• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I attended the Mid-Atlantic Tactical Conference (MATC) last weekend in Culpeper Virginia. This was the vision of a trainer by the name of Southnarc and was brought to fruition through the efforts of he and Tom Givens of Rangemasters. Needless to say, it was a rare event indeed. There were top level instructors from around the country teaching various blocks of instruction. I added the schedule below for your reference. If you get the chance to attend this type of event, don't miss it, however, be prepared to work HARD.

Schedule:
    RANGE #1
    Fundamentals of Combat Focus Shooting, Rob Pincus, I.C.E. Training
    Advanced Pistol Skills, Tom Givens, Rangemaster

RANGE #2
    Snub Skills, Michael DeBethencourt
    Mousegun Deployment, Claude Werner, Safety Training, LLC
    AK Skills, Paul Gomez, Tactical Response
    Carbine Combatives, Chris Fry, MDTS
    Ballistic Gelatin Ammo Demonstration, Mike Shovel, CorBon Ammunition

CLASSROOM #1
    Fatal Choices: Some of what we know about violence and victim selection William Aprill, Rangemaster
    Through the Fatal Funnel, Chris LeBlanc, police officer/SWAT
    Decision Making for Multi-Disciplinary Training, Belisarius

CLASSROOM #2
    Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner? Skip Gochenour, Director, National Tactical Invitational
    Violent Acts, Violent Actors, William Aprill, Rangemaster

Mat Area #1
    Managing Unknown Contacts, Southnarc
    CM Boxing, Cecil Burch
    Clinch, in a Weapons Based Environment, Michael Brown USSA
    Street Grappling, Cecil Burch

Mat Area #2
    Enhancing MMA for the Tactical Environment, Paul Sharp
    Edged Weapons Defense, Ryan Mayfield
    Blunt Force Delivery, Larry Lindenman
    Vehicle Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Southnarc

I bolded the ones I attended. I was heavy on the combatives work this year for a number of reasons. This is not a conference for the beginner, the class blocks are short so the material delivery is very compressed, and you better be able to pick up quick. However, if you are looking for more than the basics, you definitely got it here.

Incredible conference, and an incredible opportunity for learning. I highly recommend this if you can. Here's some of my takeaways:

• Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning, full days in the mat area made for long and tough days it was a test of your condition.
    • Have a few well practiced and robust techniques that will handle the vast majority of the defensive situations.
      [*]Trust your techniques, and drill them relentlessly. A good technique delivered quickly, and correctly will usually beat the perfect technique delivered late and sloppy.
      [*]Grappling inside a vehicle sucks, but there is more room there than you think.
    • If you're going to use your rental for vehicle based BJJ, get the extra insurance coverage, because something is getting jacked up!
    • I may still suck, but it isn't for a lack of available training, we have so much available compared to other parts of the country it's staggering.
    • Getting hit isn't the end of the world, can you fight back and win even after being hit?
    • Commonality, whether you're striking, knifing, thumping, or shooting, look for commonality of your movements.
    • Repetition only makes it permanent, perfect reps make it right.
    • PSS learning model, Precision (ability to execute a given task with accuracy), Speed (ability to execute a given task correctly at the desired speed threshold), Stress (ability to execute a given task correctly, at the required speed, while under influence from outside stress).
    That's just the high points, there's probably enough information delivered in this one weekend to write a book, I'm still processing all I heard and learned.

Tinman....

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    • Sounds like an awesome experience; can't wait to hear some more of your thoughts on the blocks you attended, as you continue to process through the information.

• Was this an open event, or did you have to "know somebody" to get in?

• I was not aware that Paul Gomez was working for Tactical Response now; looks like he has taken Shay's old job. I got to know him a little bit through a mutual friend several years ago, and he used to be an infrequent visitor here on INGO. Nice to see he's continuing to do well for himself.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It was an open event, but not highly publicized. Basically unless someone told you about it, you probably missed it.

It was certainly a who's who in the industry. There were many more there just attending training themselves.

I'll get more up, but it's going to take a bit to download about 30 pages of notes and comments :eek:

Tinman....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Diggin' for more info. . .

Rangemaster is the most advanced indoor pistol range and personal protection

First Annual Mid-Atlantic Training Conference: Huge Success! | Down Range TV

Anything odd about this picture?

MATC_Cadre1.jpg

Mid Atlantic Tactical AAR Prevail Training

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    • I was not aware that Paul Gomez was working for Tactical Response now; looks like he has taken Shay's old job. I got to know him a little bit through a mutual friend several years ago, and he used to be an infrequent visitor here on INGO. Nice to see he's continuing to do well for himself.

Paul has worked as a full time instructor for Tactical Response for several months now. He knows more about the history of defense tactics and training that anyone else I know. He's freakishly encyclopedic.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wish I'd known about this. I used to go the Winter Conference that Tom Givens used to do in Memphis, but when they moved it to the USSA in Tulsa, it was too far for us to go. Virginia might have been a little too far too (don't have a map handy), but it would have been nice to know about it.

I think such events are excellent opporunities. In my case, it was exceptionally useful for shopping for instructors, both those from whom I wished to pursue more classes as a student as well as those I wished to host here in Indiana as guests. You not only have the opportunity to learn quite a bit in those 4-hour blocks, but you can also get a better of idea where you want to spend to your money for 1-3 days classes as well. It's also great for networking. I've met a lot of people that I would not have otherwise.

I'm hoping something will return to Memphis or closer in the future.

Top Bottom