• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Okay I HAD planned on hunting this year, but it looks like that's shot. First a little background, then what happened. About 5 yrs ago my dad and I acquired permission to hunt where my dad boards his horses. Its great, it borders state forest, we have access to a 200 yd. Easement that covers the entire back of the property. Over those past 5 yrs. We have taken a few deer there. We got the deer pretty much following a consistent path over the course of those 5 yrs, which was a lot of work. We had 2 blinds each, all near major food and water sources and bedding areas, the trifecta, if you will. Now what happened.

This year around January our blinds were destroyed, by logging, the deer paths were obviously disrupted, and so on. So around march and April we started building new ones as a temporary replacement. All the while, scouting for a better spot. Around may we had both had a spot picked for a permanent one, a spot for food plots/mineral licks, and dad picked a spot for a tree stand. Next week he said wed build em and set up the tree stand. Next week came he went camping, no biggie next week then. Next week came, same thing, he went camping. Again, next week he said, well when that next week came, he went out to set up a blind, without me. that day, when I was talking to him he told me specifically he's moving me somewhere else because he wants my area instead, which is where he made the new blind.

A couple weeks later he called me and said we were gonna go set mine up. I waited and waited, nothing. Called him, no answer, I got worried. A few hrs after he was supposed to pick me up he called, and said he went out to set up another blind. I asked why he didn't pick me up then, he said he was still deciding where to put me. Of course I'm wondering, a) I'm not a child, b) I chose my own spots since I was a child, c) why now can't I choose my own?

So by this point its working on July, I'm without a blind, and been run out. Either way, the next week game continued until deer season opened up. Then, as I was about to get my license, on opening day, albeit I didn't really know why I was going to buy one, my car takes a crap. REALLY??!!

So then as I'm talking to my dad later that same day, he tells me he set up the tree stand and decided he would wait until gun season to hunt. I thought that was wierd seeing as he took off the entire 2nd & 3rd week of archery season specifically to hunt. I had told him after hearing that I would just wait till gun season too, so I can get my car fixed. Especially because I had about $150 to spend still for archery season, gun season I'm ready for.

During this same conversation, he asks what I'm gonna use, and I reply with my Rossi .45 colt. He says, "What .45 colt?" . I reply, "The one you shot a few months ago. The lever action." He then says, " You CAN'T use that, that's a HIGH POWERED RIFLE." I asked him then if he has looked at the 2013-14 trapping guide. "I don't need to, shotgun or muzzle loader, anything else can be considered a high powered rifle. And I won't let you hunt deer with a high powered rifle." he says. REALLY!!???

In the end, I might hunt next year, by myself. Watch who you hunt with, they might run you out or worse, tell you that you can only hunt with a shotgun or muzzle loader.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    You are talking about your Dad, right? I ccouldn't imagine any father doing what you said. Something is up.
    Yes, I love my father to death don't get me wrong, but you can't make your family perfect. This is the same dad that instead of showing up for a surgery I had, he went to a bar, so these kinds of things aren't uncommon really for him.
    Maybe yanked Papa's chain once too often? :dunno:
    You see, I had thought the same thing too, but during the most precarious of my years, which wasn't too bad 1 misdemeanor under the age of 18, he was in another state, he moved when I was 11, came back when I was 20, im 27 now. So
    he wasn't really here for me to yank his chain when I would have. He's been back for 7 years so our relationship has been strange. Its mainly about hunting, which has been nice, because before he left that's all we did.
    I understood he was right about not being able to use the .45 long colt in the Rossi after I had reread it later that night, which I apologized for. I was still surprised he called it a high powered rifle, because I certainly wouldn't consider it one, the law might.
    Think back.

Did you **** in his lunch bucket?
    Lol, no. I did ask him why he literally took my blind spot, and said he was going to put me somewhere else? He simply said he liked the spot I chose, not kidding, really said that. I then asked

Am i pissed, not really it was a lot more like i couldn't believe the order it all happened, hence the REALLY!!?? As to the other two posts about wanting time back and what's the point. If I had a time machine I'd give your time back plus some, but I don't. The point either must be lost or is irrelevant, but mainly its someone might take your spot, I was just caught off guard by the HPR comment. Either way if you don't like it ask for mods to delete.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I understood he was right about not being able to use the .45 long colt in the Rossi after I had reread it later that night, which I apologized for. I was still surprised he called it a high powered rifle, because I certainly wouldn't consider it one, the law might.
    No, I think you misunderstood why I posted the link. Your Rossi in .45 Long Colt is legal for deer hunting in Indiana, that's why I posted the link. Show that to your dad, you are good to go. It's only been legal in Indiana for a few years now, but some rifle cartridges are allowed. What your dad is saying about rifle hunting not being allowed was true years ago, but things have changed, your dad just isn't aware of the latest laws. It is true that high power rifles rifles are not allowed, but some rifle cartridges are allowed, including yours. The link I posted is clear on that. Note that the overall length of the .45 long colt is 1.60 inches (officially), which falls into the allowable sizes. Here are the words copied directly from the guide in the link I posted:
    Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So he is the addict and you are the enabler. You only have control over your actions, not his.

Thanksgiving will be priceless when he whips out pics of his huge Buck he shot from your stand. The question is will you choke on your mashed taters or go Dave Chapelle on his ass and keep it real by ***** slappin' his as into next year.

Keep us posted.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    You know, my dad really kind of ditched me this season so I understand the feeling. He's not really a spot on kind of father either, but when it comes to hunting he's always had my back and gave me a sense of direction. I'm not a child by any means, but it is a pretty crappy feeling when a tradition that's lasted years comes to an end.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm sorry to hear about some of your fathers. I'm very thankful I have a good relationship with my parents. They both had bad relationships with their parents so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Remember, you can pick your nose but you can't pick your family.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    No, I think you misunderstood why I posted the link. Your Rossi in .45 Long Colt is legal for deer hunting in Indiana, that's why I posted the link. Show that to your dad, you are good to go. It's only been legal in Indiana for a few years now, but some rifle cartridges are allowed. What your dad is saying about rifle hunting not being allowed was true years ago, but things have changed, your dad just isn't aware of the latest laws. It is true that high power rifles rifles are not allowed, but some rifle cartridges are allowed, including yours. The link I posted is clear on that. Note that the overall length of the .45 long colt is 1.60 inches (officially), which falls into the allowable sizes. Here are the words copied directly from the guide in the link I posted:
    Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.
    Ah, see that's originally what I thought after reading it, but I second guessed myself, then read; " handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.", and thought since they distinguished, colt/long colt, in handguns, but in rifle it just mentions colt, not long colt, that I couldn't in the Rossi due to wacky legislation. Either way, mark thanks for making that clear.
    So he is the addict and you are the enabler. You only have control over your actions, not his.

Thanksgiving will be priceless when he whips out pics of his huge Buck he shot from your stand. The question is will you choke on your mashed taters or go Dave Chapelle on his ass and keep it real by ***** slappin' his as into next year.

Keep us posted.

You know, id actually help him process a deer if he got one out of my stand, crazy as it may sound. Its a good spot, I didn't think it was that good though. And, lol no I wouldn't think of *****slapping my dad, physically, or metaphorically.
    You know, my dad really kind of ditched me this season so I understand the feeling. He's not really a spot on kind of father either, but when it comes to hunting he's always had my back and gave me a sense of direction. I'm not a child by any means, but it is a pretty crappy feeling when a tradition that's lasted years comes to an end.

Yeah, its one of those things you just gotta take in stride. I'm sorry to hear about you getting ditched, kind of as well. I understand where you're coming from, bout traditions ending abruptly, definitely crappy.

I'm sorry to hear about some of your fathers. I'm very thankful I have a good relationship with my parents. They both had bad relationships with their parents so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Remember, you can pick your nose but you can't pick your family.
    Exactly, and I'm glad you've a good relationship with your parents, unfortunately that seems to be rare these days.
    Go to Dr.Phil .com. I think you'll get better answers there.
    Never liked Dr. Phil, maybe montel?(purple implied) In all seriousness though, this wasn't supposed to be an emotional thread, no I'm not looking to be an ingo party pooper. My intention behind posting this was, that there would be others who had their spot taken, or been ditched this year, and might share experiences that reflect that. Then a clearing up of legislation involving hunting cartridges.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Keep us posted.
    Right before he goes Dave Chappelle he's gotta scream "IM RICK JAMES *&^$%" and its gotta be put on youtube or it didnt happen.

Top Bottom