• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Any chance of setting out your own sign and starting a consulting business? I'd think that with your education and experience you could be of excellent benefit to the industry.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have--for some time now--had the feeling that it's folk like me (a 45-55 male WASP) who are being overlooked for employment because of our age/demographic. This "stuff" is getting real old folks.

I wonder if it is so much age as it is healthcare. What kind of healthcare did they offer, if any? At my employer, very large employer, healthcare costs have done nothing but skyrocket. However, out of all the people covered (maybe 20,000 people), less than 10% account for 80%+ of the money paid out for healthcare. They didn't discuss this detail any further, so I'm not sure if there is a difference in age groups among that number. I'm sure that figure includes some kids with serious illnesses, but it seems the older people get, the more they cost in terms of health dollars as well. Of course if older people have more health aliments, that usually means more visits to the doctor's office, which means less productivity in the eyes of an employer.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Been there brother. I do have a suggestion. Have several versions of your resume. And don't be afraid to dummy one or two down. You get that foot in the door job and then impress with what you know.

This is true.
    I was out of work for 16 months. I had to take a big hit on salary, but you got to what you have to. I feel the pay will come back because I am a top performer and know what I do well. I was 51 years old, bachelors degree, SPHR certified and 20 years experience. God has a plan for you. Keep plugging away and tailor your resume to each position you applt to. Good Luck!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    "overqualified"

Another way of saying ....I am affraid of you ....You may take MY job

Afraid you'll want to take someone's job or move on after a short time to a better paying job. I encountered that a few times when I was looking for a CNC operator job. They didn't like the fact that I'd taken programming classes and had a business background (with running a small business part time).

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Afraid you'll want to take someone's job or move on after a short time to a better paying job. I encountered that a few times when I was looking for a CNC operator job. They didn't like the fact that I'd taken programming classes and had a business background (with running a small business part time).

I agree with what you are saying and that's why sometime during the interview process, I try to let the potential employer know that I am not one to jump from job to job. My resume reflects that as well. Maybe I'm not convincing enough???

I have had jobs that paid what I would consider "REALLY good money" and it practically sucked the life out of me. Let's face it, most folk don't live to work, they work to make a living. I'm one who will show up when I'm expected to & do what is expected of me, then I go home and live my life. Maybe that's the difference between myself and a 20-something fresh out of college. So many of them live to work only to wake up one day to find out that when it comes right down to it, they weren't as "valuable" to the company as they thought. Pink slip in hand, they schlep out to their car and have no life to fall back on.

I interviewed with a marketing firm in Indianapolis last year. When I arrived, it became clear to me that I was the oldest person in the building. The young lady (one of the VP's) who interviewed me was clearly young enough to be my daughter. She informed me that one night/week, there was a "mandatory" team building "meeting" where they all go bowling or some other group activity and have a "party" whoo-hoo! I don't need to party with my co-workers to build teamwork. Been there/done that.

But here I go again... :ranton:

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the PM's of encouragement and leads BTW. It's greatly appreciated. I know something will come along. The Big Guy upstairs has a plan. :D

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    My boss sort of explained it to me like this last week .... We had an applicant for shipping/receiving that was WAY overqualified. The reason he was turned down was .... they do not want to waste all the time training this person etc when he is just going to move on as soon as he finds a job more to his qualifications. Now im sure some people are just looking for work to make ends meet. But when you find that job that will pay you what you should be making, are you going to stick with the lower paying place you've been at for a couple months?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Sorry about your luck, I had applied for a job where I work and didn't get it. I could have easily done it right out the door, instead they hired someone from outside the company who didn't know anything about our equipment. Kicker, it wasn't my technical ability that I didn't get it, it was because of something in the past (like if someone brought me done a promo to send up, but they didn't have the length or hte number to send it up as and expected me to send it up, I didn't do it).

Z71Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    Any news on the job search?

Yes. Have you had any better luck lately?

I just had a second interview for the 6th different position with my former parent company yesterday. I had to ask who my competition was and I'm up against four other people who have much more experience than I do. I'm hoping that my enthusiasm and work ethic will beat out the other candidates' experience. We'll see though..

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Still looking folks. Thanks for asking though. I'm seriously considering starting my own marketing/consulting/brokerage firm. It's getting REAL close to the time when my UE will run out and I need to have some kind of plan in place should that happen. But heck, at that point, I might as well just get a commission job where at least they offer health/life benefits, right?

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    ggf, I am feeling your pain. I have been in and out of employment off and on since Oct. '08. 57 yo, working w/o let up since I was 15yo and now I can't seem to find an employer that either isn't a liar or who wants a guy who shows up every day ready to work, is punctual, responsible, trainable, and does the freakin' job! Thanks man, I feel a little better now, good luck with the hunt! doubleshock

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    ggf, I am feeling your pain. I have been in and out of employment off and on since Oct. '08. 57 yo, working w/o let up since I was 15yo and now I can't seem to find an employer that either isn't a liar or who wants a guy who shows up every day ready to work, is punctual, responsible, trainable, and does the freakin' job! Thanks man, I feel a little better now, good luck with the hunt! doubleshock

Hey, join the rant Bro. :yesway:

Top Bottom