• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Looking at maybe reboring to .338 Federal a Mauser refit by the Israelis to .308.
    Anybody worked over the Israeli refits? Good points, bad points?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    What condition is the mauser in? The Israeli mauser conversions are pretty collectible these days and it could be worth significantly less if you start changing stuff around.

If it's one of the ones that's came out of South America Id say go for it, if it's a nice Armscorp import from the 90's then no way.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    As a rifle it's worth to me what it's worth.
    Somebody on the east end of the Med up and changed it to 7.62 NATO.
    It would be pretty nice changed to .338Fed if there's no hang ups I don't know about.
    So, figured I'd ask the forum.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It is your rifle to do with as you please. I just hate to see what could be a $900 rifle have $300 spent on it to turn it into a $500 rifle.

On the technical side I confess I have no idea. The Mauser action is strong, I'm sure it could handle it. I did a quick Google search and found several guys pondering the same thing but didn't find any who have actually done it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Please don't destroy a nice piece of Military history. Maybe you should just list it for sale, and find some beater to destroy.

I tend to agree with this. Finding a more common 8mm Mauser like a Turk or a Yugo might be a better (and less expensive) option for using as your base gun.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I tend to agree with this. Finding a more common 8mm Mauser like a Turk or a Yugo might be a better (and less expensive) option for using as your base gun.

I think by converting from the 308 rifle you would not have to modify the chamber as much.. where as if you had the 8mm mauser there would be extra costs.. 308 & 338 are the same case length. Hell plus if the gun was 8mm why do it, you have more power with that round.. But I am an 8mm bigot..

I am intrigued, any idea what kind of cost one would look at to do such a thing????

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Couldn't he rebarrel to .338 and save the .308 barrel? Best of both worlds as long as he doesn't chop the wood.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I think by converting from the 308 rifle you would not have to modify the chamber as much.. where as if you had the 8mm mauser there would be extra costs.. 308 & 338 are the same case length. Hell plus if the gun was 8mm why do it, you have more power with that round.. But I am an 8mm bigot..

I am intrigued, any idea what kind of cost one would look at to do such a thing????

just how would he be able to shoot a .338 Dia. bullet out of a .308 Dia. barrel?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    just how would he be able to shoot a .338 Dia. bullet out of a .308 Dia. barrel?

He appears to be planning to have the barrel bored out to .338. My guess is that regardless of whether he insists on doing this or acquires a different Mauser action of little historic significance, he will find it a more economical option to simply buy a .338 barrel chambered to his preferred cartridge.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh the barrel will have to be changed.. I am sure the OP knows that.

That's not what he said, although I am sure he will discover that the alternative is a more expensive alternative.

Looking at maybe reboring to .338 Federal a Mauser refit by the Israelis to .308.
    Anybody worked over the Israeli refits? Good points, bad points?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    He appears to be planning to have the barrel bored out to .338. My guess is that regardless of whether he insists on doing this or acquires a different Mauser action of little historic significance, he will find it a more economical option to simply buy a .338 barrel chambered to his preferred cartridge.

A rebore will cost 250 to 400 dollars depending on if the neck will need to be reamed out after the rebore. I don't believe you can buy a barrel, have it installed and chambered in the new caliber for under 400 dollars. JMHO

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Who's going to bore out the barrel and re rifle it ? Was he just thinking about the chamber?

I think he posted this using that rifle to "stir the pot" or troll, maybe bragging about what he has

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Who's going to bore out the barrel and re rifle it ? Was he just thinking about the chamber?

I think he posted this using that rifle to "stir the pot" or troll, maybe bragging about what he has

Well that may be true, but perhaps he was simply using the word rebore in a generic sense, as is needs a new bore by replacing the barrel to boring out the barrel..

As for if OP was bragging, crap, he could just post a photo if the gun and bragged that way.. And God knows the k98 Izzy muser is one heck of a gun and I love them dearly but they are hardly sacrosanct, and have seen a few that could use a new barrel no matter what the caliber. :)

But it would be nice if OP came back with more details.. No matter what , it sounds like a heck of a project.. Perhaps not financially practical... But heck some of the coolest projects I have seen were not the most prudent.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom