• ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Range Test: Sub-Compact 9mm Ammunition for Personal Defense

I recently tested ten types of low bullet weight 9mm hollow point ammunition. The ammunition was tested at 15, 25, and 50 feet for reliability and group size. Bullet weights ranged from 115 grains to 135 grains at prices from $0.41 to $1.00 per round. All testing was performed on an indoor range with a Walther PPS 9mm pistol. (Barrel length 3.2 inches).

Round 1 of testing consisted of 9 variations of 9mm hollowpoint ammunition. Each round was tested twice from 15 feet (3 rounds per group) and twice from 25 feet (5 rounds per group). Winchester Target (WWB) was also tested to establish a baseline as this was used to sight in the pistol. The results are displayed in table 1 below.

TABLE 1: Round 1 of testing ordered by most accurate (Group results expressed in inches)
    10fnmo9.jpg

1. Winchester PDX1 failed to eject 5 of 25 rounds fired.

Round 2 consisted of the top 3 variations from Round 1 and the 124 grain variant of the Fiocchi XTP round. Each round was tested once at 50 feet and 3 times from 25 feet. All were shot in groups of 5. Results in table 2 below.

TABLE 2: Round 2 of testing ordered by most accurate (Group results expressed in inches)
    o7mzns.png

2. Only 3 rounds of the Federal Hydra-Shok 124 grain hit paper. This variant fell to the bottom when averaging the 25 foot groups alone.

Overall, all 4 variants in round 2 fired well at 25 feet. Recoil was indistinguishable between them. Of all ammo tested, the Hornady Critical Defense had the lightest recoil. Speer Gold Dot and Hornady TAP had noticeably more recoil and muzzle flash. All variants tested performed without failure except for the Winchester PDX1 +P fired in round 1. Surprisingly, the least expensive was the best performer.

Chime in with your favorite Sub-Compact 9mm ammunition.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Wow I can't believe nobody has been here to discuss your research! Thanks for the info!Im a little suprised actually by the results of Golden Sabers...I've never been impressed with their penetration. The other "Top" ammo is at the bottom. I've been shopping for a glock 26 and ive decided on Gold Dot 115gn for short bbl. Im partal to 124gn. HST in the summer, and 9mm nato in the winter.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I don't think anyone has chimed in with input because the results are largely irrelevant and subjective. Was the gun shot from a rest? Was a sufficient amount of each round fired to eliminate human error? Was a chronograph used to record velocities? Were rounds recovered and measured for expansion?

What the OP did was document and record personal accuracy with several different kinds of SD ammo out of his own pistol.

This is could be considered "an afternoon at the range" for a lot of us INGO'ers - and likely why there hasn't been a lot of comment or response.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Wow! I don't know how I missed this the first time. Thanks for posting your results. I'm not very knowledeable about ballistics testing, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I am assuming that the results would differ- maybe significantly - when tested with different pistols. Is that correct?

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    No chronography or ballistics testing was performed. All rounds were fired standing supported. I made the assumption that all well placed rounds would stop a threat equally. The scope of this test was to help me determine which personal protection round I wanted to use in my Walther PPS. This is an "Afternoon at the range" or "several hour long sessions at the range" to be exact. I hope the information presented is a useful starting point for anyone who carries a sub-compact 9mm and is trying to decide where to start with their own ammunition testing.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Yes, barrel length and overall weight would have a significant effect on the results. The PPS is a 20 ounce pistol with a 3.2 inch barrel. I would expect similar results with other sub-compact 9mm pistols.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I love Gold Dots in a 1911 but in the short 9mm they seemed like they had more recoil and muzzle flash than many of the others. I suspect they just need a bit more barrel to burn the powder.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom