• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    "Snowwalker, Ranger has a policy in place that states that if YOU back out of a sale after running the NICS check, you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check. This is a policy that most gun shops share."

We have the same policy.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    "Snowwalker, Ranger has a policy in place that states that if YOU back out of a sale after running the NICS check, you are responsible for paying their standard FFL fee for the check. This is a policy that most gun shops share."

We have the same policy.

Too bad Russ did not have that policy posted at the gun show. It was the first question the officers asked and Russ had to say no. Like I've said Russ is not a good business man. If he had been a local yokel this would not have happened. Jet was right, I'll stay in my backyard and do business with Bradis, the #1 gun shop, and Beechgrove. These are great people and WORK with their customers and treat them well. Russ can't say the same, at least for me.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks

We have the same policy.

Britten, you have answered my question and I thank you for that. I will never attempt to buy outside of my local gun shop. I've been delayed once in over two dozen purchases and Russ was the out of towner. As all can see this has been a hassle and I would not risk another one from some strange gun shop. I may come in to brose, but nothing more.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    The transfer didn't take place. See below for more explanation.

I'm sorry but that policy is akin to a business trying to operate as a business but charging an entrance fee to the store.

A policy like that could be read as: "Here at Joe's Gunshop our mere presence is a service to you and you must pay a 'cover-charge' to come look at the guns because it's possible you might waste our time looking and asking questions without buying".

#1 I'm going to say that I don't know of any shops that have that policy (except Ranger as you've now pointed out):n00b: and #2 I would never patronize a shop that did.

Think about it. Lets say you're travelling about and see a gun-shop and decide to stop in, you find something you like and commit to buy it. What happens when you get delayed or denied? I'm sure if the roles were reversed there wouldn't be many people that would be willing to drive 2+ hrs back to the shop after the delay goes through. I know that I sure wouldn't, and I would certainly hope for understanding and respect from the shop owner when I apoligize and say I'm not really interested in making that drive again just for the gun. Are all of you saying you would make that drive? What if you're on your way home from vacation and it's 12 hrs from home? 24 hrs from home? How far will you make a special trip just to buy a gun. There has to be a threshold somewhere in there. Its going to be different for every person.

The cover-charge thing may work for bars on a Friday night, but for a gun-shop where the back-ground check is part of doing business, then back-ground checks that don't go through should be considered part of the cost of doing business. If you (shop owner or anybody else for that matter) feel that you need to be compensated for your time spent with a customer at work I have news for you. There are very, very few businesses that operate that way and if a gunshop tries to operate that way openly I won't support them and IMHO, the people that do support them only allow such a ridiculous policy to propagate and spread.

A few more examples of how stupid such a policy is:

If you go to a jewelry store to buy jewelry and you spend 30 minute looking at and considering all the different pieces then decide you don't want any do they try to charge you for their time showing you the jewelry?

What about an autoparts store? If you go look for a special part and the clerk helps you for 20 minutes and finally finds one but you decide it costs too much or isn't the right brand, or the color of the box doesn't suit your color palette do they try to charge you for their time?

Or, you go to a department store and tie up a clerks time for 3 hours trying on shoes, clothes, purses, etc and go up to the register to purchase said items and you card is declined do they still try to charge you for their time? Should they call the police when you can't pay the extortion fees because your card was declined?

We can go on all day here folks but the fact of the matter is that "time" in retail sales is a cost of doing business and if somebody wants to buy and decides not to, or is prevented from following through for any number of reasons before the sale actually takes place, it's nothing more than a cost of doing business and trying to extort fees out of them or charge them for your time is a ridiculous business practice.

As far as I've always known, in any gun-shop I've ever visited, committing to buy is contingent upon the back-ground check going through. That only makes sense right? The deal can't go through without the background check. So even if it's not explicitly mentioned the deal is contingent upon that and IMHO if it doesn't go through it's an "awe shucks" moment for both parties involved. I think if Russ really did try to charge $40 just for a failed check (or even delayed check where returning at a later date was cost& time-prohibitive) then he was outside the lines of a good businessman operative under good business practices.

:twocents:

My point exactly. This is what I've said all along and then the little gang up north wants to browbeat me for it with some name calling thrown in. It's like talking to a liberal.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So I'm going to guess that you don't support any LGS that charges a FFL fee? If you do, then you are kind of violating your own logic. When you pay an FFL fee, you are essentially paying someone to look over a piece of paper that you filled out, call the NICS system to relay that information, and then store that paper work. Whether or not you end up purchasing this item, they are still responsible for the handling and storage of your paperwork...
    If the transfer takes place, sure. They've provided the service that I'm paying them to do. Whether or not the work takes place or not isn't the deciding factor here. Did you even read any of my examples above? Are you just attempting to conveniently side-step around them? In all of those examples the "sales-person" put in the work and effort and in the end the sale didn't happen and no "extortion fees" were charged. That's a part of doing business.

The issue is that the buyer committed to buying the item, he was not denied purchase by the NICS, he was delayed. It was his decision to break the sale rather than to work with the alternative options which appear to have been presented to him.
    You seem to have a hard time comprehending what I wrote above, this was all explained once already. Go back and re-read it and answer some of my questions first then I'll answer yours if you'd like to continue to have this discussion.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

We have the same policy.
    So lets say I happen to be passing through Bluffton on my way back from a business trip and I decided to stop in and attempt to support 21st Century. I find a firearm that I happen to want, and for the first time in my life I get delayed. Is your policy that I only have 3 options: #1 return to your store at a later date even though your store is over 3 hrs away from my home, #2 pay your "extortion fee", or #3 Pay shipping & local transfer? Or are there exception for people caught in a similar situation?

Just want to confirm exactly what your policy is. Because I've been to your store before, made several hundreds of dollars of purchases there before, and purchased several firearms from you and I try to support you when I can. But I can say with 100% certainty that I don't ever want to be caught in the situation the OP was in. So if that is your policy, what reason would an out-of-town person like me have to even step foot in your store if you're going to punish me with a "fee" if something outside my control and outside your control happens?

Do gun-shops really want business? Or do they only want the easy-pickings and easy-money?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    So lets say I happen to be passing through Bluffton on my way back from a business trip and I decided to stop in and attempt to support 21st Century. I find a firearm that I happen to want, and for the first time in my life I get delayed. Is your policy that I only have 3 options: #1 return to your store at a later date even though your store is over 3 hrs away from my home, #2 pay your "extortion fee", or #3 Pay shipping & local transfer? Or are there exception for people caught in a similar situation?

Just want to confirm exactly what your policy is. Because I've been to your store before, made several hundreds of dollars of purchases there before, and purchased several firearms from you and I try to support you when I can. But I can say with 100% certainty that I don't ever want to be caught in the situation the OP was in. So if that is your policy, what reason would an out-of-town person like me have to even step foot in your store if you're going to punish me with a "fee" if something outside my control and outside your control happens?

Do gun-shops really want business? Or do they only want the easy-pickings and easy-money?

This is exactly what Russ at Ranger did to me plus he had the police come over to his booth to try and intimidate me. How is this good business? And why would the gang up north ridicule me for not giving in to extortion or dare to say anything about the occurrence??? I realize you all are tight up there but dang.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We have the same policy.

You, sir, WIN the Internets! I will be keeping my $40 shut-up payment and spending it at 21st on something I didn't know I couldn't live without, next time I pass through.
    Just like last time. :D

Geesh it was bad enough when I felt like making a trip to rangers to spend money after reading all of this nonsense, now I have another store I need to spend more money in! I can honestly say I'm looking forward to both! Love me Ranger Supply & 21st/AGS.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And why would the gang up north ridicule me for not giving in to extortion or dare to say anything about the occurrence??? I realize you all are tight up there but dang.

1) Is that what you really think ? You are being ridiculed for not dropping it after all these years. For some reason, this has you consumed. You keep accusing the gang up north of keep bringing this up, but it is you that goes into unrelated threads and dumps on Ranger with simple comments such as "Don't go to Ranger, they have no ethics"... You do this without any explanation. If you want to keep this alive, this is the thread to do it in, not others.

2) We can't say much about the occurrence simply because we were not there. Believe me, the fact that some of us "northern gang" might be reserved in our judgement only benefits YOU ! Would you really want us Northerners to reflect on Russ's behavior and ethics in our dealings with him and contrast that to your behavior in these threads and come to a conclusion what really happened that day ? It wouldn't be in your favor !

Last edited:

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    1) Is that what you really think ? You are being ridiculed for not dropping it after all these years. For some reason, this has you consumed. You keep accusing the gang up north of keep bringing this up, but it is you that goes into unrelated threads and dumps on Ranger with simple comments such as "Don't go to Ranger, they have no ethics"... You do this without any explanation. If you want to keep this alive, this is the thread to do it in, not others.

2) We can't say much about the occurrence simply because we were not there. Believe me, the fact that some of us "northern gang" might be reserved in our judgement only benefits YOU ! Would you really want us Northerners to reflect on Russ's behavior and ethics in our dealings with him and contrast that to your behavior in these threads and come to a conclusion what really happened that day ? It wouldn't be in your favor !

And to think you have been doing this for "my benefit" the whole time, how could I not see that? Thank you "the little northern gang".

I'll comment where I see it appropriate.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Talk about obsessive compulsion disorder.

If I obsessed over something that trivial for that long I would be in the nut house after my wife accepted my marriage proposal, and that has cost me BIG $$$$$! By the way still married to the same woman after 35 years!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    And to think you have been doing this for "my benefit" the whole time, how could I not see that? Thank you "the little northern gang".

I'll comment where I see it appropriate.
    Your argument is pretty futile. I imagine he would ask you to leave if the owner knew you, and knew you were posting for people to avoid his store, and posting pretty ridiculous rantings on a forum with 28k+ people.

You felt you got the shaft. We get that. You didn't like the non-refundable fee that is typically added on to the total price. It was the same whether you bought the gun or not...non-refundable. Because, guess what. he still has to hold record of your info and denial.

You are posting something on a misunderstanding on your part. Would you still be saying the same thing if the fee was over the limit for small claims and he took you there? I have no idea what Fort Wayne's limit is, but the cop had no right to be judging the validity of a debt.

The way I see it, you skimped out on a debt and want pity; which I am sure you've realized isn't going to happen...unless you used that "last" $40 bucks to feed your family, or buy them chemo, or something.

Stop trolling them. They are quite frankly one of the more honest companies in Fort Wayne, and I spoke with the owner and he seems to be a stand up guy. I am sorry you are not.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Holy smokes, I've never been in a gang before!
    AWESOME.

So, is there like... a sign I need to learn how to throw down?
    Or do I need to learn how to shoot with my gun held sideways?
    How about dues? Do gangs have dues?
    Is there a matched 401K?

I'm really new at this, so forgive the lack of knowledge...

Do we get group coupons for restaurants, movies, bowling and such?
    Do we get cool nick names?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Your argument is pretty futile. I imagine he would ask you to leave if the owner knew you, and knew you were posting for people to avoid his store, and posting pretty ridiculous rantings on a forum with 28k+ people.

You felt you got the shaft. We get that. You didn't like the non-refundable fee that is typically added on to the total price. It was the same whether you bought the gun or not...non-refundable. Because, guess what. he still has to hold record of your info and denial.

You are posting something on a misunderstanding on your part. Would you still be saying the same thing if the fee was over the limit for small claims and he took you there? I have no idea what Fort Wayne's limit is, but the cop had no right to be judging the validity of a debt.

The way I see it, you skimped out on a debt and want pity; which I am sure you've realized isn't going to happen...unless you used that "last" $40 bucks to feed your family, or buy them chemo, or something.

Stop trolling them. They are quite frankly one of the more honest companies in Fort Wayne, and I spoke with the owner and he seems to be a stand up guy. I am sorry you are not.

Less than 30 more posts and we hit 100, WOO HOO. It was NOT a denial, it was a delay (try paying attention). There was and is not a debt. The police determined no law was broken, period. I want nor need pity. "unless you used that "last" $40 bucks to feed your family, or buy them chemo, or something." You sound like a liberal. Three people know what happened, me&Russ&God, I'm good and you opinion doesn't matter. I spoke with Russ and I think he is a jerk-punk who tried to extort me. My opinion as shared by others on here, except the "little gang up north".

You're one of them low-information people, if I had not been delayed (not his fault OR mine) and I bought the gun the $40.00 would not have been on there. It's called a scam. There are 31,017 members, just so you know.

There are several forums in IN, do you think they know.

I'm on disability so any lawsuit, except taxes, would bear no fruit.

I wonder, do you or Jet have to have the last word? You and your little gang just can't let this die, which is okay.

Last edited:

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Holy smokes, I've never been in a gang before!
    AWESOME.

So, is there like... a sign I need to learn how to throw down?
    Or do I need to learn how to shoot with my gun held sideways?
    How about dues? Do gangs have dues?
    Is there a matched 401K?

I'm really new at this, so forgive the lack of knowledge...

Do we get group coupons for restaurants, movies, bowling and such?
    Do we get cool nick names?

I see. It's your little gang and you're clueless. That's par for the course.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Talk about obsessive compulsion disorder.

If I obsessed over something that trivial for that long I would be in the nut house after my wife accepted my marriage proposal, and that has cost me BIG $$$$$! By the way still married to the same woman after 35 years!

I'm okay, I got my blanket, but I do have a little OCD. I'm just glad it is not as bad as it was........well, really you should be. :D

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm on disability so any lawsuit, except taxes, would
    bear no fruit.
    I think I finally figured it out. You have drank the Kool-Aid. You have a sense of entitlement. You figure the world owes you something. I feel so sorry for you! Live the rest of your life like you are! Bitter, lonely, and hateful!

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I think I finally figured it out. You have drank the Kool-Aid. You have a sense of entitlement. You figure the world owes you something. I feel so sorry for you! Live the rest of your life like you are! Bitter, lonely, and hateful!

So I take it you have no problem with double t making a veiled threat? I answer that with a true statement and from that you extrapolate and assume I'm of the mindset I'm entitled. Just like many of your posts with me you could not be more wrong. To put it simply, you thought wrong. I enjoy life, not bitter at all, and hardly lonely. Stop sounding like a libtard, or are you really one? I don't hate anyone, not even the guy who shot me four times. You won't understand, but it's a Grace thing. I don't hate Russ or anyone on here. He did try to extort from me and I called him on it and while some of you are not people I would associate with I don't hate one of you. That's pretty cool, yes?

I first started this thread on 2/13/13 and you and "the little northern gang" just will not stop. I've never got mad at the banter, rather I find it somewhat amusing to see some of you rant with such ferocity. The charges I leveled against Russ are true to every word and 79 posts later we are still here, which keeps it at the top of "the good, bad, and ugly. Perhaps that is where it should be.

I'm sure one of you northerns will be back later today and will continue with the snide remarks, little put downs, and wrong assumptions. This is some of the best free entertainment I've enjoyed for awhile. See ya.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom