• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    So for once I've stumped google, or I'm not using the proper search words. There's lots of expertise in vast areas here so I'll give it a try.

My house has a detached 2 car garage and a shed. In the fall I got a loaner 3rd vehicle from a family member with 4 wheel drive to help me commute to South Bend every day. Basically, since I wasn't using the shed I cleaned it totally, ripped off the doors and can now fit my car in there with about 7 inches clearance on either side mirror. I've used it all winter, it's been great.

I just got my home appraised for a refi and it came back 30K over what I paid in 2008 (WHOHOO!!!!!) - On the appraisal it naturally lists the 2 car garage and 1 shed.

What's the technical definition of shed vs garage? I'm sure if I could get the shed counted as a garage, thus giving me a 3 car garage - it would increase my value even more no? I'm very happy with the appraisal, now I'm just being greedy.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    A garage is designed to store or park a vehicle. A shed is usually a smaller or cruder structure that is more for general storage than for a vehicle. Watch out or the tax appraiser will get you for all of that increased value!

Does the shed have a concrete floor? Does it have an overhead door? If it has at least a 7 foot wide overhead door, and a concrete floor, it can probably pass as a garage, otherwise, probably not. But you can call it anything you want...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm confused, are you selling your house? If not then a higher appraisal will only make you pay more in taxes.

Does a driveway lead to the shed?
    You said you "ripped the doors of" the shed, so it's not enclosed...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, this is a bit of a trick question.

What city do you live in? Zoning ordinances and treatment of "outbuildings" or "secondary structures" can vary widely (the non-livable buildings can have different labels). It is also important to note when the structure was built and what the zoning was at the time.

Basically, this is not legal advice to you or any other person, just a description of how the analysis would go, you have a home and 2 secondary structures. That's also probably what you had when you bought the property. Everything else depends on the zoning in your particular area.

There are too many variables to give a "real" answer. One takeway is that, as noted above, your taxes may go up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Y..Basically, this is not legal advice to you or any other person, just a description of how the analysis would go,...

Sack up, son! ;)

Anyhoo, This could be local ordinance, but also real estate practice at work. BTW- if you start representing something as a garage that was never inspected and signed off as a garage....you may create some issues for yourself.

BTW: This is not legal advice to you or any other person, just a description of how the analysis would go.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    A 3 car garage fits 3 cars and is all 1 structure. You are describing a 2 car garage (attached or detached not mentioned), and a separate 1 car "detached garage" with no doors as you stated. I think most, if not all appraisers would call it a shed (or carport) at best, which adds little to no value. Leave well enough alone unless you like higher taxes.

I added a shed (mini barn 12x16-no foundation) to my recreational property that has no other structures. Taxes went up 40% in 1 year.

FWIW, refi appriasals are almost always higher than assessed value.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks everyone, Correct, not a 3 car garage, just garages for 3 cars. My assessed value is really close to the the appraisal I just got back. I guess I was thinking more down the road, like 5-10 years from now if/when I decide to sell.

Here's essentially what it is, I'm going to widen the entry a bit and knock out those benches so the door can more fully open. I'm not sure how to embed a photo from my iphone, so check the link. Thanks again.

http://s27.postimg.org/vhiuxwwar/image.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My assessed value was only $1500 more than the appraisal I just got back.

Dude. If your AV is more than a refi appraisal, you may want to appeal your assessment. It isn't difficult and you have proof of Fair Market Value.

At least get the comparisons the assessor is using for your property.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Would it be worth it on $1,500? How do I appeal? Call and ask? This is the first time I've ever dealt with this kind if thing. First home, first time refi and I just got the appraisal yesterday. I'm always open to saving money!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Whether its worth it depends on how you value your time. If it has been assessed too high for several years, you may be able to get a credit for past "over payments."

A call to your township assessor would be a start. They may have forms for that kind of appeal. I did one for myself a few years ago (more than a $1,500 difference). It was painless, but unsuccessful. I didn't have an appraisal for less than the AV. :) I went purely off of comparisons.

Top Bottom