Rebarreling a 250-3000 Savage...is it possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I have an old rifle that my father used to shoot when he was a kid and it's chambered in 250-3000 Savage. Well I can't find ammo any where due to the fact it's an old cartridge and if I do find it, like all rare things in life, it's expensive. I'm looking to see if it's possible to get a new barrel chambered in something that's easy to find and would still work with an action of a 250-3000 Savage. One more thing I didn't previously mentioned, it's a lever action, don't know if that changes anything but I'd really like to get this gun up and running since I have never shot it myself. Any help would be great.

kup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NW IN
    it might be worth something as a collectors item. Maybe post the make.model and pictures. Someone might trade you a rifle in a more common caliber for the lever action as is rather than re-barreling. It can be re-barreled but it will be costly and ruin any collectors value.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Dies and components are readily available. The 87 grain bullet was advertised as the first commercial cartridge to surpass the 3000 fps mark, a major accomplishment at the time. In spite of its age, the round is still a nice deer, coyote or varmint cartridge. Model 99s are rapidly attracting collector interest, and the overall length limitations of the rotary magazine will severely limit any rebarreling options. Keep it as it is, or sell it any buy what you want, IMHO.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Now a days it is called .250 savage and is not all that pricey and is the same cartridge. Older stuff still labeled .250-3000 seems to bring more $, maybe because it's old...

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Now a days it is called .250 savage and is not all that pricey and is the same cartridge. Older stuff still labeled .250-3000 seems to bring more $, maybe because it's old...

Yep. If it is a Savage 99 I wouldn't change it. Last I knew those bring a premium in that caliber and like jcj say's the ammo is not all that pricey. Somewhere around $30 a box.

Top Bottom