Range report from a newbie (Dons & Bullseye)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbury33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    :n00b: alert! If you can't stand newbies, maybe this post isn't for you.

So I took my Ruger Mark 3 to Don's Guns a couple of weeks ago, and at full distance, I did this (you should be able to click on any of the pics to blow it up):

I realize that I need more practice (a lot more) but thought that it wasn't horrible. Today, I took the gun to Bullseye in Kokomo. At full distance, I emptied 3 magazines (~30 rounds) but I only got 5 shots on the target!

Pretty embarrassing really! (It was a good thing that no one was around otherwise they'd be laughing how horrible shot I was) Anyways, not to make excuses but I was somewhat rushed (the store/range was closing) but I didn't think I was that rushed and certainly not expecting to miss 25 rounds!

I have several questions:
    1) Does anyone know the range distances at Don's and Bullseye at full distance? I recall that at Don's, there were some numbers on the wall, 40 being full distance. Would that be 40 feet?
    2) At half distance at Bullseye, I was able to hit the target:

The grouping is similar as I have done at Don's. But at full distance, I can barely make the target. What gives? Do you aim/shoot differently at different distances?
    3) What is the effective range of the Ruger Mark 3? And what would be considered a decent shooter be able to do with this gun?

Any tips/recommendation is much appreciated!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I'm glad you're still alive, but my tip would be: never go back to Don's, for guns OR the range. Too many scary stories about the lack of safety in his range operation. Plus, he's not the kind of businessman we gun-owners should be supporting.

Ok, enough of that. . .

Glad you had fun. Don't fret too much since you're still a newbie.

My recommendation would be to get some type of formal training, no matter how "basic".

Check out our Tactics and Training Forum for many different options available here in the State.

Good luck!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Glad you had fun. Don't fret too much since you're still a newbie.
    Seconded. No one started out as an expert and anyone on INGO who would rag on you for not shooting as well as them doesn't really belong here.

never go back to Don's, for guns OR the range.

he's not the kind of businessman we gun-owners should be supporting.

Seconded.

starbury33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Seconded. No one started out as an expert and anyone on INGO who would rag on you for not shooting as well as them doesn't really belong here.

Seconded.

Thanks fellas for the kind words. Yes, I did read the horror stories about Don's Guns but thought the risk was low enough since I go at my lunch hour (work on the west side). That being said, I realize I should stop going there altogether! I called Wyatt's at Cicero about ~2 weeks ago, by the way. Spoke to Dennis briefly and he said that their range will be ready by mid to end of May. I can't wait! The range at Bullseye is really nice, friendly folks, affordable and I feel safe there but it's a bit of a drive from Noblesville. But yes, this is the place to go for me for trigger time until Wyatt's opens.

I found the following site on 22LR bullet trajectory that I find helpful: 22 LR Ballistics @ Gunsmoke Engineering From what I gathered, the article states that at 10 yards, you will be hitting the bottom 0.5" of your target, while at 25 yards away, you will be hitting the top 0.5". This jives well with my experience at 10 yards. I had to adjust my aim a sliver higher since I was hitting low. I suspect that at 25 yards, in addition to not making the sliver higher adjustment, I ought to aim a sliver lower. I'm going to see if this helps. I can't wait until next weekend!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have several questions:
    1) Does anyone know the range distances at Don's and Bullseye at full distance? I recall that at Don's, there were some numbers on the wall, 40 being full distance. Would that be 40 feet?
    2) At half distance at Bullseye, I was able to hit the target:

Get ahold of INGO member Rookie on the Bullseye range info.
    He has done some work repairing their setup and should have the
    info you need on the distance.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    This jives well with my experience at 10 yards.

One trip to Don's and you're already conversant in the local dialect.:D

From Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: 1jive Pronunciation: \ˈjīv\ Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown Date: 1928 1: swing music or the dancing performed to it2 a: glib, deceptive, or foolish talk b: the jargon of hipsters c: a special jargon of difficult or slang terms
    — jivey \ˈjī-vē\ adjective

I think the word you wanted to use is "jibe."

Main Entry: 3jibe Function: intransitive verb Inflected Form(s): jibed; jib·ing Etymology: origin unknown Date: 1813 : to be in accord : agree

If you're looking for an indoor range that's open during the week, you want to try Pop's on Post Road. However, if you're on the West side, you probably cannot get to Pop's and back during your lunch hour.

Good luck.

starbury33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    One trip to Don's and you're already conversant in the local dialect.:D

From Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: 1jive Pronunciation: ˈjīv Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown Date: 1928 1: swing music or the dancing performed to it2 a: glib, deceptive, or foolish talk b: the jargon of hipsters c: a special jargon of difficult or slang terms
    — jivey ˈjī-vē adjective

I think the word you wanted to use is "jibe."

Main Entry: 3jibe Function: intransitive verb Inflected Form(s): jibed; jib·ing Etymology: origin unknown Date: 1813 : to be in accord : agree

If you're looking for an indoor range that's open during the week, you want to try Pop's on Post Road. However, if you're on the West side, you probably cannot get to Pop's and back during your lunch hour.

Good luck.

Point taken jmb79 on the jibe/jive. No, that's not coming from Don's, that's from hanging out with the Japanese, Filipino, Latino kids (and anywhere in between) when I grew up in Jersey. I have to say though, I find it amusing how you actually make the effort in correcting my English but not much in the things I'm actually asking.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Point taken jmb79 on the jibe/jive. No, that's not coming from Don's, that's from hanging out with the Japanese, Filipino, Latino kids (and anywhere in between) when I grew up in Jersey. I have to say though, I find it amusing how you actually make the effort in correcting my English but not much in the things I'm actually asking.

Starbury,

Amusing? I don't know about but I offered the input that I could. Moreover, I offered you a place to shoot that is probably a little safer (for you) than Don's.

I am not saying you should thank me or even acknolwege this but the implication of you finding it "amusing how you actually make an effor in corrececting my English but not much in the things I'm actually asking" is that you're offended by what I wrote. When you post in a forum like this one, you will receive all manner of reponses, some may be more on point and some may be less on point. Whether or not they are on point is somewhat subjective, of course. I offered you some decent grammar advice and, if you didn't already know about Pop's, perhaps turned you on to another place to shoot. Can those things be so bad...?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    :n00b: alert! If you can't stand newbies, maybe this post isn't for you.

So I took my Ruger Mark 3 to Don's Guns a couple of weeks ago, and at full distance, I did this (you should be able to click on any of the pics to blow it up):

The grouping is similar as I have done at Don's. But at full distance, I can barely make the target. What gives? Do you aim/shoot differently at different distances?
    3) What is the effective range of the Ruger Mark 3? And what would be considered a decent shooter be able to do with this gun?

You need to learn the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship. The longer you shoot without a grounding in these fundamentals the more the bad habits you now have will be ingrained. You will then have a tough time learning to shoot a pistol well, because you will have all of these bad habits to overcome. Don't take this personally, but many folks don't realize just how hard it is to shoot a pistol well at any appreciable distance. To do it right, takes some education, understanding, and effort. Get a good book or DVD on the subject before going back to the range. Fortunately, the learning curve is pretty steep, and once you understand just what you are supposed to be doing, you will be shooting decent groups in a hurry. Here is a website that might help: Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

I don't adjust the sights on a .22 pistol from 50 feet to 50 yards using standard velocity ammunition. Your Ruger should be able to keep shots in a sub 2" circle with decent ammo at 50 yards. You are the limiting factor. You just have to get out of the way of the pistol's capabilities:D.

As far as how accurate a decent shooter is with a .22 pistol, it all depends on your perspective. For someone who wants to be able to hit a man sized target at 10 feet, you are shooting ok. Most casual shooters are probably pretty happy to keep all the shots on a man sized target at 20 feet using two-hands. If you want to shoot with the big boys in competition, you will have to learn to shoot and apply yourself. Some "decent shooters" in NRA bullseye pistol matches would be able to shoot every shot, under timed conditions, on the target you are using, one-handed and keep almost all of them in the ten ring at 25 yards. The top shooters would keep them all in that center X ring.

starbury33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    You need to learn the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship. The longer you shoot without a grounding in these fundamentals the more the bad habits you now have will be ingrained. You will then have a tough time learning to shoot a pistol well, because you will have all of these bad habits to overcome. Don't take this personally, but many folks don't realize just how hard it is to shoot a pistol well at any appreciable distance. To do it right, takes some education, understanding, and effort. Get a good book or DVD on the subject before going back to the range. Fortunately, the learning curve is pretty steep, and once you understand just what you are supposed to be doing, you will be shooting decent groups in a hurry. Here is a website that might help: Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

I don't adjust the sights on a .22 pistol from 50 feet to 50 yards using standard velocity ammunition. Your Ruger should be able to keep shots in a sub 2" circle with decent ammo at 50 yards. You are the limiting factor. You just have to get out of the way of the pistol's capabilities:D.

As far as how accurate a decent shooter is with a .22 pistol, it all depends on your perspective. For someone who wants to be able to hit a man sized target at 10 feet, you are shooting ok. Most casual shooters are probably pretty happy to keep all the shots on a man sized target at 20 feet using two-hands. If you want to shoot with the big boys in competition, you will have to learn to shoot and apply yourself. Some "decent shooters" in NRA bullseye pistol matches would be able to shoot every shot, under timed conditions, on the target you are using, one-handed and keep almost all of them in the ten ring at 25 yards. The top shooters would keep them all in that center X ring.

Thanks BE Mike for the tips and suggestion. That link has a lot of good information, many that I was not aware of. I'm going to step back and follow the links instruction at 10 yards to see if the grouping tightens. I'll report back next weekend!

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    From looking at the pattern, you may be using inside the pad on your trigger finger or maybe using the joint. Squeeze the trigger using the pad of your trigger finger. If you put the trigger between the pad and first joint you will often pull to the left (if right handed) and/or down. Good Luck.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Elevated Arms
    Top Bottom