• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    Has anybody had any luck with the rattle cans of Durakote? I'd like to get into doing this myself but I don't know if the rattle cans make a quality enough finish to even mess with.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I used their fake blueing that comes in a rattle can on an old .44 with lots of pot metal and its worked out pretty good. I had a few runs that i dealt with using some automotive sandpaper I think 600 was the coarsest i used and probably stopped around 1200.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i bought 3 cans a few years back and had nothing but problems... all was used in less than 30 days from purchase biggest issue was getting it to spray properly nozzles plug easy.... i will not use it anymore.. I believe brownell's gunkote in my option is a better product. I have also had great results from high temp engine paint (its surprisingly tough)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It really depends on the quality your after. I personally stick to using a quality airbrush. I like the control it gives me. But no matter what you do, it's all about your prep work.

I have a supposedly good air brush and compressor. I threw some money at name brands a few years back and have yet to use it. Where do you buy your Duracoat/Ceracoat and in what quantities?

Links to tips, tricks, YouTube or forums for this sort of work?

Breynolds38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought my DuraCoat stuff for my airbrush through https://www.lauerweaponry.com/ a few years back. I used a cheap airbrush which I promptly threw out afterwards, it was so caked in the finish material, but that could have more to do with my inexperience with airbrushes than anything else. I followed Lauer's simple recommendations with their EZ finishing kit and sprayed my upper, lower, and handguard for my AR-15 short barreled rifle build. A single 4oz bottle is more than enough for this, they say 1-4 firearms per bottle. It was very easy to do, and the results were clean and even. I'm sure the proper temperature and humidity have something to do with that, as well as controlling your airbrush well enough not to pool up as you go. My results:

IMG_0042[652].jpg

I haven't used their rattle can spray, but if you're wary about it, you could always buy the kit and get yourself a can of propellant instead of using a compressor. That would avoid any issue with a cheap rattle can nozzle at least, and give you a little more control.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I have a supposedly good air brush and compressor. I threw some money at name brands a few years back and have yet to use it. Where do you buy your Duracoat/Ceracoat and in what quantities?

Links to tips, tricks, YouTube or forums for this sort of work?

I also buy it from Lauer. I order in bulk since I'm a certified Duracoater, but for a single color firearm, their small bottle will do it. Make sure to use tru strip and depending on the weather I use lauers reducer. Your quality will be in your prep work. If you have the ability to sand blast, do it. It will help tremendously over hand sanding.

firek920

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I purchased everything from there site including there air brush. Great fun project. Prep is key as always and take your time with thin coats you will be just fine.

Top Bottom