• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    After watching some of the people survive on mice and rats on the series "ALONE" and "Naked and Afraid", I might just throw a few modified rat traps in my survival gear. There are plenty of modifications on You Tube.

What say you on this forum?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    To quote Monty Python: "I like my strawberry tart without so much rat in it."

I would have to be literally starving to eat mice and rats. But, not saying I couldn't do it if I had to. Seems like rats and mice would be around even if other more common food sources were not.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I thought, depending on the set, you could add birds, squirrels and maybe even rabbits to your catches.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    After watching some of the people survive on mice and rats on the series "ALONE" and "Naked and Afraid", I might just throw a few modified rat traps in my survival gear. There are plenty of modifications on You Tube.

What say you on this forum?

I've seen every episode. Only been one mouse that I recall and no rats and watching him crunch that pancaked varmint almost made me ill. However...I like this idea. A rat trap might very well serve to provide a squirrel or smaller rabbit. I think I would drill a hole in it though and use paracord to secure it to something so a bigger creature doesn't fail to die immediately and makes off with it.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I've seen every episode. Only been one mouse that I recall and no rats and watching him crunch that pancaked varmint almost made me ill. However...I like this idea. A rat trap might very well serve to provide a squirrel or smaller rabbit. I think I would drill a hole in it though and use paracord to secure it to something so a bigger creature doesn't fail to die immediately and makes off with it.

You can see several mods for rat traps on You Tube. I also thought about adding one #330 Conibear trap for larger critters.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I thought, depending on the set, you could add birds, squirrels and maybe even rabbits to your catches.

I keep a couple plain old, rusty rat traps set in my barn for any stray rats my Jack Russells miss. For every rat I catch, I catch 3 or 4 birds.

Top Bottom