• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Stopped by Bradis Friday afternoon and picked ups some Sellier and Bellots 9mm ammo(200 rounds for less than $50). I also picked up a new Mec-Gar 5906 nickel magazine at the 1500 last week. So i was quite excited to head to the range this morning. After 200 rounds 100 of which went through the new Mec-Gar magazine i have to say i am very happy with both. The new magazine operated perfectly,fit and finished are perfect 10/10 rating from me. The ammo was 115 grain FMJ 9mm, very nice looking round all but 2 fired, and those 2 fired after cycling them back through. One was midway through a magazine the other was the last round in the magazine. Very clean ammo as well my pistol hardly looks like i shot it.10/10 on ammo. Overall a very good trip to the range with a new ammo brand to me. On a separate note i searched for ammunition failure rates to see what could be considered average/normal. There wasn't anything that i could trust so any thoughts/experiences?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Always a good day when you go to the range!!! Good to hear about the ammo and mags. I've shot the S&B 9mm, never had a problem with it! Ran through my P-11 like poop through a goose!!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    2 out of 200 failing to fire is high. I've never had that high with S&B, though you do mention that they subsequently fired. Were there light primer strikes on the first go through?

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    2 out of 200 failing to fire is high. I've never had that high with S&B, though you do mention that they subsequently fired. Were there light primer strikes on the first go through?

I didn't notice any marks on the primer at all. I have recently put a new recoil spring and firing pin spring in as well as new Hogue grips, as well as tore down the entire hammer assembly to polish it so i am hoping it is just needing to break the springs in.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad you like the S&B too. I use it almost exclusively in both 9mm and .223 and have had really good luck with it. Very consistent, reliable and accurate. Before the price explosion, they were always among the lowest price ammo which surprised me considering how good it is.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There wasn't anything that i could trust so any thoughts/experiences?

I've been stockpiling and shooting the S&B 9mm ammo for the past year. 21st Century in Bluffton and H&H Firearms in Ft Wayne have been selling it for $219 for 1,000 rounds. I'm sure other dealers have it at the same price or less, but it is cheaper to shoot my 9mm than my PMR30 .22 mag. I have never had any problems or FTF with this ammo except in my Sig P290. The P290s are notorious for light primer strikes. Every round that failed to fire in my P290 did fire on the first attempt in my FNX or my M9. The .45 ACP ammo is great as well, but not priced as attractively.

I did have some issues with the .357 S&B. The bullet moved forward in the case due to recoil and actually prevented the cylinder from rotating. I had to take a small screwdriver and push the bullet back in the case to get the cylinder to rotate or open. I'm guessing this only happened 3-4 times in about 500 rounds

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    S&B, so I've read, has harder primers than American ammo. My CW9 had light primer strikes with it [second time it fired] and my CZ 75 and Hi Power ate it up with no problems.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I was actually quite impressed with S&B .380. I am sure I will buy from them again. Shot about 30 rounds or so a week ago and it was flawless, and pretty good groups.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've shot a LOT of S&B over the years (mostly 9mm) and haven't had any problems as far as reliability. I will say, however, that I've had all sorts of issues reloading their brass. I don't even bother picking it up at this point.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you don't know the round count I would replace at least the recoil spring. I had some issues with my 915 and a new recoil spring solved it. All my 3rd gens have had wierd quirks about them. Like chambering a round, then dropping the mag, a round will come unseated from the mag and fall out with it. That's usually with new mags. I love my S&W's but I'm always back to a Glock for EDC. Also, I've never had a single issue with S&B ammo. I prefer to buy it since it's usually less than $11/50.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    I too use S&B almost exclusively in all my 9mm semi autos. It feeds flawlessly through my 9mm Pm9, Ruger Sr9C, and Bull Cherokee. I can not remember a jam or FTF at any time. I like to pick it up at Cabela's when it is under $10. a box. I did hear the S&B was bought out by Magtech. Anyone hear this too? I was told you can expect the quality to plummet. I use the 115gr FMJ. I also have some 124gr FMJ and HPMJ. I see that Bulkammo.com has a good price for 1K rounds. I try to use it exclusively for target practice. Low cost, efficient, fairly clean, and presently good quality.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    S&B bought out

Hi Folks,
    Just to verify July 8th 2011. CBC, parent company of Magtech, bought out S&B.
    CBC
    I wonder if S&B quality will change? Anyone have comments on Magtech ammunition?
    Great Thread.
    :ingo:
    :ar15:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I've shot a LOT of S&B over the years (mostly 9mm) and haven't had any problems as far as reliability. I will say, however, that I've had all sorts of issues reloading their brass. I don't even bother picking it up at this point.

S&B has some of the tightest primer pockets out there. I don't bother to reload S&B brass anymore either.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I load a lot of S&B brass, the .380acp, 9mm and the .40 S&W have never given me any problem, but the .38 SPL and the .357 mag primer pockets are really super tight. I have a lyman primer pocket uniforming bit that I run in an electric screwdriver that restores the pocket to fit brand name primers. The revolver ammo must be loaded in a different place to use different primers. The revolver brass is really good looking, it just takes the extra step the first time you load it.

Top Bottom