• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The thing about Amazon is that they at least try to make things right. I've had things not delivered when they were guaranteed and had them refund me the money, then when the order got there a couple days later, they said keep it. I don't know if they do things that way any more, as that example was a few years ago, but fortunately when I order from them I usually don't need my order right away. If I do I get it local.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not new that Amazon uses USPS for last mile delivery, they were doing this regularly in 2015 for my orders.
    Yeah this has been common where we live every since we got into online ordering. Frankly, our USPS carrier is more professional than most of the UPS and especially 90% of the FedEx guys.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is fairly new for us. No exaggeration, Amazon trucks go down my street at LEAST once a day. I'd say confidently that an amazon van passes my house on average 10x a week. And thats not accounting for the uber-like contractors using POVs to deliver small stuff.
    The last time I was north of Martinsville during business hours, I noticed many Amazon trucks running around. I’m not sure where their delivery area is but it’s not south of US-50, I can attest to that. :D

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They probably had one at the closest warehouse and had to send the 2nd from a larger one.

I've seen this. I ordered some shorts. Had a quantity of one, and it was next day, added a 2nd and it went out to 2 days.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The only problem I ever have with Amazon (and it’s not really a problem, just more of a :scratch:) is that they almost always ship items separately. The vast majority of everything I buy is prime, and anytime I have multiple items during checkout, I ALWAYS click the “combine items for one single delivery” option, and I ALWAYS receive multiple deliveries spread out over a few days.

Again, it’s not really a problem, but seems like they could unclutter their website by just getting rid of that option since it’s ignored by their system.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've bought a couple of their "used" items recently and been quite happy with the 50% off their normal price. In both instances the items presented as new.

I've found myself checking Amazon as a source first for almost everything lately. It's tough not to, convenient, quick shipment, easy returns if necessary and doesn't require driving all over town or calling several places to find the item.

I've actually had them tell me to just keep an item vs returning it and still getting my full refund. It wasn't anything real expensive and in one case the item fell apart the first time I used it. It seems like they understand when it costs them $50 to process a $20 return the math just doesn't work.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've bought a couple of their "used" items recently and been quite happy with the 50% off their normal price. In both instances the items presented as new.

I've found myself checking Amazon as a source first for almost everything lately. It's tough not to, convenient, quick shipment, easy returns if necessary and doesn't require driving all over town or calling several places to find the item.

I've actually had them tell me to just keep an item vs returning it and still getting my full refund. It wasn't anything real expensive and in one case the item fell apart the first time I used it. It seems like they understand when it costs them $50 to process a $20 return the math just doesn't work.
    I’ve found items on Amazon that were unobtainable locally, so it’s usually the first place I check when I need something that is even slightly unusual. I bought a new Makita circular saw a couple years ago, and for whatever reason, Makita doesn’t include a rip guide with that particular model anymore. I went to all the big box lumber yards and could barely find an employee that even knew what I was talking about, and an Ace hardware where the guy knew what I wanted but did not have it in stock, and hadn’t had it in stock for quite awhile (I don’t know what people use to rip down boards anymore).

I got on Amazon in Ace hardwares parking lot and sure enough, they had exactly what I wanted, and I had it in hand the next afternoon.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The only problem I ever have with Amazon (and it’s not really a problem, just more of a :scratch:) is that they almost always ship items separately. The vast majority of everything I buy is prime, and anytime I have multiple items during checkout, I ALWAYS click the “combine items for one single delivery” option, and I ALWAYS receive multiple deliveries spread out over a few days.

Again, it’s not really a problem, but seems like they could unclutter their website by just getting rid of that option since it’s ignored by their system.
    The items are at different locations is the simple answer to your question as they would deliver together if they could.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I was getting most orders in 1-2 days on the day Promised or Early ... but in the last couple months they started doing the Handoff to USPS - 90% of the Handoffs have resulted in Late by 2-5 days from Estimates

If they would be honest in the Estimated Delivery and say Friday - I would accept that - but saying Tuesday - then after they get the Money it changes to Delayed and shows up on Friday - is what makes me Mad
    Agreed but for me I grin and bear it, as it still beats not having to deal with the village idiot at one of the big box stores, that possibly will not have what you need any way.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    My observation is buy bigger stuff. Everything I've had handed off to USPS would fit in a small mailbox. e.g. a trolling motor prop and tent pegs (which I was able to buy "used" for less than walmart retail... SCORE!) . Ihavent had anything bigger than a shoebox handed off.

So the solution is only buy things too big for the mailman to put in the box and they'll keep the deliveries in-house. LOL
    Or downsize your mailbox?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    As stated they may come from warehouse local or they may have ran out before they pulled both of your pieces. Had to go elsewhere for the second one. Happens all the time.
    When you clicked submit order they may have shown in stock but how many anxious men clicked right before you did. No inventory system on the planet can stay on top of the Massive amounts of inventory they put out the door.
    Yeah I am sure that is it. Nice thing is my wife thought the flashlight was just the ticket. She does not like the tail switches, so it was perfect for her.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I’ve found items on Amazon that were unobtainable locally, so it’s usually the first place I check when I need something that is even slightly unusual. I bought a new Makita circular saw a couple years ago, and for whatever reason, Makita doesn’t include a rip guide with that particular model anymore. I went to all the big box lumber yards and could barely find an employee that even knew what I was talking about, and an Ace hardware where the guy knew what I wanted but did not have it in stock, and hadn’t had it in stock for quite awhile (I don’t know what people use to rip down boards anymore).

I got on Amazon in Ace hardwares parking lot and sure enough, they had exactly what I wanted, and I had it in hand the next afternoon.
    There in lies one of the biggest benefits!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    While on this topic, the Amazon logistics makes it easy to sell counterfeit items though they are purchased through a reputable source on Amazon. Particularly watch any optics you may buy there.

The reason is reputable vendor sends Amazon 10 optics, counterfeit vendor sends 10 optics of the same model, if the counterfeit are closer to you they send to you from there.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Seems like since covid hit, all deliveries to us by Amazon take a week (or close to it) anymore. Prior to that, we’d get stuff in 2-3 days with Prime but not anymore.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While on this topic, the Amazon logistics makes it easy to sell counterfeit items though they are purchased through a reputable source on Amazon. Particularly watch any optics you may buy there.

The reason is reputable vendor sends Amazon 10 optics, counterfeit vendor sends 10 optics of the same model, if the counterfeit are closer to you they send to you from there.
    Or worse. they comingle stock in some cases. So you buy "from the manufacturer" using them for warehousing, and you could get the bogus one, and the bogus seller's customer gets the real one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder what checking the box that gets you a discount would do when you ask them to combine deliveries?
    It makes everything come slower, but in one box.

And Ive had the opposite experience as Tommy. Ive placed orders for work and home on the same day (charged to different cards), and when they are going to be delivering on Saturday, I just have both orders shipped to my house so I can bring the work stuff into the office with me Monday. They will see all of the items going to the same address at the same time, and will toss both orders in one box.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

This is quite true.

Duracell batteries and Stihl chains come to mind from the list of things I won't buy on Amazon. It's not a small list, and you are right Mike, some stuff you just don't buy online.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Odd update appears my package went from Lebanon Warehouse to Chattanooga then to a carrier in Atlanta? I guess it will be well traveled by the time it gets here.

Top Bottom