• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I was into RC cars back in the 90s. First truck was a Tamiya Blackfoot and had an RC10

YouTube - Tamiya Blackfoot

rc10-1987_033.jpg

Bought these RC trucks and boat off smokinfire10 yesterday. Told my wife I had to get them for my son :D :whistle:

picturedi.jpg

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a Tamiya Frog back in the day. Now I have an HPI Nitro RS4. The RC hobby is certainly a money pit. At least guns are worth something when you're done LOL. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm a big fan of RC helicopters. The breakthroughs in miniaturizing them in the last five years has been awesome. What used to be hundreds or thousands of dollars is now $30-$80 and can be flown indoors. The big ones are still more fun, but the little ones are a lot more usable.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I started with a Blackfoot too!!!!! Loved it!!!

I got into Nitro pretty quick as I love to tinker..

I now fly fixedwing...

AT6 Texan 1.0 Nitro 2stroke
    Hellcat 26 Gas
    Midget Mustang 1.0 Nitro 2stroke
    Super Skybolt 26 gas
    Redbull Pylon Racer .72 Nitro 4stroke

I have 3 Nitro trucks
    Tmaxx .18 OS
    Tmaxx .28 Orion
    Revo 3.0 Traxxas

It is a horrible hobby and for awhile I couldn't leave anything stock on the trucks!!

MONEY PIT!!!!!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I always wanted to build a plane. I was a spoiled poor kid though.

I do want to get a mini-helicopter to terrorize my cats.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I had a nitro car, It came with a Lamborghini body, but you of course could change them.

Thing was FAST and FUN, but I got annoyed at having to take the top off just to start it. So if I ever get back into it, I'll find one that has electric starter I can do with the body ON.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, that is a horribly addicting hobby. I started with RC cars:

Tamiya Frog, blackfoot, and lunchbox.
    I had a 48" boat with a weedwacker motor in it, then got into planes. Had many nitros and then found the joys of Lithium Polymer. That was the gateway (drug) to get me into helis. I have 2 450 size helis now. It's amazing how much you can spend in these hobbies. Lots of fun.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I got started RC'ing in the mid 70's when I got a remote control Cox .049 dune buggy as a kid.

Well I should say that that was my first "true RC" because before that I had a little .049 powered car that was tethered to a ground spike by a string, it would go around in a circle over & over again until it either ran out of gas or it had wound itself & the string all of the way up to the spike.

Anyway I still have a few RC cars & trucks that I get out & play with occasionally, I used to enjoy racing them but the local RC scene sort of dried up, I'll try to find some pictures of the massive backyard track that I built back then, I still can't believe my wife let me build that monstrosity! the total track length was only 350' but it was completely laned out with 3' corrugated drainage tubing, it featured huge berms, tabletops, jumps, whoops, triples, water & sand hazards, the complete works.

It was an absolute blast, but the upkeep on it was a nightmare though so without volunteers to help out I decided my free time was better spent doing other things.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I had a traxxas stampede 2wd, it was a blast! Wish it was still running, it's not because they are money pits!:( Nice setup you just got there.

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I've more recently been into smaller formats such as the Kyosho Miniz's. Especially during the winter months. We usually lay a track down in a basement or garage.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i have a rc rock crawler that has $1200 invested in it. a diffident money pit. i had 12 at one time roabably 25 total in the last few years. used to rc at indy slots 2 times a week. 1/18 truck mod and stock, 1/18 rally, 1/18 tourig, 1/18 buggy, 1/10 2wheel drive truck/ 1/10 front wheel drive car, 1/10 4 wheel buggy. only have 6 or 7 now. need to sell a few more.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yes, that is a horribly addicting hobby. I started with RC cars:

Tamiya Frog, blackfoot, and lunchbox.
    I had a 48" boat with a weedwacker motor in it, then got into planes. Had many nitros and then found the joys of Lithium Polymer. That was the gateway (drug) to get me into helis. I have 2 450 size helis now. It's amazing how much you can spend in these hobbies. Lots of fun.

Similar story here, except the boat.
    Still have:
    Super Nitro RS4 Car
    .40 size, and .25 size nitro planes (downsized due to lipo)
    Couple of electric planes
    1 & 1/2 450 heli's (still learning, thus the 1/2).

It would be quicker and less painless to just burn your money, but there's no fun in it.

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    I run an HPI Baja 5b, with a 27cc engine, way more fun than one should be allowed in public.....

I also have a Losi Micro Rally, for those days that I don't feel like being in the weather.

The Baja has to be my favorite, though. Nothing like throwing a 20 pound car around a corner, smoking the tires off, to get me going, gotta say.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'd like to have one of those big HPI Baja's but their price tag is a bit on the salty side.

I do really like my HPI Savage though, it's a very solid truck, it is the RC that I literally take out and abuse the crud out of, it's TVP chassis can take one heck of a beating, it's way faster & way more durable than my Traxxas T-Maxx is.

Now in my T-Maxx's defense, I bought it in 1999 so it is one of the original Pro .15 ones, the newer T-Maxx designs have benefited from 11 years of design refinement & are much faster & more durable than the originals are/were.

Most of my RC's are nitromethane but I have been seriously thinking about getting a couple of Losi micro's for indoor use though, maybe I'll buy a couple for Christmas this year ... I have a Losi XXX-NT that I absolutely love & so I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Losi products.

The only "on-road" RC that I have is an Ofna LD3 that I bought years ago with an intent to use as a parking lot racer but that's about the time the local RC scene started petering out so I have never even bothered to break in the engine in it yet.

It's probably really outdated by now & would probably be murdered on anything other than a short, tight track, even then I'd probably need to swap out the Ofna "red-head" engine in it with something more powerful if I hoped to just keep up with the pack.

Top Bottom