Ready to bail out the 1.2 quadrillion derivatives market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The story ran in the online version of the Wall Street Journal Thursday May 24,2012.Not many noticed.

Review & Outlook: A Mess the 45th President Will Inherit - WSJ.com

Little noticed is that on Tuesday Team Obama took its first formal steps toward putting taxpayers behind Wall Street derivatives trading — not behind banks that might make mistakes in derivatives markets, but behind the trading itself. Yes, the same crew that rails against the dangers of derivatives is quietly positioning these financial instruments directly above the taxpayer safety net.

The authority for this regulatory achievement was inserted into Congress’s pending financial reform bill by then-Senator Chris Dodd.

Specifically, the law authorizes the Federal Reserve to provide “discount and borrowing privileges” to clearinghouses in emergencies.

To get help, they only needed to be deemed “systemically important” by the new Financial Stability Oversight Council chaired by the Treasury Secretary.

Last year regulators finalized rules for how they would use this new power. On Tuesday, they began using it. The Financial Stability Oversight Council secretly voted to proceed toward inducting several derivatives clearinghouses into the too-big-to-fail club. After further review, regulators will make final designations, probably later this year, and will announce publicly the names of institutions deemed systemically important.

We’re told that the clearinghouses of Chicago’s CME Group and Atlanta-based Intercontinental Exchange were voted systemic this week, and rumor has it that the council may even designate London-based LCH.Clearnet as critical to the U.S. financial system.

U.S. taxpayers thinking that they couldn’t possibly be forced to stand behind overseas derivatives trading will not be comforted by remarks from Commodity Futures Trading Commission Chairman Gary Gensler. On Monday he emphasized his determination to extend Dodd-Frank derivatives regulation to overseas markets when subsidiaries of U.S. firms are involved.

Rest of the story at the WSJ link,and more information at As An Encore to Bailing Out the Big Banks, Government to Backstop Derivativees Clearinghouses

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence

Whew! I did get to blow off steam and stayed safe doing it. Quoting the Founding Documents can't get me in trouble .........

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence

Whew! I did get to blow off steam and stayed safe doing it. Quoting the Founding Documents can't get me in trouble .........

In this day and age yes you can. I'm sure you are on the secret watch list that big brother has and one day you will be taken away quietly in the night.

As for the american :sheep: they DO NOT care as long as they have (which last I checked they do)

• food they can buy or are given food
    • dancing with the stars on TV
    • etc, etc..

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In this day and age yes you can. I'm sure you are on the secret watch list that big brother has and one day you will be taken away quietly in the night.

As for the american :sheep: they DO NOT care as long as they have (which last I checked they do)

• food they can buy or are given food
    • dancing with the stars on TV
    • etc, etc..

Is this something like my rule of thumb that the sheep will be happy so long as they are warm, dry, fed, and get laid once in a while?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    First added to the list are.....

The insurance company list is currently in committee over at the CFTC,but rest assured no insurance company who makes enough campaign donations,errrr I mean who has a large market cap***errr um who is systemically important will be left off the list.

So there you have it.The US taxpayer is now not only backing the largest 29 banks(only 9 of which are based in the USA),the derivatives market and the companies who deal in them,but we also now back insurance company's.

I would almost be willing to bet COMEX will be the first that needs to be bailed out.Why? Silver contracts.5 days until December delivery starts.Dealer inventory on the COMEX sits at 35.054 million oz as of Friday 11/23/2012. Total contracts standing as of the same date for December delivery 44,009 at 5000 ounces per contract or 220,045,000 ounces.Just slightly more than the COMEX can deliver.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    After the sheep are well fed, have their phones and everything else handed to them, they will be required by obama-care to take free showers. Pay no attention to the black smoke coming from the huge brick building next to the federal free showers.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    After the sheep are well fed, have their phones and everything else handed to them, they will be required by obama-care to take free showers. Pay no attention to the black smoke coming from the huge brick building next to the federal free showers.

Only 19 posts and Godwin's Law is already in effect.

Impressive! :ingo:

GodwinsLaw_zps11073fea.jpg

Godwin's Law - As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom