• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Not that I am looking to compete, but I am by nature fairly competitive and like to be good at things that I do.
    When I go to the range, what should I be focusing on in order to improve? I like to participate in my hobbies with purpose.
    Do people have certain routines that they practice?
    Do you score your cards to track progress?
    In short, what should I be doing at the range, and what should I be trying to accomplish while I am there?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    What are you trying to achieve with your range time?
    Lots of different practice for many types of skills.

Kinda like asking "What kind of exercise should I do"

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Great question rosejm.
    I am new at this so maybe I don't even know yet.
    I would imagine putting more holes in the target really close to the bulls eye.
    Not trying to sound like a smarty pants but I am brand new to this and probably don't even know the language. My elderly neighbor gave me a couple of revolvers and I have been to the range once and think I might be hooked. Had my first cleaning session last night and even enjoyed that.
    I took up RC planes a few years ago and had 7 planes my first year, so I am prone to over indulgence in everything. Haha
    I want to have fun, be welcome (not a nuisance) at the range, and become proficient so that in time I have skills, talent, and knowledge to offer others.
    I guess my question is where do I start?

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you can, I'd find a good trainer and take a couple of hours from them. They can give you a routine to practice. Romain Yoder does some stuff in Nappanee and Elkhart. I'm not sure who does what in Ft. Wayne.

Another option would be Youtube. Lucky Gunner has an ongoing series called "Start Shooting Better".

[video=youtube_share;guxSc0o6lAU]http://youtu.be/guxSc0o6lAU[/video]

It's some place to start but a trainer is still your best option.

Also USPSA or IDPA is also fun and educational. Warsaw has a great program for them. Show up and compete against yourself.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    No need to apologize, there's lots of different levels of skill around here. Just trying to narrow down what your goals might be.

Some want to create a single ragged hole.
    Some want to make as many holes as they can, as fast as they can.
    Some think long range is 100y, others don't even breathe heavy unless it's 1000y or more.

For your next trip, I'd say do the following: Establish a baseline -- shoot a few groups of 5 rounds on target.
    Measure how big the spread is, and see if they're consistent or vary widely. See where you stand now, so you can track your progress.

You can practice dry-fire (NO AMMO!) at home. Work on fundamentals of grip, stance/position, sight-alignment and trigger control all for free.
    You can also practice drawing & acquiring the front sight/sight picture. Maybe move into clearing rooms/corners using cover/concealment.

And as long as you're practicing safe firearm handling, and landing most (all?) of your rounds on your own target... you're already in the 95th percentile of people that appear at the range.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    First things first...work on gun handling safety.

A basic firearms safety course would be the place to start so as not to endanger yourself or others.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Thanks guys.
    I think rosejm is onto where i am at.
    Watched several youtube videos on range safety before and it all made sense and was very intuitive at the range. There was also a 30 minute safety orientation to join.
    I got 100% of my rounds on my own paper, and 85+% on a desired target. Not bulls eyes, but in a circle. Kept targets 15-25'.
    Just watched some Chris Sajnog videos and see some basics to work on.
    I think my next trip out will be focused on stance, grip, front sight focus, and trigger squeeze to find out what's comfortable and works for me.
    Once I figure out a form i will start keeping score to set a base line and track progress.

Top Bottom