• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    And I think I've decided to start with some .45Colt since they're so pricey.

My question is, what bullets do you guys like?
    I'd like to do some loads for just plinking, but I also some for hunting.

Where do you buy your bullets?

Thanks

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    .45 Colt Lead..

Welcome to the cast bullet load world..

I have been loading a 255gr. RNFP bullet that I cast in a Lee mold that shoots well in my Ruger.

Missouri Bullet Company

^^^Brad, and the folks at Missouri Bullet Co. are super!!

You would be wise to stay with the Brinelll #12 hardness unless you are wanting to load 'Super Magnum' loads..Bill.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Another question.
    How many rounds of .45Colt can I expect to average from a lb of Titegroup?

I'm just looking for an approximation.
    I'm trying to determine what my cost per round will be with all new components.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Other powders are more well suited for 45 colt but your looking at more then a thousands per pound depending on the load

O.K. I'm up for suggestions.
    This will be my entry into reloading and I looked at the manuals and just picked a powder from there.
    I see they also have recipes for Unique, and Universal.

What do you recommend?

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I use either Berry's or Extreme plated bullets for 9mm, .38 & .357, and .45ACP. Not quite as cheap as lead, but current price is about $135 a thousand for .45. These work fine for plinking and shooting paper.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have been shooting SASS matches with my wife for 17 years w/ 45 Colt. I load 200gr RNFP to reduce recoil for the wife. I load with Clays powder, a little below starting load. I can get 1666 rounds per pound of powder, so the math says. Titegroup will be less, since it uses more powder.

My loads are light, but both my Vaqueros shot at the same POI with that load. That is something that is important to me, since we shoot two revolvers in cowboy. I have some heavier loads with 250gr RNFP using 10gr AA#5. It is a pretty good load and I do well in the long range side matches at 100 yards with the revolvers and rifle.

You did not state the purpose of the ammo. If you want light loads, check out Hodgdon's basic loading manual. They have a section for cowboy loads. Nice, light loads for target and plinking.

I get my 200gr RNFP from Zero bullets. They are swaged and work great for low lower loads. We buy as a group and get the > 30,000 discount, their lowest price. The bullet runs $74.08/1000.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Titegroup..

Another question.
    How many rounds of .45Colt can I expect to average from a lb of Titegroup?

I'm just looking for an approximation.
    I'm trying to determine what my cost per round will be with all new components.

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading
    ^^^
    For a 200gr. projectile in a .45 Colt you are looking @ about 7.0gr. of Titegroup for a Mid-range load.

7000gr. of powder per Lb. , so you are looking @ 1000 rounds of this load...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Unique..

O.K. I'm up for suggestions.
    This will be my entry into reloading and I looked at the manuals and just picked a powder from there.
    I see they also have recipes for Unique, and Universal.

What do you recommend?

IMO, Unique powder IS a better powder for .45 Colt loads.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

^^^ Be advised that these are MAX loads listed for the Speer 200gr. LSWC, swaged bullet. You should drop at least 10% for your starting loads, so 8.5gr. or so should be your starting point. You should get about 824 loads using this charge from a Lb. of Unique...Bill.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You did not state the purpose of the ammo. If you want light loads, check out Hodgdon's basic loading manual. They have a section for cowboy loads. Nice, light loads for target and plinking.

I will check out Hodgdon's manual.
    I have, and have been reading the Lee manual, the Speer #12 manual, and Sierra's 50th anniversary edition for handgun reloading.

The purpose, to start, is just for plinking loads in a Taurus Judge, and to get my feet wet reloading. I thought the .45Colt would be an easier round to start with than some others.

Eventually I would like to work up some very hot .45Colts for hunting in a Raging Bull .454Casull, and a Thompson Contender in .45Colt, and probably in a Rossi M92 .454Casull lever action rifle.

For now I just want to get started

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I will check out Hodgdon's manual.
    I have, and have been reading the Lee manual, the Speer #12 manual, and Sierra's 50th anniversary edition for handgun reloading.

The purpose, to start, is just for plinking loads in a Taurus Judge, and to get my feet wet reloading. I thought the .45Colt would be an easier round to start with than some others.

Eventually I would like to work up some very hot .45Colts for hunting in a Raging Bull .454Casull, and a Thompson Contender in .45Colt, and probably in a Rossi M92 .454Casull lever action rifle.

For now I just want to get started

For light target loads, I suggest a 200gr lead bullet with a fast powder. I use Clays, but Bullseye, Red Dot, and other fast powders would work. There are even lighter bullets for cowboy action, but I never went below 200 grains.

For very hot loads, I suggest a 255gr cast bullet with a magnum powder like 2400, AA#9, and 4227. Win 296 and H110 (they are the same powder) would work. I never used them since they are less flexible on loading down a little and I think they require magnum primers. Unique or AA#5 is good for decent velocity, but not max.

Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    I have had good luck using 9 grains of Unique with 205 grain RNFP bullets. They are a little hotter than the cheap cowboy factory loads and they burn much cleaner.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have had good luck using 9 grains of Unique with 205 grain RNFP bullets. They are a little hotter than the cheap cowboy factory loads and they burn much cleaner.

Too hot for a Judge?
    I'm completely new at this so I don't want to take any chances. Once I get started, I'd like to think I'll be reloading for another 40+ years or so, with all my digits.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Here's the Thing...

Too hot for a Judge?
    I'm completely new at this so I don't want to take any chances. Once I get started, I'd like to think I'll be reloading for another 40+ years or so, with all my digits.

To quote you "I'm completely new at this"--So here it goes..

Alliant powder Co. calls for 9.5gr. of Unique as MAX LOAD for a 200gr. Speer Lead SWC, so 9.0gr. of Unique IS safe--BUT--and it IS a big BUT---Are you sure of your scales+the way you weigh your charges??

As I said upthread, 8.5gr. of Unique, for a 200gr. Lead SWC should be a good starting point for you to 'Get your Feet Wet', so to speak.

One of the most common (and dangerous) mistakes for the new handloader is with the powder charges. Check, check, and re-check--THEN re-check again!!

Be SURE to zero your scale first-Without moving your scale AT ALL-weigh 3 QUALITY bullets, and devide by 3. Most quality bullets will be within 1 grain of posted weight. When I check my scale, I use 3 Sierra 50gr. .224 bullets. My (total) weight with these 3 will be 149.5 to 150.5gr. This I know works with Sierra, Speer, and Hornady bullets, for the most part.
    You will NOT get that accurate of a reading with cast/swaged bullets for the most part.

With Unique powder you have some room for error (.5gr.+/-). With some powders, like Titegroup/Bullseye/A-A # 2, you do not have as much 'Wiggle Room'

As every experienced handloader will tell you, start LOW on your charges+work your way up...Bill.

PS: You WILL get your guns dirty with these lower charged loads--Guns are easier to clean than blood from body parts, due to overcharged loads..

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    To quote you "I'm completely new at this"--So here it goes..

As every experienced handloader will tell you, start LOW on your charges+work your way up...Bill.

PS: You WILL get your guns dirty with these lower charged loads--Guns are easier to clean than blood from body parts, due to overcharged loads..

Bb,
    I do appreciate your candor, and believe me I am heading every word.
    I purchased my equipment more than a year ago and have been slowly reading no less than 3 different manuals, not to mention reading countless interwebz posts, and magazine articles.
    I've talked to a few people that reload in person.
    I'm trying to be as cautious as I can, thus the time lapse from purchase to present.
    The questions are because I want to be sure.

I have no problem cleaning firearms. Been doing it for more than 40 years.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have no problem cleaning firearms. Been doing it for more than 40 years.

Same here 'derf''

I'm one of "Those Guys" that enjoy handloading+gun cleaning almost as much as shooting them..HA HA..

Got my first press (RCBS RockChucker) back in '70' or '71', and it's still my 'Go To' press, for single-stage loading--Dillon RL550 when I want to speed up things..

You will do fine with your loads..Bill.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Same here 'derf''

I'm one of "Those Guys" that enjoy handloading+gun cleaning almost as much as shooting them..HA HA..

Got my first press (RCBS RockChucker) back in '70' or '71', and it's still my 'Go To' press, for single-stage loading--Dillon RL550 when I want to speed up things..

You will do fine with your loads..Bill.

Looking around locally I can't find any powders with one exception.
    I have some Trail Boss that a friend told me would be good for sub-sonic .308.

Without prompting, someone on another site recommended Trail Boss as a possibility for .45Colt.

Would you by chance have a recipe for Trail Boss?
    I can't find it in my books.
    I'll need to check it out on their web-site, but I was just wondering if anyone here uses it?

Top Bottom