• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    But, on a serious note I hate cars, I ride my bike to work every day and the only time I feel safe is when I am in the building. People don't care and lets face it cars win almost every time. Saw an example of this this morning in Franklin, a good sized bagger under a Miller Beer semi. Sad Sad Sad.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've also had cars INTENTIONALLY know I was there and not care about hitting me if I didn't get out of their way.

That's why when I bought my last motorcycle (Yamaha FJR1300),
    besides being suited for everything from driving across town to across the country,
    it was IMPORTANT that it:
    1. handle well,
    2. stop quickly
    3. accelerate quickly.

Concentrating too much on buying a motorcycle that just looks cool and sounds cool can get you run over by some *sshole, when you can't get out of their way fast enough.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've also had cars INTENTIONALLY know I was there and not care about hitting me if I didn't get out of their way.

That's why when I bought my last motorcycle (Yamaha FJR1300),
    besides being suited for everything from driving across town to across the country,
    it was IMPORTANT that it:
    1. handle well,
    2. stop quickly
    3. accelerate quickly.

Concentrating too much on buying a motorcycle that just looks cool and sounds cool can get you run over by some *sshole, when you can't get out of their way fast enough.

Mmmmmmm, FJR. . . . .me want. . . . . .:bacondance:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Everything posted in this thread keeps me from buying a bike even tho I would love to get one. Heck I don't feel "safe" from idiots in my F-150 let alone on a bike.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's not as bad as everyone makes it sound.

I've only had one close call, and it wasn't a big deal. Getting out of the way of a big slow car isn't that hard.

As long as you always have a "bailout" plan in your head, and remain alert, avoiding the normal traffic is pretty easy.

Most motorcyclists create their own problems by riding too fast, or too close, or in blind spots. Some things can't be avoided, but those are few and far between.

Also, if you get outside of the metro area even a little, riding becomes much more enjoyable.

The worst places to ride are 4 lane streets in Indy during rush hour, around construction. Interstate, not so bad, 2 lanes, not so bad, 4 lane rural or even suburban highways aren't that bad either.

I ride all over hendricks county and most of Morgan, Monroe, and Marion, and the only place I really have issue is Washington St. on far west side. So I just avoid it when I can.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    glad your okay, this however does not stop me from putting pennies in the ducati monster jar
    M%20696_10S_LM-Darmah_C01S%20[1920x1280].jpg

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    But, on a serious note I hate cars, I ride my bike to work every day and the only time I feel safe is when I am in the building. People don't care and lets face it cars win almost every time. Saw an example of this this morning in Franklin, a good sized bagger under a Miller Beer semi. Sad Sad Sad.

Dang was that what the backup was about at about 11am?

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Had a similar experience earlier this year. A Jeep Cherokee "merged" across two lanes, aiming for the left-turn lane in front of both of us. Funny thing, the Jeep was behind me ...he had to pass me (in the lane I was in) before he made it to his left lane. I kept the bike up as I headed for the median, then safely got back onto the highway. Gave him a "meep meep!" of my inadequate horn as I passed. Though, really wanted to stop and have a bit of a conversation about his driving ability.

In spite of it all, I love to ride ...and don't see myself giving it up any time soon.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    To the jackass in the volvo wagon @135 and Smith Valley yesterday around 4:00 p.m. I know you saw me as you turned left across my lane of traffic, AGAINST THE LIGHT, because you and your young daughter were both looking right at me as you cut in front of me on my bike. I managed to swerve out of the way missing your car by about 2'. I hope I gave you a little discomfort in having to explain to your young daughter just what exactly the gesture that I made to both you AND HER meant. ASSBAG!!!:xmad:

I called this same message into "Let it Out", but somehow I don't think it'll get printed. :laugh:

O.k, I feel better now. . .

Just because they're looking at you doesn't mean they see you. Way too many people are too busy looking at everything other than the other vehicles on the road in front of, beside, and behind them while driving. There are way too many crappy drivers on the road that shouldn't even be legally allowed to drive bumper cars. If someone isn't quite able to grasp that they could easily kill someone while daydreaming, looking for garage sales, looking at the pretty animals on the side of the road or whatever else their feeble mind decides is more important than focusing on driving, they should be forced to ride a bicycle or walk.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I have put a kevlar and leather encased fist into a drivers side mirror when they decided they wanted my lane while I was there. Nowhere to go, laying on the horn, twit kept coming until their mirror exploded.

Yes, it seems some cagers are daring riders to hold their line.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's not as bad as everyone makes it sound.

I've only had one close call, and it wasn't a big deal. Getting out of the way of a big slow car isn't that hard.

As long as you always have a "bailout" plan in your head, and remain alert, avoiding the normal traffic is pretty easy.

Most motorcyclists create their own problems by riding too fast, or too close, or in blind spots. Some things can't be avoided, but those are few and far between.

Also, if you get outside of the metro area even a little, riding becomes much more enjoyable.

The worst places to ride are 4 lane streets in Indy during rush hour, around construction. Interstate, not so bad, 2 lanes, not so bad, 4 lane rural or even suburban highways aren't that bad either.

I ride all over hendricks county and most of Morgan, Monroe, and Marion, and the only place I really have issue is Washington St. on far west side. So I just avoid it when I can.

I agree for the most part.
    Just let me add that a few weeks ago at about 1:00am, I went to the Kroger in Brownsburg to get a gallon of milk.

On the way back on Northbound HWY 267, I was going through the light where Southbound traffic can turn left and get on Eastbound I-74.

A car getting ready to turn onto the entrance ramp to Eastbound I-74 STOMPED on their gas pedal and INTENTIONALLY tried to hit me.

I hit the throttle hard and sharply accelerated out of their path.

A PRIME example of why I bought my FJR1300.
    If I'd had a basic V-Twin, I'd have been hit for sure.

I try to ride careful and assume I'm invisible, but on more times than I can count, the snappy acceleration of my motorcycle has saved me from being hit.

Top Bottom