• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I went to my local shooting range today and finally got to sight in my new scope. It's an indoor range and is only 25 yard range. I think I did very well considering I just had the rifle fixed a few months ago and havn't shot it since last summer.
    The rifle is a Marlin Model 60 pictured here.
    [URL=http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0042toc.jpg] [/URL]
    Now for the targets. I used this target to sight in the scope.
    Target #1
    [URL=http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=target1w.jpg] [/URL]

Target #2 Getting a little closer to being dead on.
    [URL=http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=target2m.jpg] [/URL]

Target #3 Ok now its sighted. Don't you think? Remember it was only a 25 yard range. I cut the bullseye out of the center. :D
    [URL=http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=target3.jpg] [/URL]

Last edited:

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I got my first model 60 on my 13th Christmas. That was 27 years ago! Being a kid, I didn't clean it as often as I should. Didn't even completely break it down for 10 years but it worked flawlessly. Passed it onto my son for his 13th Christmas this last year. It has a fixed 4x32 tasco and it still shoots great. The only problem is once in a while it will have a FTE. I think maybe the spring is starting to get a little weak. The Model 60's are great rifles...You have an awesome looking gun, have fun with it and shoot it often!

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I just shot my dad's model 99 again for the first time in 25 years. It's the model 60 predecessor and for a 50 year old gun, shoots damn well.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    The only problem is once in a while it will have a FTE. I think maybe the spring is starting to get a little weak.

I just had mine fixed. After I cleaned ( before I broke it) I had a problem
    putting the recoil spring back in and bent it in 2 places. But anway, I had a few FTE's today and the recoil spring is brand new. So it might just be an ammo issue. Older ammo doesnt extract as well as brand new ammo does.
    I got my Marlin when Iwas 16 or 17. My dad traded it for a .308 that he didnt use anymore. Now that it is shooting like a big gun (more recoil than I remember) I cant wait to go shooting more. :D I love it and I will never get rid of it.
    My marlin is 33 years old and still fires like its new. Man I love that rifle!
    Thank you all
    for the compliments. It took me about 6 weeks to get it looking that way and now that it is done, I couldn't be happier.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I enjoy the heck out of mine. I know what you mean about bending that tricky little recoil spring! There is definitely a distinct way of getting it back in there without kinking it.

Mine shoots really nice too, and at 25 yds will do what yours does. That microgroove barrel is something else.

Just keep her clean man, the dirtier mine gets, the more it jambs. Also, for some reason X-pert HP's seem to be a no-go, but some of the other stuff works pretty well. The "higher end .22LR" seems to shoot best, but that can be said of just about all ammo I guess.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I enjoy the heck out of mine. I know what you mean about bending that tricky little recoil spring! There is definitely a distinct way of getting it back in there without kinking it.

Mine shoots really nice too, and at 25 yds will do what yours does. That microgroove barrel is something else.

Just keep her clean man, the dirtier mine gets, the more it jams. Also, for some reason X-pert HP's seem to be a no-go, but some of the other stuff works pretty well. The "higher end .22LR" seems to shoot best, but that can be said of just about all ammo I guess.

Yeah that recoil spring was replaced. I grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers, but didnt use them. Thought maybe it would help getting it back together. i was shooting 3 kinds of ammo. Remmy T-bolts lead round nose, Winchester Wild Cat lead round nose and Fiocchi coppers. There is a distinct oder or smell that comes from the Fiocchis. Its not like a gun powder smell, its something different, kind of stinks too. :):, but had zero problems with them.
    I clean my 9mm and rifle everytime after I'm done shooting. It took me about 2 hours to clean the rifle today. Thats the only bad thing about shooting. LOL
    I had about 4-5 jams today, I think it was due to cheap or old ammo.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Thanks for the report. What kind of ammo you using?

I was going to do a range report on mine this past weekend and was getting horrible groups with a cheap scope that was on it. Took the scope off and was shooting about 3-4" group with irons at 50yd. I need to get another budget scope that is not junk.

My model 60 was the first gun I ever purchased. I think I was around 12 or 13. I saved all my pennies up and bought it at service merchandise for $89 plus tax. Its been a great rifle.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    thats a nice Marlin. i love my model 60 and i'm with the rest of you and i don't think i could get rid of mine either, i can drive nails with it all day and i have probably put 15,000 rounds through it

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I was going to do a range report on mine this past weekend and was getting horrible groups with a cheap scope that was on it. Took the scope off and was shooting about 3-4" group with irons at 50yd. I need to get another budget scope that is not junk.

My model 60 was the first gun I ever purchased. I think I was around 12 or 13. I saved all my pennies up and bought it at service merchandise for $89 plus tax. Its been a great rifle.

I just bought a Busnell Banner 3x9x40 for my new Savage. Have not tried it, but not a bad deal at right around $80.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Nice looking rifle!
    I gave both of my kids a model 60 and a 410 for christmas a few years ago, and they both like the rifles best. The younger one is tougher with the rifle, so she got the one my dad bought from the Muncie KMart in the late 60's and gave to me in the 80's. It's an old beater, as I used to wander the river banks south of Albany with it, and was not gentle, but she (and I) treasure it.
    Nice shootin"!
    Andy

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan

I was using Remington Thunderbolts lead nose, Winchester Wild Cats lead nose and Fiocchi copper nose all were 40 grain.

Top Bottom