Rant - Bad day at Don's southeast (Pop's)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wrangler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Anderson
    I too gotta stick up for Pops, I have had both good and bad esperiences there, but what the hell its a gunstore not a bed bath and beyond.

Only indoor range on my side of town, I dont live in the country, I have found deals there and seen crazy prices on things. I get a LEO range discount (Membership) which makes it convienent for me to stop by at 1pm on every other thursday and enjoy fifty rounds.

Take it for what it is, most every time I go in there its busy, so if you don't want to darken the door don't.

I had never considered being a customer......"Darkening their door"

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Same here. Have the membership and shoot twice a week. Pretty inexpensive and the lane reservation is cool. I don't mind it, wish there were more lanes and better ventilation though.

I'm going to be one of the ones that says I've never had a problem there. ...

I do have a membership ($149 for a calendar year regardless of when you join) so I never have to wait. In fact, we actually are able to reserve a lane. For that membership price, we shoot for free M-F until 5:00pm. I try to go on another day as well sometimes.

It's not well ventilated and it's old. I'll give you that. Would I rather go someplace and shoot outdoors? Absolutely. (But a little difficult in January too).

If we shoot once a week for 52 weeks, it's less than $3.00 per visit on average and I frequently shoot a couple of days a week.

I have no real complaints about my own personal experiences over the last two years. It's not the greatest or cleanest place, but it serves a purpose for me and is really inexpensive.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Shameless plug! :D I hate ot hear of bad range experiences, so here is an alternative!

Eagle Creek shooting range, while not open on the weekdays, offers lots of lanes, open air ventilation (but covered range for rainy days), trained and knowledgeable range safety officers but above all (compared to many ranges, such as Don's or Pop's), ON HAND range officers to maintain safety rules. No one loads behind your back or sweeps you here because of an unsafe back table, we maintain a safety range so you can shoot with peace of mind!

We now have hourly rates that are extremely competitive with indoor ranges, we provide targets (but if you have your own, they can be used too!), as well as instruction via Tactical Firearms Training, a NRA certified instructor and INGO advertiser!

While we don't sell ammo or rent firearms, one does have one of the best gunshops in Indianapolis (Plainfield Shooting Supplies and Bradis) on the west and south side of Indy respectively. Support a local business AND save some money.

Last edited:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I gave Pops a $1,000 deposit on a class 3 several years ago. 9 months later I ask how it was coming along and they said it had not been ordered it yet. Gave me a song and dance about how hard class 3 was to get and I did not give them a good reason to own the gun. I told them this was not my first class 3 transaction and I know how it's done. Took me 2 more months to get my money back.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    IMO, they are high priced and their customer service isn't very good.

It seems like every 6 months or so, I forget why I don't like it there and I go back in. It doesn't take a long time to remember.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Never had any issues at Don's. I always bring all of my own supplies and have never had any issues. Granted their pricing is ridicuolus, but I don't buy guns there I just shoot there.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well, when I win the lottery...

I'm going to build a range for our use. One time $50 set up for a Photo ID key card. Volunteer RO's, and a Proshop.

Again... when I win the lottery.

Top Bottom