• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    You seem really opposed to selling proper camping clothing, which is a necessity for proper camping IMO. If your goal is to get people who are willing to spend significant money to be outdoors, then outdoors clothing is important.

I live camping. I take my dogs on a hike in the woods almost every day.
    I wear out boots, pants, socks, shirts, and jackets way quicker than guns or knives.

I am not opposed to selling proper camping clothing, I just want to sell stuff that is actually for camping. I am not interested in selling warm-up pants and tennis shoes. I can see stocking a lot of stuff like I see at Rusted Moon Outfitters.

I am also not a big camper/hiker so I would need to get someone who is really personable and knowledgeable to help out with camping and hiking equipment. You are right, these items wear out a lot quicker than a gun or a fishing rod.

You keep talking about used guns. I think that you seriously overestimate the availability of used guns. Ten years ago they were common in many shops. Now sites like the classifieds here and Armslist make it easy to sell to an individual for more than a shop can pay.

I think you may underestimate the volume of used guns that can run through a gun shop. With a good used gun selection, internet marketing, fair prices paid for guns and knowledgeable staff, used guns can be plentiful. I know a guy who was buying and selling used guns and doing decent volume out of his house. He was at gun shows and did a lot of internet sales through Gunbroker.

Also, I am not going to start a business based on used guns, but there is no question they can help boost your margins.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I would cautiously counsel that a Gunbroker et al. presence for your shop's used items is not a bad idea, and probably wouldn't take THAT much time.

I've found a few really really nice items on the internet that almost NO local shop would have ever had, used or otherwise. When you get something like that, increasing it's market exposure is a pretty good idea, so you don't have it sitting on the rack for 496 days doing nothing but getting booger hooked.

-Nate

I agree 100%.

Top Bottom