• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No. Just executing everyday life requires people to rank stuff. That concept by itself isn't difficult. Now as much as I tend to like to dis my MIL, she's not really stupid. But she has voted in elections for ~60 years, and for all of which she's voted for exactly one person for POTUS. So that's a challenge to get people to expand their mindset to rank the available candidates. Younger people might find that an easier transition. That doesn't make old people stupid.

Another challenge, how do you create a simple interface that everyone understands the same way, which allows people to reliably rank their choices. That's more difficult to do with a manual system. And having a GUI creates another set of issues for people who haven't used computers. That's where the technology part of it comes in.

INGO would be torn, on one hand older folks tend to vote Republican, on the other I just read recently where Hilary Clinton doesn't know how to use a computer...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is another "how" answer that really doesn't answer my "why" question. I guess I am not explaining it very well.

Why is because everyone gets a vote until there is a winner.

If I vote for Bill, and Bill's still in the running, my vote stays with Bill.

If Bill is eliminated, then instead of it being like I didn't vote at all, my vote is now transferred to my second choice, Bob.

I'm sure the system has issues of it's own, and I agree with the idea that it's probably better suited for primaries than for general elections...but I really don't know enough about it to have a firm position..

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would just like to see what a ranked choice voting ballot might look like.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Maybe if they can't figure it out we don't want them making decisions on election day in the first place.
    That's a pretty simple way to look at it and I couldv'e said the same thing but it's not quite that simple as Jamil has pointed out and I'm pretty sure there would be the typical howling calls lamenting voter inequality because a certain block of voters have a harder time figuring out the new system. Just like that deal when they could'nt figure out butterfly ballots in Florida for example.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would just like to see what a ranked choice voting ballot might look like.

RCV-Sample-Ballot.jpg

Here's a scannable example. Seems pretty straightforward with 3 candidates but if there are several it would get confusing. High possibility for people marking wrong boxes, which is why I think an electronic interface with a well thought out GUI would be good. If it's touch screen that makes it pretty easy for people who have little experience with computers.

My MIL went with me to vote and we brought my son along to help her vote because she was afraid she wouldn't be able to figure it out. But it turned out it was intuitive enough that she really didn't need help. So it can be done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I've said for a long time that I favor ranked choice voting, but at the national election it would require a constitutional amendment that would essentially change the way we vote altogether. For that reason, I don't think it would ever happen, but I still think it should happen.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bump:

Ranked Choice Voting is the "law of the land" for the upcoming Maine Primary (general is still regular).

Maine?s top court clears way for ranked-choice voting in June ? Politics ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine

It'll be interesting what the effects are of this. I think ranked order voting is more representative in that it doesn't pigeonhole votes into a binary choice. But being that it's just implemented at state level for primaries, it won't have the party-busting effect that makes it most attractive. But still, I think at the primary level this could tend to bring sanity to state primaries. The current primary system tends to disproportionately advantage the more fringe candidates. This will sort of require candidates to appeal to a wider audience, so that if they're not people's first choice, they still get points for second place.

I'm not sure that's the best outcome but it seems it's probably the most representative. If the most accurate representation of the people's will is to vote in communism that'd be bad. But then, if there really is a silent majority, maybe they'll feel they have a reason to speak up with their votes.

Top Bottom