• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've read the reloading noob sticky thread and I'm in the process of doing my research on which reloading kit I should purchase. Hopefully this hasn't been asked before and my apologies if it has...

For those of you that have used both or maybe used more than the two most popular brands, (LEE & RCBS) can you comment in which kit you liked best for the reloading you do? Better built dies, etc?

As a young teenager, my stepfather used to let me help him reload his ammo and as I recall, he had mostly RCBS stuff. I don't remember ever having any issues w/ that brand, but I know a lot of things have changed since the early 80's and I'll admit, I'm "behind" on what's-what these days regarding this equipment. I really enjoyed that stuff.

I'm converting my current home office into a small gun room and I'd like to equip it with the nicest stuff I can afford, based on what has been successful with others also.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Are you loading pistol or rifle?
    How many rounds at one sitting?

I should add that I have multiple single stage presses, a turret press, a Dillon 550b and soon I will have a Hornady lock and load auto press with case and bullet feeders.

I would recommend every one that I have for a specific use.

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Kind of a mix I guess and I didn't realize that one brand was better than the other for different types of guns. I have a .380 ACP, a .38 Special, a .357 Mag, a .500 Mag and a .308 rifle for now, so I guess handgun is what I have most.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm looking into reloading as well and have been doing a ridiculous amount of reading. From what I've seen, it seems any single stage press would be more than sufficient for smaller quantities, perhaps a Rock Chucker kit from RCBS. Those seem to be the most popular recommendation for reliability and simplicity.

I guess it would come down to how fast you want to be able to push those ~100 rounds out. I would like to see others members suggestions as well.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    For 50-100 rounds you'd be fine with a single stage or a turret press.

The best bang for your buck is a Lee IMO. It will do everything an RCBS and Dillion will do at a fraction of the cost. Even the Lee Load Master progressive presses are very nice compared to the Dillion and RCBS. In fact my uncle, cousin, and myself have looked into progressive presses and I've seen the Load Master work. We are able to get the press, dies, ammo boxes, extra turrets, and shellplates for under $400. With the RCBS and Dillion you wouldn't even have bought the press yet.

As far as dies go some people will tell you that Redding and RCBS are better than Lee. I have no experience with anything except Lee dies and after looking at RCBS and Redding I can't see how they could really be any different. Dies are made to such a fine tuned spec that there really can't be any difference that the die itself would make. Any mistakes in a load would be due to user error. The dies won't set your bullet too far or too little by themselves nor will the die make a heavier crimp by itself. They only do what the user makes them do, much like a firearm.

There's my two cents for ya. Many people will probably tell you differently but I'll bet my loads will have the same consistency whether they are made with a Dillion, RCBS, Hornady, or any other type of press/die set.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    For only 1000 rounds at a time I would go with a single stage press. Lee is fine but it is going to feel flimsy and rough compared to a higher dollar press.

You can't go wrong with a RCBS

EDIT I meant to say 100 rounds at a time. Smart phone always mess me up!

Last edited:

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    Sounds like for your purpose---look into RCBS Rock Chucker---built like a tank and should handle your needs nicely.
    Good Luck and stay safe.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    For only 1000 rounds at a time I would go with a single stage press. Lee is fine but it is going to feel flimsy and rough compared to a higher dollar press.

You can't go wrong with a RCBS

Yuuuuuuup!!! been using a borrowed lee pro 1000 progressive.

Just loaded 100rds of 40sw on my Uncle's RCBS single stage. Took a heck of a lot longer, but I think I am in LOVE!!!! Sorry Lee....

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I love my Lee Classic Turret Press. It is strong and rigid, and runs smoothly. I use it in single stage mode and setup my progressive when I have more than 100 rounds to load. Otherwise I batch load on the LCT.

Once I got it I gave my single stage to a friend.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I love my Lee Classic Turret Press. It is strong and rigid, and runs smoothly. I use it in single stage mode and setup my progressive when I have more than 100 rounds to load. Otherwise I batch load on the LCT.

Once I got it I gave my single stage to a friend.
    So if I understand you correctly, with the Lee press, you can switch back/forth from single to double stage depending on your needs?

Does RCBS do that too?

I didn't know if that was possible from either kit and if it is, that's a pretty handy feature to have!

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    So if I understand you correctly, with the Lee press, you can switch back/forth from single to double stage depending on your needs?

Does RCBS do that too?

I didn't know if that was possible from either kit and if it is, that's a pretty handy feature to have!

Regarding the Lee that is correct. You can do that with their turret or either of their progressive presses (Pro 1000 or Loadmaster). It takes a few seconds to remove the part that performs the automatic indexing (moving the shell or turret).

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    I use both Lee and Dillon presses. You can never go wrong when starting out with a good, heavy single stag press such as the Lee Classic Cast (what I have) or the Rock Chucker. You will always have a use for that single stage. So to start thats what I would recommend, will keep things simple while you learn the process. As you get comfortable reloading, you can decide whether the single stage does everything you need or if a turret press or a progressive press will better suit your needs. Good luck, have fun, and be SAFE!
    By the way, one thing a lot of folks overlook as they begin reloading is printed information, be sure to get yourself two or three manuals (or more) and read them, not just the load data. Even an experienced reloader can learn something from all the great info in the front half of those manuals.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Yes. You remove the turret, pull out the auto-indexing rod, and put a turret in, and then you can load just like any single stage press.

To go back to auto-indexing, pull the turret, put in the rod, set the turret in place, make sure the "timing" is adjusted, and your back in auto-indexing mode.

Does RCBS do that too?

No, the RCBS only operates as a single stage press. Yes, it is handy. You can leave your dies set up on the turret and caliber changes take just a few seconds, and no die adjusting. It is very handy, and like I mentioned, it completely elimimated my desire to have a single stage press.

If you buy multiple Pro AutoDisc powder measures you don't even have to adjust the powder measure when you switch calibers, just throw a few charges and weight them to double check, and start loading.

The LCT is the best money I ever spent on reloading. Also the spent primers go right in the trash/recycle bucket.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks to all who had good advice, as it certainly helps in my decision. I'm leaning toward the LEE stuff so far, since it has a pretty cool feature that others don't- at least for me needs. I'm planning on buying the main stuff once, so I've got to plan for the future so I'm covered. :)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds like you have made your decision. I doubt that you will be upset with Lee products. I have two of their single stage presses that I have been using for going on 10 years. I started reloading on my dads Rock Chucker (RCBS) and yes, it is nicer than the Lee presses, but I have not had any issues with the Lee that has made me regret the choice. Depending on what you are loading, and the pistol/rifle that you are loading for, some other companies dies may prove to be better in specific applications.
    As an example, I load .308 Win for my CETME, and while the Lee dies do work, and with a good bit of attention to detail the loads run smoothly in the rifle, I have found that the RCBS small base dies are a bit smoother, and the finished product seems to run in that particular semi-auto better than the loads produced with Lee dies, YMMV. As I have stated, Lee dies work, but there are other brands that you may find more to your liking that will still work in the Lee presses.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    If you want a single-stage press, look at he Lee Challenger with bushings, the Hornady L-N-L Classic with bushings, or the Forster Co-Ax press (IMO, the best of class).
    If someone talks you into the RockClunker, get the Hornady insert so you can use Hornady bushings with your dies. Also, prepare to pick up spent primers from the bench and floor.
    If your reloading needs are large enough, you might want the Lee Classic Turret. You can use it as a single-stage or as a semi-progressive. It is my choice for loading bottleneck cases.
    As far as single-stage press kits go, I would get the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit
    on sale at MidwayUSA for $259.00.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm using a Lee single stage as well. I have loaded 1,000 rounds so far, mostly 9mm but some .223 as well. Use the bushings and it's easy to switch dies without having to re adjust them.

Top Bottom