• ...and so much more!
  • billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    If someone talks you into the RockClunker, get the Hornady insert so you can use

If you want a single-stage press, look at he Lee Challenger with bushings, the Hornady L-N-L Classic with bushings, or the Forster Co-Ax press (IMO, the best of class).
    If someone talks you into the RockClunker, get the Hornady insert so you can use Hornady bushings with your dies. Also, prepare to pick up spent primers from the bench and floor.
    If your reloading needs are large enough, you might want the Lee Classic Turret. You can use it as a single-stage or as a semi-progressive. It is my choice for loading bottleneck cases.
    As far as single-stage press kits go, I would get the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit
    on sale at MidwayUSA for $259.00.

I have a cure for primers on the floor with my RockChucker press--
    Hint: Comes FREE with a soft drink at any Quickie Mart/Fast Bugger!! Bill.

Sterling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Jamestown, IN
    My first press was a Lee that I bought at the 1500. It was a very discouraging piece of equipment to work with. I tried a Dillon my friend had and bought one shortly thereafter. It was like going from a yugo to a mercedes.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    My first press was a Lee that I bought at the 1500. It was a very discouraging piece of equipment to work with. I tried a Dillon my friend had and bought one shortly thereafter. It was like going from a yugo to a mercedes.
    One quick question and one comment...

1. What is this "1500" I keep seeing everyone refer to? (sorry for the noob question...)

"Yugo to Mercedes"..... Hahahaha! Wow! That's really paints a picture don't it? :laugh: My high school GF had one of the POS's.... What a rattle trap!!

Just when I thought I wasn't confused anymore.... :dunno: Is there a show or event somewhere that I can attend to see/work these presses in person? I've always been kind of a "touch it before I buy it" kind of guy anyway..?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    One quick question and one comment...

1. What is this "1500" I keep seeing everyone refer to? (sorry for the noob question...)

"Yugo to Mercedes"..... Hahahaha! Wow! That's really paints a picture don't it? :laugh: My high school GF had one of the POS's.... What a rattle trap!!

Just when I thought I wasn't confused anymore.... :dunno: Is there a show or event somewhere that I can attend to see/work these presses in person? I've always been kind of a "touch it before I buy it" kind of guy anyway..?

When people say "1500" they are talking about the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show. It comes around every few months and you can find just about anything you want there.

As far as working the presses before you buy them you will most likely have to find people who have them and are willing to let you try them out. At Cabela's they usually have a few presses set up but of course you don't actually have dies and everything else to go in them. You might talk to Andrew (Aszerigan is his screen name on INGO) and see what he has set up for his reloading classes. You might even consider taking his class before you start as he'd be the best one IMO to answer your questions about reloading.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I started reloading in 1975 on a Lee Spartan press which I still use to reload my .308 rounds with. I have never been disappointed with this press or the Lee dies I use with it. The rounds I have reloaded with it have always performed to my satisfaction. I have since moved on to progressive presses for other rounds but will continue to reload the .308 on the single stage press, mainly for quality control.
    My first progressive press was the Dillon Square Deal I used for .357 mag. Great little press that performed very well. The only draw back was the press specific dies that had to be purchased from Dillon. I am not saying the dies were no good mind you, just that they were specific to the press and could not be used on any other press easily, nor could other dies be used on the Square Deal easily.
    My second progressive press was the Lee Pro 1000. I loaded 9mm on this press. At first the press worked ok but it seemed I was continually having to adjust, tinker and modify to keep it working. I finally gave up and stopped using it.
    Last year I purchased a Hornady LNL press and am still familiarizing myself with it. So far it has worked well on 9mm. I have not tried .357 mag or .223 on it yet but have the dies. My plan is to use the LNL to replace the Square Deal and the Lee 1000 for reloading the above cartridges.
    Others have recommended starting on a single stage press and then moving up once you are comfortable and successful on the single stage. I too recommend this sequence. Learning the basics on a single stage made the transition to a progressive much easier since I knew the steps involved and was comfortable with the reloading process.
    Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm a bit on the essentic side, but I started with Lee simplicy, "graduated up" to the more expensive brands, and after a few years realized that I never once had a bad reload from the Lee stuff when I used it, which I can't say for the other brands. I'm now back to the Lee simplicity and love the money I save so I can shoot more.

Since I enjoy tinkering with stuff I just may give the Loadmaster a try in the future so I can actually have experience on a couple different progressives.

Top Bottom