• ...and so much more!
  • vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    heres my write up, from another board:
    It's been 10 months since i got the FAL itch, and 8 months since i got one. I finally got to the range. Sorry about the huge pictures.

here's a link to the video i took at the range with my phone: [ame=http://youtu.be/ggmQ_48qELc]april range trip[/ame]

I started out with these..
    Phonepicsapril302011056.jpg

Here's my first try, range was only 50 yards, i was sitting at the table supporting with my right arm sitting on a wobbly board of a stool, some of the shooting was from standing as well. The paper was about 14x20in.

Phonepicsapril302011050.jpg

here is the 2nd target i put up, i was hitting a little low, so i moved the sight up a bit, which moved my shots even lower...what..

Phonepicsapril302011054.jpg

I had started with the front sight post at .465 inches high, i turned it down 3 rotations, then back up 1, and it seemed to be dead on there. i didnt adjust the rear sight at all. i had it at the 200 yard setting, and was surprised that after all the jacking around i had done with it over the past few months it was still so close to where it should be.

Phonepicsapril302011057.jpg

Here is my first group with the AR, DPMS panther firing lacquered case brown bear mixed with wolf. This was some sitting and some standing and shooting, 50 yards as well.

Phonepicsapril302011051.jpg

2nd target shooting with the AR, i the stuff near the center was when i was sitting, the rest of it was standing and shooting, 50 yards.

Phonepicsapril302011055.jpg

After the rifles we spent a little time with the pistols, kind of rushed it though because we had places to be and the range was closing soon. This was the only picture i got of the first set of targets. I was shooting on the left, glock 17, a couple 1911's, and my pf9 at 25 yards. My two buddies with me were shooting the right target, neither of them had shot a handgun in...quite a while :devil: but they did make a few hits. On they second target, which i did not get a picture of, they only hit it a couple times, both were surprised how difficult it was and thought shooting handgun would be easier than rifle

Phonepicsapril302011061.jpg

heres a pic of my buddy on my AR, i fired his sks, it was nifty, not sure i'd care to get one though.

IMAG0063.jpg

other friend trying out one of my 1911's. fired Tula and Winchester, no malfunctions

IMAG0064.jpg

and some glock action, fired Tula 9mm from walmart and federal ammo, no problems with the glock. the PF9 did have a couple failure to feed despite having replaced the extractor and a new mag, plus its had some fluff and buff :/

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Here's a pic of the mags that didn't have any problems..

IMAG0068-1.jpg

These mags had issues, i believe failure to load the next round, but i was testing out the gas settings so that may have been it. i didnt have a lot of ammo to really try them out.

IMAG0069.jpg

These 2 mags consistently failed to activate the bolt hold open on my gun, and one of them the bolt closed and caught an empty shell casing.
    IMAG0070.jpg

So this was my first experience actually shooting the FAL. It felt like a real rifle when i shot it, none of my mags were fully loaded so i didnt feel its whole weight but it did wear on me, it became harder to shoot it without wobbling. Something else was when it recoiled my face would get pinched against the stock, that was unpleasant, it happened a couple times. It definitely kicked but just enough to let me know i was shooting a real cartridge.
    I started out buy firing a couple rounds through some mags testing out the bolt hold open, and then started firing single rounds as i adjusted the gas, in hindsight i should have just followed the directions for setting it. I had a couple malfunctions in which the next round didnt feed, and one where the bolt caught a case as it was ejected.

Something else i thought might have been a problem was the weak trigger return spring, in the video you can see me and my buddy had a problem with it not returning. It was just a matter of flicking the trigger forward to reset it, but it was obnoxious and something that needs correcting. The trigger was around 8 1/2 pounds, it "felt" heavy and after a while was almost painful to keep shooting.

Like i said above the thing was shooting pretty close, to where i wanted it and i only have to turn the front sight down a 2 turns for it to be spot on at 50 yards. I didn't have a sand bag and couldn't get any tight groups. Ammo was 60 rounds of south african i got with the gun, and 20 or 40 rounds of privi partizan .308 i got from aimsurplus. 2 of the mags came with the gun, the other 8 were all from gunpartscorp/numrich, a variety of old rusted parkerized and blued mags.

I've posted the gun on here before: its a de-thumbholed Century Arms with an imbel receiver using a british kit. I sent it off to Moses back in winter and he headspaced it, put in a new locking shoulder,the other one was un-safe to shoot apparently :O, he also threaded the barrel with the metric threading, crowned it, and made a L1A1 flashhider for it. Which btw is beautiful, i had it on pretty tight but it rotated at least a little bit during shooting, so im gonna have to try something to keep it on.

It was a fun gun to shoot and im glad i finally got it out. Some other guys at the range were definitely eye-balling it and asked me some questions about it.
    In comparison, my AR felt like a toy, very gentle, everything about it seemed easier and more comfortable to use, i got bored shooting it pretty quickly.

As for the pistol range. My buddy brought some Tula .45 which he used in my 1911's and didnt have any problems, and i fired Tula 9mm out of my glock without any problems too, since walmarts got it cheapers i might just start using this for range ammo and save a buck.

Other than that, no kabooms, no squibs, no injuries, a good range visit. we had it to ourselves for a good bit, the people there were mostly nice enough. one guy did have some words with the DNR officer because he wanted to sit on the grass and shoot and the DNR guy didn't want him to for safety/liability reasons, but it didn't escalate.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    thanks :) i kind of have mixed feelings about it, it was definitely fun to shoot, but kind of awkward and heavy to use, i think the AR platform has spoiled me.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    thanks :) i kind of have mixed feelings about it, it was definitely fun to shoot, but kind of awkward and heavy to use, i think the AR platform has spoiled me.
    I think us American are used to our rifle and show it like on shows like Top Shot. All those guys seemed to have issues with the FAL. When the Ex-British guy, winner from season one, was shooting it he handled the gun just like us American handle our AR's. Just what we are used to I guess, but the 7.62x51 is more of a handful than the 5.56x45!:D

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had a buddy who had an FAL, I thought it was neat and pretty accurate, although a bit long, but then again it is the "right arm of the free world"...kinda gotta be long......:):

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    ya it is kind of long, with the flashhider its a couple inches longer than a 20in AR15. the kick from the 7.62 nato wasn't bad at all though. Between the work i got done on it and rifle ranges all being kind of far away its infrequent that i make it out to one. I imagine if i had more trigger time and training with it i could be pretty fast. I have man-handled it plenty, and its a beautiful design but rocking mags in and out isn't as nice straight up, and the bolt open just has a little arm that you pull down to release the bolt, with some practice you can reload and pull it down. man all this gun talk is makin me want to shoot again

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Great Range Report, thanks. I had a scoped L1A1, I really liked shooting it, but is was too heavy. I ended up trading it for an AR.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello vxtip,

Thanks for the great range report. With my very slow dial-up I give up on all the photos and the video is out for me. (If I am in town at family or a friends I will check it out then) You will have to keep us up dated on the FAL. The two mags that give you the failure to feed when you were adjusting the gas system. That may be the problem? I have two Brother-In-Laws that have FAL's and they love them. One sold this AR's due to liking the FAL so much better then the AR's. (I got his left over AR mags from him at a great price so it worked out well for me!:):)
    So, you will have to let us know how it go's for you after more time at the range? :yesway:

Top Bottom