Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I fired all rounds at 50 yards.

Charge: 24.5 grains of Varget
    Brass: Mix of Lake City and Federal
    Bullets: 62 grain Armscor FMJBT
    Primers: CCI #41 mil spec

004-25.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy, but I'm going to order another brand of bullets. The Armscor where given to me by a fellow member. I'm also going to bump my charge up a 1/2 grain. The recoil the rounds produced was softer then the AE223 I have been shooting, so I know I'm safe in terms of pressure.

Last edited:

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Just curious if you are just making linking ammo have you looked at some of the pulled powders? They could save you some coin over the Varget.

Don't get me wrong I prefer Varget myself but for linking ammo there are cheaper ways to go.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just curious if you are just making linking ammo have you looked at some of the pulled powders? They could save you some coin over the Varget.

Don't get me wrong I prefer Varget myself but for linking ammo there are cheaper ways to go.

That is definitely a consideration. I wanted to get a test load up before winter hit, and I have read a lot of good comments about Varget.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Relying on your perception of recoil is not advised for determining pressure.

Actually, I disagree. I'm not saying its the only indicator, but measured recoil is a direct measured mathematical number in ft/lbs derived from an equation of force = mass x acceleration. See both Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws.

Perceived recoil is often the most immediate sign that something is wrong when firing a new load. So are muzzle flash and sound of the shot. Obviously these are not the 'end all, be all', but they are very valuable signs of an incorrect load.

Situation #1 - Individual loads a 10-round magazine full of .45 ACP loadings. The first round has significantly higher recoil than normal rounds. Individual then stops firing and checks his rounds, instead of dumping the rest of the mag into a target. Individual then finds he has accidentally double charged all this rounds. Recoil was the first tell-tale sign that something was wrong.

Situation #2 - Individual loads a 10-round magazine full of .45 ACP loadings. The first round fires properly, but when the second round is chambered and fired, nothing happens. The individual pulls a spent piece of brass out of his chamber, and checking for pressure signs, sees that the primer has burnt, and there are no obvious signs of overpressure. Individual is a smart shooter and analyzes his situation, knowing that something didn't feel right. He then checks his weapon, and realizes he has a bullet stuck in his barrel. He's loaded a squib round. Recoil was, again, the first tell-tale sign that something was wrong.

In both these situations, perceived recoil was the first - and most obvious - sign that there was an issue. Again, I state, relying on perceived recoil IS advised when determining pressures on rounds, proper functioning, and 'gut-check' error prevention. It's not the only way to do it, but its often the most immediate and apparent sign there is a problem.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Actually, I disagree. I'm not saying its the only indicator, but measured recoil is a direct measured mathematical number in ft/lbs derived from an equation of force = mass x acceleration. See both Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws.

Perceived recoil is often the most immediate sign that something is wrong when firing a new load. So are muzzle flash and sound of the shot. Obviously these are not the 'end all, be all', but they are very valuable signs of an incorrect load.

Situation #1 - Individual loads a 10-round magazine full of .45 ACP loadings. The first round has significantly higher recoil than normal rounds. Individual then stops firing and checks his rounds, instead of dumping the rest of the mag into a target. Individual then finds he has accidentally double charged all this rounds. Recoil was the first tell-tale sign that something was wrong.

Situation #2 - Individual loads a 10-round magazine full of .45 ACP loadings. The first round fires properly, but when the second round is chambered and fired, nothing happens. The individual pulls a spent piece of brass out of his chamber, and checking for pressure signs, sees that the primer has burnt, and there are no obvious signs of overpressure. Individual is a smart shooter and analyzes his situation, knowing that something didn't feel right. He then checks his weapon, and realizes he has a bullet stuck in his barrel. He's loaded a squib round. Recoil was, again, the first tell-tale sign that something was wrong.

In both these situations, perceived recoil was the first - and most obvious - sign that there was an issue. Again, I state, relying on perceived recoil IS advised when determining pressures on rounds, proper functioning, and 'gut-check' error prevention. It's not the only way to do it, but its often the most immediate and apparent sign there is a problem.

I also marked all my primers with a sharpie. So I could check them for any damage, etc.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute

I agree with both of your situations regarding a .45 ACP, as I would any centerfire pistol cartridge. What I don't agree with is your attempt to compare apples to oranges.

The statement was relative to the subject matter and I stand by it. At no point did I say that recoil, or a shooters' perception of a difference in recoil, was not a valuable indicator of possible over/under pressure.

My statement was "Relying on your perception of recoil is not advised for determining pressure." It was in response to "The recoil the rounds produced was softer then the AE223 I have been shooting, so I know I'm safe in terms of pressure." I would strongly suggest that it's entirely possible to over pressure a .223 in an AR15 without perceiving any appreciable difference in recoil.

Top Bottom