• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taipan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, I finally made the time to take my brand new P3AT to the range yesterday. When I purchased it, and brought it home, I ran 600 grit along the slide rails and polished the feed ramp. I'm happy to report that out of 96 rounds, I had zero ftf/fte. I inspected the weapon after the first 50 rounds, looking for any cracks or deformations. So far it seems that I'm not plagued with some of the problems I've heard about from other owners of this fine little pistol.
    How'd it shoot? I thought the recoil was very light using S&B FMJ's with a pinkie extender on my magazine. As far as accuracy, let me just say I SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!! The trigger pull was smooth and fairly light. I tried it with a full pull on the trigger, and also tried staging the trigger to near break, and couldn't seem to get good groups at even 12'. This is, for me, a very inaccurate weapon!
    I brought my beloved Makarov with me as well, and put 100 rds through that just to make myself feel better about my shooting skill. I shoot extremely tight groups with the Makarov at, and beyond thirty feet, so I know that I'm not a complete loser with a hand gun.
    If anybody owns a P3AT, and can give me some tips on how not to completely suck @$$, I'm all ears!

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have owned my Kel=Tec for a couple of years and have had no problems with it. I have never shot mine past about seven yard and can keep a group small enough for it's purpose. The sights are just about worthless. What has worked for me is to practice just point and shot. With at I have never gotten a group that was great, but have kept the shots where they need to be.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    did you try a single handed grip vs. two handed? the trigger pull is long and getting used to the breaking point is a challenge. that can be overcome. after a couple hundred rounds out of mine, i have found my accuracy to be better one handed. i love my p3at... no problems yet. stick with it, you'll figure out what works best for you. it is definitely more of an instinctive 'point-and-click' kind of pistol due to the lack of sights.

pfeigert

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I had the same experience with my Ruger LCP. Although not a KEL-TEC it's similar enough to have the same characteristics. After about 100 rounds through it, I was convinced that this is just not an accurate weapon outside of 20 feet. Farther than that and you might as well throw it. Anyway, I put a Crimson Trace laser on it and, using a sand filled pistol rest, the best group I could manage from the next 100 rounds was 3" from 7 yards. Not the greatest but if you need to use this past that range, get a bigger gun or use the noise to escape. I really like this gun but it's important to remember it what circumstances it will likely be used. Other than that, I have no complaints. I hope this helps and re-instills some faith in your ability.
    Pete

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    pfeigert:

I would have to disagree a bit on the LCP report at least. (I can't really comment on the accuracy of the P3AT) I have found the LCP to be more accurate than most people will give it credit. At 15-yards I can hold 5" patern without too much trouble.

I might add that Todd G. at pistol-training.com shows his students how a LCP can hit a plate target at 75-yards. (No laser of course.) He does it not as a stunt, but rather to show that even very small handguns usually have more accuracy than the average user, and everyone can improve.

cabjr111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    New Palestine,In
    I've shot about 500 rounds thru my kel tec and found flat nose or hollow point work the best. I had a couple hang ups using the round point fmc ammo. Although I'm not a very good shot with it I find if I pick a point about 4 inches high and 4 inches to the left that it's fairly accuate from about 25 feet.

ammonow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    I have never been able to shoot as accurately as I would like to with small-framed guns, except my Kel-Tec P11. The first time I was able to test it out at the range, I was really surprised. Hopefully the gun will get more accurate for you over time.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have no problem with center part of a paper plate as fast as I can fire at 15 yards. About all I expect out of my P3AT. If someone is farther than 15 yards, I'm not shooting at them with this thing. :)

Instead of any breakin, I just manually racked the slide 200 times before going to the range.

Top Bottom