• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    How DARE old friends stop and chat in the aisle! They should take care of that stuff on Facebook or something. As for the dad with the stroller and three young kids in tow, "get a clue" buddy. Leave your kids at a sitters and enjoy the day by yourself. What is this world coming to?
    Sounds like the OP would be happier shopping for guns at home, online. Less crowded, less family oriented people, less friends to ruin HIS day.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    Well, with all do respect you have no idea what this fella with the kids has on his plate. Maybe the kids don't have a mom, maybe the mom is sick, maybe he is just a good dad that wants to spend time with his kids. You honestly think he was having the best day? prolly not, I've been there my friend. Don't be so quick to judge.

first: I agree he properly was having more fun at the gun show with the kids and wife than a trip to walmart. lets be honestly I would not bring my kids to black Friday walmart smash and dash sale at 1am. People do but should they.

Secound:: I am the guy who usually says the reason this person is being rude and impolite is he must have had a life changing event (child die, Mom or Dad at any age pass). I was right be hind one of these guys with a double stroller a five year old boy seven or eight girl and a thirty something girl the kids where calling MOM.
    Third: I have to say right out of the gate the guy smacks into some guys ankle (I thought it was going to be game on when this monster of a man wheeled around REAL fast), But like most responsible gun owners he glanced down took in the seen took a deep breath and said please be carful have a nice day.

The point I am attempting to make there are a lot of things I can do, but should I? Where a speedo NO NO and NO. Get that nose ring thing that is all the rage now a days NO.

Fourth: he is expecting everyone to move out of his way, and I know this as I barely got though some of the rows.

I know this does not portray every person with the stroller there is an exception to every rule, but tell me is there really something at the gun show you cant get off the net, local gun store. I am sure there were at least one who wanted to get in and out parked his wife (or the wife parked the husband) out of the way inside warm and ran though real quick ( I know my wife says get me a cup of coffee and come get me when you are done. This one instance just seemed to carry all the ARE YOU REALLY DOING THAT.

Just my opinion.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I just got back from the Valparaiso gun show. Picked up some Tite Group for a friend not a bad price 26.00 after tax (one pound). Back on topic.

But what are people thinking! I saw many people with strollers and not small ones banging into everyone's ankles and shins. Heck I could barely walk down the isle and here is this guy trying to push a stroller and keep three little kids in tow. Get a clue. I believe you should get children involved young but two and three might be a little young to start and the gun show environment is not the place. Watched anther guy who this must be his first time at a show or I hope is was, he picks up a hand gun and turns to show his friend and swoosh as the security cable clears half the table of merchandise.

The old friend thing, In the middle of the row with people waiting to get buy is not the time to STOP and chat up you high school buddy who you have not seen in nine years because you are to lazy to pick up the phone. Move out of the way. I was lucky enough to have the old friend thing hit 6 of the 17 rows I walked down.

JMHO

I'm with you, keep the kids that aren't in grade school at the crib, find a sitter, or don't go.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It's public, it's supposed to be crowded, but I do agree with one thing...only take people with you, who really _want_ to be there. Think of how many extremely bored-looking girlfriends you've seen being dragged around gun shows, obviously disinterested, and "taking one for the team" by being there. Leave 'em home, guys. If you're trying to get them interested in guns, a fun day shooting with you where she comes away with confidence and some constructive skill is the way to do it. Being elbow-to-elbow with a bunch of smelly men who reek of cigar smoke and leer at her is going to make her question what she's getting involved with :n00b: unless she enjoys that kind of thing.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Well, with all do respect you have no idea what this fella with the kids has on his plate. Maybe the kids don't have a mom, maybe the mom is sick, maybe he is just a good dad that wants to spend time with his kids. You honestly think he was having the best day? prolly not, I've been there my friend. Don't be so quick to judge.

and maybe everything is fine and this guy is just an inconsiderate buffoon? That is possible. I agree, a gun show is not a family affair too stroll in your infants. There are better places to take and teach young kids about guns and there are definitely better places to spend time with babies.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I always find it interesting when any generation takes exception to the manners of the younger generation, since they were the ones responsible for teaching these manners to the younger generation. I'm all about family time, and I sympathize with the challenges of making that time happen, but a gun show isn't appropriate to stroller age kids. If your kid can't walk of his own accord, then he should stay home and let gun shows be one of those things that has to wait til he is older. Nice show today with some good and interesting pieces, sadly they all had collector grade prices.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I left the kids in bed and left early. I was there a quick hour or so. Got what I needed and got back home. I will bring them at some point but I know not everyone likes to deal with young children. It can be tough at times. The gun show isn't something they can enjoy much.

I give props for the dude with kids but it is a little selfish. When you take the kids out it isn't about you it is about them at that point.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    How dare someone with a young family go somewhere that they may stop you from moving down the aisle as quickly as you want. The nerve of these people. They should leave the gun shows to the "serious" gun people. You know, the ones without family or the ones who do and who don't mind taking off away from them on their only day off to go play...... Don't like crowds and people of all kinds, don't go to crowded places. And to the people saying it's selfish, really? Who is more selfish, this guy who is fighting a crowd with three kids(you ever tried that?) just so he can spend time with his family and still get to go to a show.... Or the guys there by themselves with no-one but themself to worry about who begrudge him that because it hinders their movement down an isle and it takes them a few minutes longer to get through?

Last edited:

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    You know, you really hit a nerve with me on this one. Let me give you a scenario that is one that I personally lived. Guy has a young family. Works six 10 hour days trying to build a better life. He gets one day off a week. He's tired. He wants to spend every minute he can on that one day with his family. But, he's young, he has other interests and hobbies that he enjoys too and there is not enough time in that one day. So you make a compromise. You spend the entire day with your family. You do something YOU want to do. Then you do something SHE wants to do. Then you do something the KIDS want to do. Not everyone is necessarily going to particularly like every activity.but, it doesn't matter because you are TOGETHER. You aren't missing time with your kids and wife...... Stroller blocking your quick movement or taps the back of heel during a distracted moment? I think you'll live.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can see both sides of this issue. I think everyone needs to have a little patience in these crowded situations, but on the flipside, people should maintain situational awareness, and I'm not talking about the self defense situational awareness. I run into situations at work all the time, where it's not nearly as crowded as a gun show, yet people think that standing in the entrance to a stairwell or blocking a busy hallway is the best place to stand and shoot the breeze. Be aware that other people would like to be able to get to where they're going and step aside or find an "out of the way" place to have your conversation.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    "family time" with the wife at the show? maybe. depends on the wife. "family time" with the toddlers at the show? just because you are together it counts? bull crap. being a father means you make sacrifices. of your hobbies, lifestyle, whatever.
    with that reality check in place, the crotchy grumps need to stop complaining about the kids and the ones with kids need not pretend they are father of the year for dragging the kids to a place they are too young to have any interest in.
    as for actually getting ankle jacked by a stroller - don't care if it's mom or dad, the response is not going to be "have a nice day", if they don't initiate an "I'm sorry first", it's going to be more along the lines if "really? what the hell is wrong with you".
    I would really guess that any guy with a stroller - it's his first time. nobody is dumb enough to repeat that... but people always surprise...

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have taken my kids to the Indy 1500 and they all enjoy it. They like looking at the old guns and machine gun displays set out. They like looking at the knives and cool new guns on display. They will always find something they want to buy as well, a cool t shirt, 550 para cord bracelet, pocket knife. Why would a kid not enjoy that?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Do people push strollers down the fairway at the golf course?

No, but you let a five-year old play a couple of holes and people get pissed about that. I guess it holds them up from drinking their beer and huntimg for their ball in the woods. I would bet that's an activity a kid will remember.

Top Bottom