• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was never able to hit very well with the 91/30 until today. I installed a Mojo Peep sight in place of the rear sight and it made a big difference.
    Best 50 yard group was 2" wtih Hornady 180 grain. This surprised me because I had slugged my bore and it measued right about .312 and the Hornady ammo is .308.
    We'll see how things change as I get better.:)

Doug

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always struggled with my 91/30. It's good to hear that you're doing well with yours. My brother is pretty accurate with mine, but I have trouble. I've been toying with scoping the 91/30, but I think I need to do the Mojo on my M44.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I recently discovered that the 91/30, but not the 44, has a dovetail under the rear sight. This dovetail is supposed to be close enough to the size of the 3/8 inch dovetail on .22 rifles that you can use .22 rings to mount a scope on the barrel. I had tried an inexpensive mount that mounted to the rear sight base. It came loose after 5 shots and when tightened up was destroyed by the recoil.
    I think you would need medium or high 1 inch rings to mount a scope using the dove tail. I'm certain that any .22 scope would last about 2 shots before it was scattering pieces around the range.
    Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com and it's forum are good places for information.

Doug

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    I recently discovered that the 91/30, but not the 44, has a dovetail under the rear sight. This dovetail is supposed to be close enough to the size of the 3/8 inch dovetail on .22 rifles that you can use .22 rings to mount a scope on the barrel. I had tried an inexpensive mount that mounted to the rear sight base. It came loose after 5 shots and when tightened up was destroyed by the recoil.
    I think you would need medium or high 1 inch rings to mount a scope using the dove tail. I'm certain that any .22 scope would last about 2 shots before it was scattering pieces around the range.
    Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com and it's forum are good places for information.

Doug

even if you did mount a .22 scope up on the rear sight probley would not be able to see through it because the scope would be to far away from your eye. unless you could find a pistol scope to fit it.

Top Bottom