).
    2. I put a little Lucas Gun Oil on it before using it.

Great report
    Guess I will cross the nano off my list it was pretty much crossed off already the nano doesn’t fit my hand.
    I have run about 600 rounds though my Shield 9mm zero malfunctions and the slide is very easy to operate.

3. When I googled it, I got mostly good reports.
    4. On the Rural King site, of all places, I read many reports and it was either:
    piece of crap, or never an issue with some
    inbetween.
    5. If I would have read that, I would have passed, but I still am not too discouraged since many have no issues.
    6. I will try the 147 grain next with a box and then go back to some 124 grain that I've got.
    7. As a range gun, no issue, but I have the Shield for that, with a sometimes carry, but it is so "large" (pocket or ankle CC) that I usually don't carry it and I was looking for a small 9mm instead of a .380 (have two) since guys here recommending that.
    8. Since I have 3 revolvers (preferred greatly
    forcarry) I really don't "need" a smaller 9mm (bought several last summer and that is why I got the Shield), but I enjoy the buying, trying and selling: repeat.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I would strip it, clean it, careful not to put too much oil everywhere (check the manual for lube instructions), reassemble, firm grip, try again (couple hundred rounds of various loads)

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area

.........., but I enjoy the buying, trying and selling: repeat.

This is me to a T. I am just about to go through the safe and start getting rid of some stuff......have way too much stuff in there that just sits more than used. I bought the Shield last year when they had the rebates. I just bought a Nano ($224 after rebate and transfer), and for that price I figured it was worth a try. That's what happens though, I'm like....hey, that's not too bad of a price, I'll get one. That's how I ended up with the Slim709...$170 after transfer. Not a bad firearm, but dislike the trigger....so I don't carry it. I liked the shield just fine, but like the G43 even better.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    QUOTE=Tyler-The-Piker;7468703]I would strip it, clean it, careful not to put too much oil everywhere (check the manual for lube instructions), reassemble, firm grip, try again (couple hundred rounds of various loads)[/QUOTE]

1. :thumbsup:

This is me to a T. I am just about to go through the safe and start getting rid of some stuff......have way too much stuff in there that just sits more than used. I bought the Shield last year when they had the rebates. I just bought a Nano ($224 after rebate and transfer), and for that price I figured it was worth a try. That's what happens though, I'm like....hey, that's not too bad of a price, I'll get one. That's how I ended up with the Slim709...$170 after transfer. Not a bad firearm, but dislike the trigger....so I don't carry it. I liked the shield just fine, but like the G43 even better.

2. Well, for the prices you're getting, I'll buy everything you have at cost, and when I sell, we'll split the profits. :laugh:
    3. I paid $180 used for my Taurus 709 Slim, and $280 for the used Nano, and $280 for used Shield 9mm.
    4. The other day I bought/traded for a Taurus 85, SS,
    snubbie just b/c the deal was so good for me, and I have bought other guns for the exact same reason.
    5. I get criticized for it, which seems strange to me, but anything beyond my 1 carry gun and 1 range 22LR is just for fun and entertainment.
    6. I want to sell my old H&R revolver since I have bought "a few" other 22LRs since I bought it, and don't really need it, but after shooting it 2 days ago to make sure I could part with it: I can't. It is too accurate and I have 1/2 to 1/3 of the money in it as many of my other range 22LRs.
    7. But, if the right deal in trading came along......... :dunno:
    8. As an example, I don't need another .380 but with Beretta Cheetah 84, 13 round, SS, wood handles that just sold yesterday that I wanted: if I could have sold both of my other .380s in time to have gotten it, I would have.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Continued range report from Saturday (24th):

Put another 150 rounds through it today w/o comparing it with the Shield 9mm.

Here is the magazine FTE using Midwest 147 grain: 0-0-1-0-0-0-0-1 (only FTE using the 8 round magazine) = Total of 2 FTE/50 rounds
    Here is the magazine FTE using Winchester 124 grain: 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 (only used 6 round magazine) = Total of 0 FTE/50 rounds
    Here is the magazine FTE using Winchester 124 grain: 0-0-0-0-0-0 (only used the 8 round magazine) = Total of 0 FTE/50 rounds
    Conclusion: 2 FTE/150 rounds using 124 & 147 grain. The FTE with 147 gr. & 8 round magazine

I kept shooting low and right: consistently, and I mean really low and really right.
    The Rangemaster gave me advice on how to "snug up" my hand to the beavertail and concentrate on the trigger finger b/c I was anticipating the recoil and "jerking" to the right.
    IT WAS AMAZING: it immediately stopped! I couldn't believe it! I was astounded!
    I immediately got much much tighter groups at 30' and 21', and 15'.
    I even got a "bullseye" per magazine (at 15' and 21')

Conclusion: nothing wrong with the Nano, just me.
    Of course, the other day the Shield and Nano were shooting the same accuracy, and with the Nano having a smaller grip.

I would not trust the Nano for a CC (not much trust for any semi-auto), and if it is to be a range gun, there is no reason to keep both the Shield and the Nano, might as well keep the slightly bigger Shield 9mm, or if I'm not going to carry the Shield, sell it and buy a "big" 9mm, perhaps a 1911 like I originally wanted for the range. I tried a Smith SD9VE but was not impressed over the Shield 9mm and sold it even though I had less money in it than my Shield.

I will rent out at the range the Sigs that are so "expensive" and see how they feel: 365 and the 938, and rent out other 9mms (did that to all the .45s that they had to see if there is any that I prefer to the Shield. When I did this last summer, I ended up with the Shield.
    If I found a smaller (than the Shield 9mm) 9mm that I really liked and would carry I am capable of buying it, but since I have my 38 snubbies (three, and need to trim) for carry I can't imagine spending twice the money for the Sig or whatever brand.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A follow-up in the small CC 9mm saga:
    On another thread, I wrote a range report of yesterday's renting over a dozen 9mms (small CC and large for range).

I am buying a Glock 26 in an hour from a member here: Bucknut.
    If the 26 is everything I hope it to be, I'll sell either the Nano or Shield 9 or both.
    I'm a little excited to get a Glock, especially one that's been made since 1994: it should be perfect by now.
    Glocks cost more so, like the Sig (even more again) I never really gave them much consideration (who knows what I'll own in my 2nd year of all this: only been 10 months).

Getting a Beretta 92SF for a range toy.

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    As you step up in quality from Taurus, SW#VE, umarex, etc (All fine pistols in one way or another)...to Glock, Sig, Beretta, HK, etc you should notice a difference in craftsmanship, reliability, performance and accuracy. Renting multiple subsets on different levels has shown you much of that already. You're on the right track.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As you step up in quality from Taurus, SW#VE, umarex, etc (All fine pistols in one way or another)...to Glock, Sig, Beretta, HK, etc you should notice a difference in craftsmanship, reliability, performance and accuracy. Renting multiple subsets on different levels has shown you much of that already. You're on the right track.

1. I appreciate you recognizing this is a process with me, and I have to get sucked in gradually and not expect me to jump from 0 to 10 in less than a year.
    2. If you would have told me 10 months ago I would have $xx amount of money invested in guns or a $300 safe in the house, or the number of guns for CC and in addition, more for the range, I would have said: who?
    3. I have already learned that Kimber has very accurate guns, whether a Micro 9 or their Kimber Pro-Carry 1911.
    4. It is a hoot going to Point Blank and for $10 renting all the guns I want (stayed 2.5 hrs. once). It does help to limit oneself to 1 caliber per renting session. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took to the range for the 3rd time with the Beretta Nano, putting it through its paces again along with a Glock 26 I bought today, but that's in another thread.
    I put 2 boxes of 124 grain Winchester through it with no FTEs at all.
    I was told that if I stayed away from the 115 grain it would do better and I even ran a box of 147 grain along with some 124 grain last time I was at the range last Saturday.
    The input that by running 200-300 rounds through it to break it in would do the trick curing the FTEs seems to have worked out.
    I like firing my "new" Glock 26 so much better, and my Shield, so it looks like it will have to be cut from the small 9mm CC pistols.
    I'll be putting it up for sale for $300 since I don't need 3 small 9mm for CC.

I couldn't hit crap with it at 30 feet:
    (and many were very low and very right)
    30 feet (6 rounds):
    1 w/i 4 inches
    2 w/i 5 inches
    then it was 12 inches before I put another 3 rounds on the target

30 feet (again and even worse):
    1 w/i 4 inches
    2 w/i 8 inches
    3 w/i 10 inches

21 feet:
    1 w/i 2 inches
    2 w/i 3 inches
    5 w/i 5 inches

21 feet:
    2 w/i 3 inches
    4 w/i 4 inches
    6 w/i 6 inches

21 feet:
    1 w/i 1 inch
    2 w/in 2 inches
    4 w/i 3 inches
    6 w/i 5 inches

15 feet: 6 w/i 4 inches
    15 feet: more of the same.
    And it continues, but I'm getting bored.

Top Bottom