• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Since I can't post feelers in the classifieds, thought I'd check to confirm what I found...

Several years ago I bought an H&K G3 with a Century Arms semi-auto receiver. A couple years after that, I sold it off to my dad. Neither one of us are shooting it, and we're not set up to reload .308, he asked me today if I minded if he tried to trade it off for an AR-15.

What I'm finding on these right now via Gunbroker, is around $700. I bought it as "new" (the receiver was) and I've only ran 40 rounds through it, has 2 german steel mags, mag pouch, and a clamp-on scope mount (not an H&K claw mount). Maybe 50 rounds of .308 with it.

Is $700 a reasonable trade price? I told him for $700 he could probably find a decent AR for trade, he doesn't want a flattop, wants an A2.

Pic below is almost identical, black hardware, smooth finish.

picture.php

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Is it the stamped receiver or the one with the rail on top?

Either way I'd say it's an even trade for an AR/$700-800 IIRC the ones with the rail had more problems QC wise.

My dad bought three original H&K HK91 rifles for $600 a piece in the early 80s. Seeing what they go for now I wish I had a time machine. The Century ones are pretty good rifles but side by side you can feel the difference.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Stamped, no rail, takes a clamp or claw scope mount. I think the mount I have for it may be a B-Square, not sure anymore.

Shot pretty decent with the sights, had a scope mounted but never did get it sighted in, so dad took it back off since the scope is still mine anyway, lol.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    DarkRose,
    I was just down at Kieslers/Orion Arms in Jeffersonville and they had PTR91's for $999 on sale.
    I think you would be much better off for a top shelf brand for only a few hundred more.

Century has hit and miss quality and tend to be just thrown together.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    DarkRose,
    I was just down at Kieslers/Orion Arms in Jeffersonville and they had PTR91's for $999 on sale.
    I think you would be much better off for a top shelf brand for only a few hundred more.

Century has hit and miss quality and tend to be just thrown together.

I'm not looking to buy one, I was just checking value because I sold mine to my dad and he intendeds to try to trade it for an AR-15.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would say a trade would be possible but I wouldn't trade with a dealer necessarily as they will weight the trade in their favor to make a profit on the .308 your Dad will be trading. He would be better off trading it ftf with a private AR owner. $700-750 seems to be a good number on the value of this rifle.

I would advertise it here but make sure folks understand it is an HK kit build, not a CETME, and measure and post the bolt gap. If the gap isn't up to snuff go ahead and spend a few bucks for new rollers, they are very, very easy to install.

As for sporter's comment...just a classic example of people reading the thread title and posting without reading the post itself... ;) sadly enough it is a very common occurrence. I would think anyone who takes the time to post a reply would take the time to read the post but.... :dunno:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    My rifle is an early cast stainless Century build I bought a few years back for $555, and it was either new or maybe fired once. I just saw that JG Sales has cast Cetme rifles for under $600 which is of a little better quality then the stamped Century guns.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I know that your dad is asking for an A-2 instead of a flat top. I would recommend buying a flat top with a detachable carry handle. It will considerably help with resale value in case he wants to eve ditch the AR. A-2s are not nearly as sought after by people these days. You can replace the upper but why not have the best of both options?

Not trying to talk anyone into anything they don't want, but its only a couple of extra bucks and you have BOTH! :)

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    As for sporter's comment...just a classic example of people reading the thread title and posting without reading the post itself... ;) sadly enough it is a very common occurrence. I would think anyone who takes the time to post a reply would take the time to read the post but.... :dunno:

Thanks for the sanctimony bro.

Sorry to make a mistake on your forum.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I know that your dad is asking for an A-2 instead of a flat top. I would recommend buying a flat top with a detachable carry handle. It will considerably help with resale value in case he wants to eve ditch the AR. A-2s are not nearly as sought after by people these days. You can replace the upper but why not have the best of both options?

Not trying to talk anyone into anything they don't want, but its only a couple of extra bucks and you have BOTH! :)

Well, he wants one like he shot and he's used to.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well, he wants one like he shot and he's used to.

With a flat-top and detachable carry handle, like theweakerbrother is recommending, it is just like the fixed handle, but you now have the added ability to remove it, which can be helpful if you ever decide to sell it later on down the line.

As an example. . . .

Here is a fixed handle:

images

And here is a removable one:

AR1253.jpg

Sorry for the theadjack. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. . . . ;)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Like someone said don't try a trade at a gun shop. You won't get what it's worth.
    I'd sell it outright, or trade with an individual who had exactly what your Dad wants.
    If you trade, I'd try to get one of the "better" AR's. Not trying to start a war about who's AR is better/worse. That's a for a different thread.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be trading it at a shop, if he decides to go for it, I'd probably be posting it here for him, especially since I was the one that bought it in the first place, heh.

As for the removable carry handle... I'll let him know, but he tends to be one of the old dogs that doesn't learn new tricks.

Knowing my dad, he's set on fixed carry handle, fixed stock.

Top Bottom