• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I was shooting .38 SPL at a friend's farm once. He had a brush/trash pile he used for a back stop. Every so often I would hear something sounding like "wheeeee....". Come to find out there was a heavy metal electrical box buried in the brush.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It looks like the bullet hits the pole and bounces off the ground about 2/3rds of the way back to the shooter. I don't think it could have much force behind it if it did indeed hit the shooter. I was shooting ap at a steel plate one time and found a steel core a few feet behind and to the left of where I was shooting just laying on the ground. It couldn't have had much force on it to only fly that far and just lay on the ground. I don't know what kind of ammo that guy was using but It most likely would have exploded on impact of the pole.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Aside from the obvious stupidity of putting a target on a steel pole eventually damaging the steel pole, if the bullet DOES richochet and doesnt hit the shooter, it is going somewhere. It the bullet GLANCES the pole and doesnt disentegrate, you now have an issue with a round going stray and probably ending up in a person's home, causing a crapstorm of protest against shooting.

The tannerite explosion then this stuff really makes me want to reiterate: If you do something stupid and tape it (even if you dont), SOMEONE will call you out on it. That call out could be a "hey stupid" to a bill before congress threatening our lifestyle.

I see ALOT of new faces at ranges and gunstores due to Obama's presidency. I also see alot of the same stupidity and urban legends popping up online and in the stores/ranges everywhere where people that have barely handled a gun in their life are now becoming "experts". Those who are in the know really need to step up and help out new shooters or those "misinformed". We cant depend on the gunshop owners or range officers (though the guys at Eagle Creek are a HUGE help to new shooters) to do this anymore. If you see something or hear something that will get someone either killed/hurt/maimed/close called, tell them that is a bad idea. Instead of separating the "leet" from the "noobs", sit down with them and tell them why that is not a good idea. Too many of the "old timers" are getting fed up with new guys coming up with stupid stuff, but there is only misinformation and lack of proper instruction to blame.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Saw that video the other day... I think it was on TV, actually. One of those "video" shows or whatnot. Said that this guy's Canadian (not that it matters).

It did indeed leave a nice gash upon his noggin!

Know your target and what lays beyond!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Watching the slow-mo and seeing the dirt kicking up from the bullet as it bounces back, I'd have to say "real." I've seen it before, when I had a .22 ricochet back at me kicking up dust just like that, before the bullet came to a stop between my legs where I was sitting. About 3" from the happy place :nailbite:

That's how a 17 y/o Joe learned not to be an idiot about what he shot at!

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I've seen videos like this before, one of a guy shooting a Barrett that gets his muffs knocked off.

I'm not sure what goes through your head when you decide to do something like that. I realize not all people may understand safe gun handling practices, but what happened to plain old common sense?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Common sense.........

.......................................... but what happened to plain old common sense?

Great and often-asked question! Sadly, the answer is that common sense isn't all that common any more.

It doesn't take a steel plate or pole to get fragments back at the firing line. A backstop with a lot of embedded bullets can do the same thing at short ranges.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    "We're not doin' that any more."

Ya, think? :D

Amazing that it cam almost perfectly back though. Must have had the plate almost exactly perpendicular.

Top Bottom