• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since I bought the S/W M/P Compact 22 after work today at Rural King in Greenwood (in a different thread), I have an excuse to go to the range again, and since I have free passes: it will be painless.
    I am only taking my 22s and about 2000 rounds of ammo, which I know is ridiculous, but that is how much inexperience I have, but to be caught short and have to buy at the range is deplorable to me when I have boxes of ammo.
    I think in my 1.5 hrs. Tuesday I went through around 500 rounds of all different calibers and over a dozen guns.
    I'm taking mostly 1250ish FPS, but some standard 1050ish FPS to see which 22s need the higher velocities and which will handle the "slower."
    All CCI in both hi-velocity and standard, and a couple boxes of 500 of Federal Pack (or something like that).
    I want to see what the guns will handle or not.

I am going to rent the S/W 617 22 revolver to see how my Ruger GP100 22 revolver measures up to it.
    I'm really excited about that.
    I will rent the Ruger SR 22 to see what I'm missing since it was on my list but I eliminated it.
    Curious about the Ruger LCR 22 that they have. I don't understand why it cost so much for a simple 22 revolver when I bought my Smith and Wesson hammerless 642 SS, 5 shot, Airweight for only $300 at Cabelas last summer (sold my Charter Arms SS snubbie that I had bought for $250, and my Taurus 357 for $275,) since the Smith 642 would do just fine. I bought the Delta grip for it since it beat me up shooting it at the range.

They have the Ruger Mark 4 that has been recommended but
    I can't wait to try out the Browning Buck Mark Field Target someday (Point Blank does not have it).

Going to buy some 22 magnum to try out on the Ruger Single-Action before I sell it since it has both cylinders.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it back to the range today after work, as planned.
    1st off I rented the SW revolver 617, and compared it to my Ruger GP100 revolver.
    The sights on the Ruger were better, but the groupings were a little tighter with the Smith, but that could have been just me.
    I didn't shoot it but maybe 40 rounds each, and I knew I would never bother to sell my Ruger just to get the Smith, as I suspected at my skill level, or lack thereof, it doesn't matter.

Next, I tried out the Mark 4, and it was what others said it would be; I was not disappointed.
    I shot 10 rounds each with the Mark, then with the Sig Sauer 1911-22, then with my new Smith MP Compact.
    After doing this twice and getting the same results here they are:
    The Mark 4 and my new MP Compact shot nearly identical groups, with the Mark barely edging out my Compact, by 1 shell (out of 40 rounds each).
    The Sig didn't do badly but was just a little behind, with a couple of "outliers" but that could have been me, or the ammo, but the other two didn't have any "outliers."

I shot at 7 yards, then after 2 rounds of everything at that range, I went to 5 yards, and got identical results.
    Since I had a Mark back in the late 80s, it brought back memories pulling back the slide to engage the 1st shell the way it does.
    I liked my MP Compact as well as the other two, so I will have no compunction buying the Mark 4, or selling my Sig 1911-22.

I shot the Ruger SR22, and it was fine, but I liked the Compact better except I like a hammer, which the Ruger had.
    I shot the Ruger LCR22 revolver and thought it was crap, and couldn't wait to trade it out for a different gun ($10 rental fee); you could switch out as many times as you liked: I did with 5 different guns.

I shot 12 rounds through my Ruger single-action 6 shot since someone who read my thread wants to buy it, and I wanted to do that before they took possession.

I had a chance to run a few more mags of the Beretta tip-up and the Taurus tip-up, but I was rushed since I was running out of time and don't know which I'm going to keep, but I assume the Beretta just for the name, since both are fine.

I shot my little NAA single action 5 shot stainless steel: very very very small 22 magnum, and hated it: absolutely no joy,
    totally erratic and uncontrollable.
    My most fun with it was one-hand at 3 yards.
    I'm asking myself, why do I own this gun?
    It is a revolver, so I trust it to go bang (and I don't with semi-autos), and it is small, or should I say, tiny.

I used Remingtons and some Federal 500 pack (all copper-coated). No issues with ammo.
    I shot 400-500 rounds, don't know for sure, maybe only 300 rounds.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like another fun day!

How did the trigger compare between your Ruger GP100 and the SW 617?

If you didn’t know the SW compact has a hammer as well, it’s just all internal.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like another fun day!

How did the trigger compare between your Ruger GP100 and the SW 617?

If you didn’t know the SW compact has a hammer as well, it’s just all internal.

1. I was conscious of the trigger, but it didn't even make it in my notes: couldn't tell a difference, or at least remember it enough to note it. :dunno:
    2. Don't want to offend, I'm sure the Smith trigger is better, but I'm such a novice.................
    3. Hammer? If it is not on the outside, it's not there in my world. :laugh:
    4. I like cocking a hammer back: I'm old. :fogey:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Can’t fault you for that view on hammers! :D Exposed hammers are my favorite as well.

If the trigger was noticably better or worse, it probably would have made an impression.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Can’t fault you for that view on hammers! :D Exposed hammers are my favorite as well.

If the trigger was noticably better or worse, it probably would have made an impression.

1. I was actually disappointed since I drank the cool-aid believing what I'd read about the Smith 617, but apparently, Ruger is just as good, for my limited use (I still think 22 revolvers cost way too much compared to other calibers).
    2. Of course, my experience was in the late 70s and 80s with all the cheap 22s I could find, but I had my share of H/R and at least 1 old Smith and a Beretta tip-up I loved for CC at the time.
    3. They could be picked up so cheap I won't say: you'd think I was making it up.
    4. I found a receipt in an old file (cleaning it out before moved), where I'd gone to a Sheriff's gun auction and bought several guns: 22, 38, shot guns, and it was funny the prices I paid ($15-$35ish).
    5. I was notified and had to return one of them b/c it had been stolen. :dunno:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I want to get back to the range to shoot my S/W SD9VE one last time since I have it up for sale and I've had 2 people express interest.
    2. I'm not much of a salesman. I told one who offered the usual $20 less that Armlist had a couple for sale, $25 and even $50 cheaper than mine, and if he didn't need the 5 mags, and the other had a Taurus G2 PT111 and wanted another 9mm for his wife.
    I told him the SW MP Shield 9mm would be closer in size to the Taurus he had and pointed out the bigger dimensions of my SD9VE. :laugh: Trying to make sure he was aware of the size difference.
    3. When I'm selling something I always try to steer a person away so they don't waste my time, or I theirs, trying to make sure what I'm selling is what they really want and that the price is real, not inflated, so don't waste my time in a last minute last offer: that would make me mad and I would immediately go home. I don't mind negotiating before meeting, I expect a counter-offer (I always do it myself), but I price where I'm selling b/c I don't inflate the price. Maybe a month later I could drop the price if I really want to sell something.
    4. Did I mention I'm not much of a salesman? :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold the SD9VE in less than 24 hrs. after listing it in Armslist (listed here a day earlier).
    Won't be able to put some more rounds through it, but it didn't seem any different than my SW MP Shield 9.
    I have had range time with everything (except my Henry lever-action .22), and another with just 22s and renting all the 22s Point Blank in Greenwood had.
    I think I'll concentrate on my tip-up barrels (22, 25, 32) the next time and my 380s (Colt Mustang and SW MP), and run more through my new S/W MP Compact 22.
    Before I sell it I should probably run more ammo through my Sig Sauer 1911-22 to make sure I really want to sell it, since it is heavy and I like that although I do have my sights set on a Browning 1911-22 (I even know where there is one at where they upgrade guns); it is where I had the Sig upgraded properly.
    Busy with meetings this week it might have to wait.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was hoping to get back to the range this week but life gets in the way, but I did get to go twice last week (or was it the week before :dunno:).
    Selling 2 guns in 2 days was healthy for the $$ flow, especially since I bought the SW MP Compact (which I love).
    I even did a take down on it, which I've not done very much since I never owned but 1 semi back in the day, but now I have "a few" so I need to learn the nuances about each: thank God for youtube vids for newbs.

My next range time I want to spend time with my tip-up barrels to see if I want to get rid of either the Beretta, or Taurus, or since they are 22s, just keep both since they are .22s, and I only have $160 in the Taurus, ($225 in the Beretta).

But, I have 2 Beretta .32s and I think I already know which one I'll keep, but I want to run some ammo through both to see if the "prettier" one shoots any better than the "plainer" one, or both the same.
    I don't care, for what they are, scruffs or dull finishes are fine for a CC.
    I'll not put many rounds through it at the range (b/c of ammo prices), and I have $275 invested in both of them (if memory serves), so I'll keep the "prettier" one if all things else are equal.

I have to laugh b/c I'm learning if you are going to spend $100s of dolllars on ammo (spent $600 one weekend on 3000 rounds of 9mm), spending another $25 or even $250 on a gun that you are going to shoot alot doesn't really matter in the long run: if buying and you are going to sell fairly quick: price matters.
    I bought so much b/c it was so much cheaper than the range: duh. Lesson learned (found it for 17.5 cents/round instead of 20 cents since then).

After the dust settles with the those, and I sell at least one (Beretta 32) or 3 (Taurus 22, Beretta 25, and Beretta 32), and
    I decide whether to keep the Beretta 25 since I have the Beretta 32,
    I will start renting 9mm at the range for fun to see if my Shield 9 is a keeper or I should pursue another.
    Even though I like my 45 Shield the best, ammo is expensive, so I can't sell my 9 unless I sell a bunch of ammo.
    If I use the 45 for CC (instead of the 9) I could have fun and get a "big" 9mm: the Beretta M92 has my interest (if that is the right number).

It will be May before I have put in a year with this.
    Imagine what the 2nd year will bring: no telling what I could be pursuing.
    Perhaps get my courage up to get a "real" 22 ($1000-$1500) or a CC that I find out is really worth the extra $$, again $1000ish.
    I'd even like a small 9mm revolver that has a hammer (my Smith 642 doesn't) b/c I find that I like a hammer (I'm so immature :laugh:).
    I saw a Charter Arms last night from Marksman Shooting Sports, but research always bring up things to chill me out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Be going to the range tomorrow after work.
    It'll be the 5th time in less than 3 weeks since my "dearth" of not going since buying/selling houses in Oct.
    I used up my free passes and am now working on my daughter's gift certificate: really fun to go and get range time, targets, gun rental and ammo (have to buy theirs when renting) and not on my dime.
    When I am done with the gift card I'll have to join up again: $35/mo. which includes free range time, so going x2/mo. will pay for itself, and there is no long-term commitment.
    I got to go Sunday, to try out the 9mm revolver from Charter Arms I bought and shot just it and the .22s and all the tip-up barrels (.22/.25/.32).
    Yesterday I bought a Taurus 22 magnum with the large heavy frame ($300 w/$60+ ammo: so $300ish for just gun) and an older H&R 9 shot revolver ($200 w/$35 ammo included: so $165 for just gun) with really nice large grips so I'm excited about having two .22 revolvers, even though the Taurus is a magnum and shells are very expensive, but I could help myself.
    I plan to sell the Sig Sauer 1911-22, and have a possible deal going right now for a trade with a Taurus Judge, but I will shoot the Sig tomorrow since I'm not keeping both it and the new S/W M/P Compact 22. There are others out there I'm interested in :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Be going to the range tomorrow after work.
    It'll be the 5th time in less than 3 weeks since my "dearth" of not going since buying/selling houses in Oct.
    I used up my free passes and am now working on my daughter's gift certificate: really fun to go and get range time, targets, gun rental and ammo (have to buy theirs when renting) and not on my dime.
    When I am done with the gift card I'll have to join up again: $35/mo. which includes free range time, so going x2/mo. will pay for itself, and there is no long-term commitment.
    I got to go Sunday, to try out the 9mm revolver from Charter Arms I bought and shot just it and the .22s and all the tip-up barrels (.22/.25/.32).
    Yesterday I bought a Taurus 22 magnum with the large heavy frame ($300 w/$60+ ammo: so $300ish for just gun) and an older H&R 9 shot revolver ($200 w/$35 ammo included: so $165 for just gun) with really nice large grips so I'm excited about having two .22 revolvers, even though the Taurus is a magnum and shells are very expensive, but I could help myself.
    I plan to sell the Sig Sauer 1911-22, and have a possible deal going right now for a trade with a Taurus Judge, but I will shoot the Sig tomorrow since I'm not keeping both it and the new S/W M/P Compact 22. There are others out there I'm interested in :dunno:

1. It has been difficult to get together to make a trade with the Sig for the Judge, but I came up with the brilliant idea of meeting before his 2nd shift starts.
    2. I can leave work and get there just before his work (a window of time).
    3. I forgot to mention to him about the green color, so when he asked for pics last night, it dawned on me.
    4. He was not only looking for this Sig Sauer 1911-22, but also in olive!! :dunno: Lucky me. Trading is so much better than
    5. Not wanting to wast my time driving 2 hrs. I tried to discourage him :laugh: from the deal telling him I'm OK with keeping it and in no hurry to sell (all true, but my wife is in a hurry :ugh:, but I think she's starting to realize I'm just going to buy another with the money anyway! :rockwoot:). I don't do anything half-way!
    If the deal goes through I'm not going to be able to shoot it one last time: bummer. :nono:
    6. You are not going to believe this but I am chasing after ammo and found a stellar deal for 5 cents/round for some Hi-Velocity 1260 or 1280 FPS for 9 bricks and I have to go meet him right as soon as I get in town.
    7. Love stalking up on my 22 caliber!
    8. I need some 25 and 32 caliber, but it's not cheap even used, and some people are asking outrageous price like they don't know we can order online! :dunno:
    9. I bought a box .32 off Chris/Marksman Shooting the other day just b/c I like him so well and he helped out with phone calls and doing the shipping for the 9mm revolver going back to Charter Arms.
    10. I got some .25 saved up from an order online in the fall.

Top Bottom